Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

Just the $2.25m for Rory then - not bad for a weeks work!

Reckon he could go on a roll now and win the Masters.

He's been threatening for weeks, pleased to see him get over the line. 

It'll be interesting to see how he fares at Augusta, he will be installed as the favourite now I'd imagine and everyone will go with the expectation that the slam can complete this year. Be interesting to see if he does it. 

Strangely enough I think it might've suited him to not win beforehand (less pressure, expectations, more focus on others etc) but we will see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

He's been threatening for weeks, pleased to see him get over the line. 

It'll be interesting to see how he fares at Augusta, he will be installed as the favourite now I'd imagine and everyone will go with the expectation that the slam can complete this year. Be interesting to see if he does it. 

Strangely enough I think it might've suited him to not win beforehand (less pressure, expectations, more focus on others etc) but we will see. 

Still think DeChambeau is nailed on for the masters this year.

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk of Brexit and leaving the EU has got me thinking. Maybe the Ryder Cup should go back to GB&I (well just GB) vs USA?

Europe has won 6 out the last 8 or whatever so maybe it would be fairer on the Yanks if we just have GB v USA now :D

There’s TEN Englishmen in the WGC Matchplay this week: Poults, Casey, Rose, Westwood, Fitzy, Hatton, Wallace, Fleetwood, Pepperell and Lewis plus Rory & Russell Knox. So there’s your team!

Not to mention a reserve team to consider containing the likes of GMac, Donald, Willett, Wood, Fisher, Smith, Sullivan, Waring, Paisley, Horsfield, Wilson, Drysdale & Jamieson

I’m only half joking really. 

What say you other golf fans on here?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Izzy said:

All this talk of Brexit and leaving the EU has got me thinking. Maybe the Ryder Cup should go back to GB&I (well just GB) vs USA?

Europe has won 6 out the last 8 or whatever so maybe it would be fairer on the Yanks if we just have GB v USA now :D

There’s TEN Englishmen in the WGC Matchplay this week: Poults, Casey, Rose, Westwood, Fitzy, Hatton, Wallace, Fleetwood, Pepperell and Lewis plus Rory & Russell Knox. So there’s your team!

Not to mention a reserve team to consider containing the likes of GMac, Donald, Willett, Wood, Fisher, Smith, Sullivan, Waring, Paisley, Horsfield, Wilson, Drysdale & Jamieson

Nah, we're strong atm, but they'll be a time when we need the Europeans. Plus our best player last time was Italian.

And its always fun to see the staunch brexiters cheering on a European team so passionately with no sense of irony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

Personally I love being part of the EU just for the biennial battering of the Yanks.

There's not many finer sights in life than seeing both DeChambeau and Reed crying simultaneously. 

• Like 1

Time to fire up the Masters debate then lads, give me your favourite, your top 10 an outsider and a debutant. 

Favourite: McIlroy- he's won this year already, his form is stunning, the stars have aligned, right? 

Top 10: Kuchar - the top 10 machine, surprised to see him out at 40/1 in the betting given the fact he's having a very good season and he's got a decent ANGC record to go with it. Runner up to Kisner at the Matchplay just a week ago too. 

Outsider: Snedeker 80/1 - he's got 3 top tens at Augusta, needs to be firey on the fairways though as he's not the longest hitter, always makes up some yards with the flatstick mind. 

Debutant: Matt Wallace 90/1 - no real logic here, I've just seen his mentality when he's in contention. He's got game, he can close out victories, yes he's yet to do it in a major but you wouldn't be surprised to see him up there and maybe fade down to a T8-T10 on Sunday. 

Really looking forward to the first major as always, the course is always stunning and behind The Open (obviously) the best major of the year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Time to fire up the Masters debate then lads, give me your favourite, your top 10 an outsider and a debutant. 

Favourite: McIlroy- he's won this year already, his form is stunning, the stars have aligned, right? 

Top 10: Kuchar - the top 10 machine, surprised to see him out at 40/1 in the betting given the fact he's having a very good season and he's got a decent ANGC record to go with it. Runner up to Kisner at the Matchplay just a week ago too. 

Outsider: Snedeker 80/1 - he's got 3 top tens at Augusta, needs to be firey on the fairways though as he's not the longest hitter, always makes up some yards with the flatstick mind. 

Debutant: Matt Wallace 90/1 - no real logic here, I've just seen his mentality when he's in contention. He's got game, he can close out victories, yes he's yet to do it in a major but you wouldn't be surprised to see him up there and maybe fade down to a T8-T10 on Sunday. 

Really looking forward to the first major as always, the course is always stunning and behind The Open (obviously) the best major of the year. 

Remember, no asking @Ric Flair for tips this year :thumbup:

I genuinely can't call it mate. There's probably 20+ players with a real chance and I don't know how you separate them.

Would love to see an English winner and I wouldn't put it past Rose, Casey or Fleetwood being there or there abouts.

Just hope it's not a boring Yank tbh.

• Haha 1

On 05/04/2019 at 15:37, Izzy said:

Just hope it's not a boring Yank tbh.

Yank on this, mate :ph34r:

195329935_reedrory.JPG.af18f2466df0fce50941582dc5b6208b.JPG

But seriously, let me ask you this, because I’m bored with the whole lot of them.  Do you really get excited following any top golfer these days?

More and more of these guys come across as charmless drones, billboards for products I can’t afford.  Or -- by too many accounts to ignore -- people one would be happy not to know (Woods, Mickelson, Johnson, etc.)  I personally don’t find Jordan Spieth much more delightful than Patrick Reed.  For me, about the only top player showing charisma and likeability is your Fleetwood.  Who’s got the wrong passport for me.

I’m just a guy who stopped playing years back, and watches Sunday of the Masters, the two Opens and the Ryder Cup.  There’s some joy in watching them do the near-impossible, but zero emotional investment.  So, you connoisseurs … who should I be following on Sunday?

(p.s. if you watched this weekend, the Texas Open course is ten miles from my Mom's house.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

Yank on this, mate :ph34r:

195329935_reedrory.JPG.af18f2466df0fce50941582dc5b6208b.JPG

But seriously, let me ask you this, because I’m bored with the whole lot of them.  Do you really get excited following any top golfer these days?

More and more of these guys come across as charmless drones, billboards for products I can’t afford.  Or -- by too many accounts to ignore -- people one would be happy not to know (Woods, Mickelson, Johnson, etc.)  I personally don’t find Jordan Spieth much more delightful than Patrick Reed.  For me, about the only top player showing charisma and likeability is your Fleetwood.  Who’s got the wrong passport for me.

I’m just a guy who stopped playing years back, and watches Sunday of the Masters, the two Opens and the Ryder Cup.  There’s some joy in watching them do the near-impossible, but zero emotional investment.  So, you connoisseurs … who should I be following on Sunday?

(p.s. if you watched this weekend, the Texas Open course is ten miles from my Mom's house.)

Couldn't agree more mate.

As soon as most golfers get into the top 100, I think they lose all sense of normality and get caught up in the jet-set/celebrity lifestyle. It must be difficult to not let the fame and fortune go to your head, but there's very few I'd actually like to sit down and have a beer with - British or American for that matter.

Fleetwood as you've mentioned still like seems a decent and grounded bloke, but I'm struggling to name many others.

There certainly doesn't seem to be as many 'characters' in the game these days but I guess you could say the same about footballers.

Or maybe I'm just getting bitter in my old age :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to this and it's very liberating knowing i'll be able to watch it without any financial incentive in the outcome. I always used to get pissed off with how my viewing of such great occasions like this are spoilt by the likely event of my horrendous bets not being in the mix come Sunday.

I haven't been anywhere near as fanatical about the various golf tours since I have abstained from gambling so I really have no feel for this, i'm convinced Bryson DeChambeau is a Masters champion in waiting though, he absolutely idolises Augusta and The Masters to the point of obsession. The man is part machine part human and will win one one day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Here we go then, the start of 4 days of pure beauty. I've got my turquoise blazer on at work today. Would absolutely love Tiger to smash the field by 12 shots again, go on son!

He can do just that, as long as big Vijay Singh leads after R1. I've seen his gym routine where he throws that medicine ball, it's on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Here we go then, the start of 4 days of pure beauty. I've got my turquoise blazer on at work today. Would absolutely love Tiger to smash the field by 12 shots again, go on son!

He's one back and he's missed an absolute bucket load of putts on the front from no real distance, he could legitimately be 3/4 in front by now. 

• Sad 1

I was at Glasgow airport yesterday evening sitting down waiting for my flight. A bloke walks past me on his phone and all I hear him say to the person on the other end in this broad Irish accent is "Adam Scott at 35/1 mate, trust me"

I thought Adam Scott? He's not in form and probably won't contend. Then I wondered - is it a sign? Should I stick £50 on him for a laugh?

Decided against it, thinking I'd be wasting my money.

First round co-leader = Adam Scott. Now 20/1

FML :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

i’m on bjerregaard @ 200/1 & dechambeau @ 30/1 an i’ve gotta say even half way thru the first round it’s nice to not have to scroll all the way down the page to find how badly the ones i’ve backed have started. 

but imo tiger woods has already won it cos it’s tiger woods innit 

DeChambeau will be difficult to shrug off, but then again Koepka tends to go wire to wire when he wins so ominous. To think he's already won 3 majors and come close in a couple of others, gets nowhere near the credit he should do. He's a machine.

Pleased to see a host of big names at the top after R1, unfortunately most are yanks with Poults flying the flag for us. 

Would love to see Phil roll back the years and snatch it from the younger crowd, if he does it'd be interesting to see if he can add to his major tally this season as well, given the US Open is a Pebble. 

The course did seem to get easier there as the day went on, hopefully Tiger can get a bit closer for Sunday, it's always better with him involved. 

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

DeChambeau will be difficult to shrug off, but then again Koepka tends to go wire to wire when he wins so ominous. To think he's already won 3 majors and come close in a couple of others, gets nowhere near the credit he should do. He's a machine.

Hope you don't mind me pinching your "tip" Ric. I'm not a gambler by any means but occasionally (very very occasionally) put a bet on. I discovered I had £4 left in my William Hill account so decided to back DeChambeau at 33/1 (£2 each way)!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I was thinking this earlier, I only really follow golf when the major’s come around, and Dustin Johnson must be amazing in every other tournament because he’s always favourite yet never seems to perform and Koepka is usually a fairly big price based on his previous major record.

I am on Bryson so hopefully he carries on his first day form... 

Edited by lildave3
  • Like 1

I can see it now...

DeChambeau presented with the green jacket in the butler cabin.

Jim Nantz: “So Bryson, how does it feel to be Masters champion?”

Bryson: “Well Jim, let me start by thanking all my 73 sponsors - individually....”

:rolleyes:

• Haha 2