Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:42, Donut said:

Assuming you are playing to the rules and taking proper drops etc, Breaking 100 is a big milestone, so anyone just picking up the game and shooting in the 90s, that's good going.

Some things at this stage will help you quickly become better:

1) Try and take out all the penalty shots, like going into water, out of bounds etc. This will obviously happen some of the time, but really try and minimise these shots as theyre just a waste and if you can take 3 penalty shots off your score, theres 3 shots saved without really doing anything.

2) Really work on your putting so you keep 3 putts to an absolute minimum. Of course again, sometimes youll be faced with a 50ft putt with several slopes along the way, this will be tough for anyone. But if you can really eliminate three putts on the flatter greens and from inside say, 20ft, youll save a lot of shots

3) Try not to compound one error with another. How often does someone play a shot that lands them in trouble, then tries to recover by hitting a banana around a tree, or a shot that would require a very high level of skill to pull off. Sometimes, the best thing to do is chip it out sideways and play for a bogey, which can actually be a good score on some holes

4) When you go to the range, practice the things you aren't good at. Its easy to stand at the range on a flat mat with a bucket of balls and hit some nice 7 or 8 irons. But this doesn't really do much for your game except massage your ego. Practice hitting those 80 yard pitch shots that are so important to your score. Ideally, chuck some balls down around your practice green and chip away. Also, practice punch shots too, deliberately hitting the ball lower than normal. On a day where things are going wrong, punch shots usually keep you straighter and under control, and of course, are useful for when you are in trouble.

5) Try and work out how far each of your clubs goes on a nice hit. Not your absolute sunday best hit, but your average distances. Use these to plot your way around the course but don't fall into the amateur trap of over-estimating how far you hit the ball. what can be absolutely invaluable if you know someone who has one, or maybe your pro can let you borrow one for an afternoon, is a GPS device like skycaddie which can measure how far your shots are going, and then you can work out what distances you are comfortable with, and how this can help your course management.

Good tips - I'm going out again later and hoping the rain stays off as want to have a fair crack at improving last weeks score. 

My aim for today is to take it all steady - making sure my shots are straight rather than trying to power them round and looking to accept Bogeys rather than trying to force Pars and ending up 2 over! 

1 hour ago, syston_fox said:

Good tips - I'm going out again later and hoping the rain stays off as want to have a fair crack at improving last weeks score. 

My aim for today is to take it all steady - making sure my shots are straight rather than trying to power them round and looking to accept Bogeys rather than trying to force Pars and ending up 2 over! 

Good plan, I hope it goes well for you. Is that at Humberstone GC? been a long time since I played on that course. Has a very nice finishing hole though, that par 5 that sweeps around the corner and a little down hill.

One other tip I didn't think to write, but its useful when you mention straight shots:

The aim is certainly to hit the ball straight-ish. Straight enough to not carve the ball consistently into the woods. But using a natural shape on your shots is a good thing, and something that almost all the top players will do.

The benefit of using some curvature on your shots is, it actually widens your target. Imagine standing on the tee of a hole, but you know that usually, your shots travel with a little bit of fade spin. Or draw. The key to the way this works is, eliminating what is known as a "two way" miss, missing left and right.

This then allows you plan your misses, but also gives you the full width of the fairway to hit into. If you usually hit a fade for example, and can trust the flight, Then you eliminate the left miss. So hit the shot you want, the ball drifts into the middle of the fairway no problem. Over cut the ball slightly, yes, the result will be a slightly weaker flight but you'll be in the right side of the fairway or just the light rough. no problem.

If you draw shots, then just reverse everything. so you might draw it back to the middle of the fairway. Overcook it a bit then you'll be down the left slightly.

Problem is if you try to hit the ball laserbeam straight, then anything other than a perfectly square path, a perfectly square face, and a perfectly centred strike on the ball will always see the ball curving away from its intended target.

Colin Montgomerie made a multiple order of merit winning career out of playing a gentle little fade off the tee with deadly accuracy, it really does work.

Just from an improvement perspective, learning a slightly in to out swing path will most certainly improve your power and centredness of strike on the face. A side effect of this is you develop a small draw shape onto your shots, but this is also a good thing.

So using curvature can help when used as part of course management.

Let us know how you get on.

Had a nice little 37 pointer (gross 73) in the stableford this morning at my club, first competitive round this year as im just coming back from yips.

Other than a couple of dodgy layups where i didnt fully commit, and missing a few short putts on 4, 7 and 16 i was happy. 16 was a three putt, that pissed me off a bit, but all encouraging signs so far. 7 was a snaky birdie putt downhill and left to right, not the nicest combination and it just lipped out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

That’s some going by Koepka. 3 majors out of the last 7 in 14 months is incredible golf. Guaranteed his place in the world hall of fame.

Arguably doesn't get the credit he deserves. Lots of talk about the young guns bursting through from the US, very little talk about Koepka and he has loads of game.

I think players like him and Dustin, when on with the driver are almost unbeatable. Hitting it straight and FAR, its just a lethal combination that opens up scoring opportunities

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:21, Donut said:

Good plan, I hope it goes well for you. Is that at Humberstone GC? been a long time since I played on that course. Has a very nice finishing hole though, that par 5 that sweeps around the corner and a little down hill.

It didn't go to plan. 

On Wednesday night I hit two buckets of balls on the driving range and hurt my thumb after a bad swing caught the matt before the ball with one of my last shots. Didn't think much of it but when I hit the course, it caused no end of problems and my swing wasn't natural due to the pain. Ended up with drives all over the place and my head went. Lost all confidence of being able to reach the green on par 3s in one shot (which had been no issue the week before) and so tried to over hit them and of course, they flew off anywhere but in the direction of the flag! Ended up recovering on the back 9 a bit after a couple of decent shots boosted my confidence but no repairing the damage. Out in 59, back in 50. 

I'm starting to realise that 50% of the game is in your head. The best shot I did all day was a great drive that must have gone 280 yards or so (much better than my average) and left a straight forward chip onto the green. With where the bunkers were around the green, I couldn't have placed that drive better if I had walked it down the fairway and dropped it. My head starts thinking about how I could make a nice chip here to leave a little putt and was already thinking how great it was going to feel getting my first birdie on only my second round...... of course I then got the chip all wrong and shot it into some very thick rough, had to hack it out to the edge of the green. Long putt for par wasn't close and ended up taking the 6. Normally I'd be ok with that on a par 4 seeing as still new to the game but I was so mad at myself for getting carried away. Of course I then messed up the next tee shot and so had gone from picturing the birdie to dropping 2 shots on that hole and another 3 on the next because I was so annoyed.

I went into the round with the plan to play steady and aim for bogeys..... ended up trying to force the shots because of my injured thumb and played like a clown. Lesson learned!  

Traditionally the weakest major of the year in my opinion had some great storylines this week but unfortunately was showcased on a platform many found less accessible than a pay per view platform i.e Sky. The coverage wasn't great, nor the commentary but it served a purpose. Best described as room for improvement. 

That being said Koepka winning yet another major, as some have pointed out he doesn't get the credit he deserves. I said after his US Open win this year that who'd have thought he would have more majors than DJ at this point? Certainly not me, but he is a superb player, you don't win 3 majors by being average and having more majors than the current World Number 1 isn't bad. 

How about the return to form for Adam Scott? One of my favourite tour players coming back and finishing third in a major following a return to the long putter is brilliant, he's always been a super talent and great to see him come back into form. 

But like it or not, golf is the Tiger Woods show. The crowds flock, TV ratings go through the roof and when he contends the world watches. He is the biggest draw and every person associated with golf should be delighted he's not only actually playing but showing enough to contend in major championships. For a guy who missed so many fairways to do what he did, shows you he's still got it in there. Tiger Woods is golf and roll on the Ryder Cup and the 2019 majors with him in them. 

The Ryder Cup should be a great end to a fantastic season, bring it on. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've definitely been "re-bitten" by the golf bug if there is such a thing. I'd been playing so poorly since the start of this season around May time and it got so bad I couldn't take it any longer after my 36 hole "performance" at the Club Champs. My scores weren't an absolute horror, I'd had worse many a time but it was the way I played. I actually constructed a good 82 in round one, if there was ever such a thing! 

So I took myself back to lessons, now I have never been a huge lesson fan, I always want to play and the last thing I want to do is stand on a range and hit balls but something had to change. I went back to an old coach from my younger days and in two lessons (one a month) I'm playing better and swinging more consistently. Not only that, I'm actually enjoying lessons for probably the first time in my life. I want to go to the range and practice on what he's told me, I want to go and play and improve. I'm fed up of being off 5 and not improving, I want to get better. 

So far the pinnacle was Monday, myself and a very good mate of mine were in the semi final of the pairs matchplay and I played brilliantly. I was hitting the ball pretty well, but the hole was like a bucket, knocking them in with the putter from everywhere and we made the final. Absolutely delighted, just a shame the season is drawing to a close! 

I'm a bit more determined to keep the swing going through the winter though as I seem to take 2-3 months each Spring/Summer to get going! I'm also determined to stick to the lessons this time, its making me more optimistic about my game! 

Anyone else had some successes to tell?

• Like 1

On 07/08/2018 at 10:04, lildave3 said:

I've only ever played on pitch and putt courses, just bought myself a set of clubs though. 

Played Breedon academy course earlier, 18 holes par 63. Shot a 96. Definitely could do a lot better but fairly happy overall. 

Well well well, Mr Bjorn, quite a problem you have now and this is before the conclusion of the PGA Tour event. 

Matt Wallace, won 3 times on the tour this year, has just won a 4 man playoff with a quite ridiculous finish. Birdied 5 of the last 6 holes to make a 4 man playoff and then birdied both playoff holes to win. I've had a nibble at him at 11/4 to make the team as a pick. 

If it was me, I'd be picking Wallace, Poulter, Rafa and Casey. 

Stenson and Garcia are obviously Ryder Cup stalwarts but neither are showing enough form to warrant a pick in my opinion. The problem is both of them seem to find different gears at the Ryder Cup and the pairing of Stenson and Rose is arguably our best pair. Very difficult decision on Wednesday for Thomas. 

I feel Wallace will be very hard done to if he is ignored, he's won 3 times and I don't believe Stenson or Garcia have won this year (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Bring on the yanks! 

Played 15 of the 18 holes at Beedles Lake last week. Very different to Humberstone Heights as more hazards to consider and more opportunities to go out of bound and ruin your score. Played with my boss and was worried about embarrassing myself but generally played some of the best shots I ever have. 

Learnt a few valuable lessons though:

1 - nothing wrong with laying up rather than going for the glory shot. Better to leave yourself with a shot pitch than going for the green and ending up a shanking one into the rough. 

2 - I need to use a lower tee for irons on par 3s - keep hooking them wildly 

3 - most important one here - don't try and retrieve your ball from a brook.... it may look dry but as soon as you put any weight on the bottom, you're going to lose your foot into the mud!! Doh!!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Well well well, Mr Bjorn, quite a problem you have now and this is before the conclusion of the PGA Tour event. 

Matt Wallace, won 3 times on the tour this year, has just won a 4 man playoff with a quite ridiculous finish. Birdied 5 of the last 6 holes to make a 4 man playoff and then birdied both playoff holes to win. I've had a nibble at him at 11/4 to make the team as a pick. 

If it was me, I'd be picking Wallace, Poulter, Rafa and Casey. 

Stenson and Garcia are obviously Ryder Cup stalwarts but neither are showing enough form to warrant a pick in my opinion. The problem is both of them seem to find different gears at the Ryder Cup and the pairing of Stenson and Rose is arguably our best pair. Very difficult decision on Wednesday for Thomas. 

I feel Wallace will be very hard done to if he is ignored, he's won 3 times and I don't believe Stenson or Garcia have won this year (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Bring on the yanks! 

You make a good case for Wallace but if he gets picked then we'll have half the team as rookies and that's a big gamble. I think the last time we had six rookies we lost but I might be wrong.

I reckon Bjorn will go with experience and choose the old guard as his wildcards. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he goes with Poults, Casey, Stenson & Garcia.

Either way I fancy the yanks this time around. They just look too strong to me and even with home advantage I think we'll lose this one. Just a hunch...

14 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You make a good case for Wallace but if he gets picked then we'll have half the team as rookies and that's a big gamble. I think the last time we had six rookies we lost but I might be wrong.

I reckon Bjorn will go with experience and choose the old guard as his wildcards. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he goes with Poults, Casey, Stenson & Garcia.

Either way I fancy the yanks this time around. They just look too strong to me and even with home advantage I think we'll lose this one. Just a hunch...

I think you're right with what Bjorn WILL pick (Poulter, Casey, Garcia and Stenson), but I think what he should pick is (Poulter, Casey, Wallace and RCB). 

Half the team as rookies could be seen as an issue, but IMO Fleetwood, Rahm and Hatton I wouldn't really class as rookies given how good they all are. Fleetwood and Rahm are 11th and 5th in the world and brilliant on both sides of the pond. Arguably the same for Hatton who is starting to find his feet in the US. These are not rookies, they are world class. 

I think perhaps given the quality of some of our rookies, that it is time to gamble on someone like Wallace. Bear in mind as well that 3 out of my 4 selections have Ryder Cup experience (Casey, Poulter and RCB) so hopefully should be a decent balance. I do hear what you're saying mind!

Some interesting bets for the Ryder Cup, particularly the leading points scorers for each side. 

Rahm at 15/2 - I can quite imagine he will be fired up for the Ryder Cup, he's a streaky player and when he's on it he's sensational. 

Fleetwood - 9/1 - arguably the most consistent player of the last two years particularly in Europe. Expecting a great debut from Tommy, he will be a major winner very soon. 

Poulter - 11/1 - Mr Ryder Cup himself, he goes to a different level in matchplay and to another planet in the Ryder Cup. A true stalwart, he lives and breathes the Ryder Cup. 

Reed - 8/1 - I hate the bloke, but he knows how to win at the Ryder Cup, it brings out a different side to him. Holes putts at crucial times. 

Woods - 9/1 - the GOAT, need I say anything else? 

It's obviously difficult to pick now when we don't know pairings etc. But some good odds nonetheless. 

I think the course will be a great leveller for the European side.