Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

On 03/02/2020 at 22:24, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Fade every day of the week. 

My bad shot has always been a snap hook, I always used to play with a draw and I've had lessons for the last 12-18 months to try and improve. If I could hit a 5 yard fade as opposed to a 5 yard draw I'd be a happy man. 

A lot of OB I find tends to be down the left, so being able to aim left and peel it back to the middle of the fairway would be a dream. Also with the fade its more likely to stay in the fairway as you get less run from the ground. 

Play a shape that's comfortable for you though!

On 03/02/2020 at 18:17, Izzy said:

Welcome mate :thumbup:

Personally, I'd prefer to hit a baby draw every time if i had the choice. Pretty much every scratch golfer I've ever played with has this as their natural shot shape and it just 'looks' more professional and in control to me. Also, in this country where it's always bloody windy, a fade is a pain in the arse as it doesn't penetrate the wind as well as a draw does. Ideally though, it would be nice to work it both ways.

Saying that, I like to hit a fade with my short wedges in the summer when it's not windy for a softer landing. Typical golfer, wants it all! :D

Great responses guys.

When hitting a draw shape, do you tend to hit from a square stance and have a swing path thats a little in to out or do you have all your lines aimed right?

1 hour ago, Golf_Fox said:

Great responses guys.

When hitting a draw shape, do you tend to hit from a square stance and have a swing path thats a little in to out or do you have all your lines aimed right?

I tend to put my right foot back a little at address (so it would appear I'm aiming right) but the cub head is still square to the target (the club face will 'look' slightly closed at impact). Then I'm conscious to swing inside the line (more around my body). The danger as mentioned above is that I'll become too quick through impact, the hands turn over too much and it ends up being a hook. I struggle with hitting a draw cos I'm pretty crap and find fade much easier to hit.

On 05/02/2020 at 20:54, Golf_Fox said:

Great responses guys.

Set up square and try to swing in to out for me. I find setting up anything but square (or at least what feels square to me) a little off-putting. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Came up a bit short.

2nd place for Mackenzie Hughes. Local guy to me here.

Yeah I put the mockers on him - sorry Tommy :unsure:

He'll get his first PGA win soon though I'm sure. Great player and a great bloke :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Yeah I put the mockers on him - sorry Tommy :unsure:

He'll get his first PGA win soon though I'm sure. Great player and a great bloke :thumbup:

Feel for him. Seems someone shouted "Get in the hole" as he reached the top point of his back swing and put him off. I don't like them shouting after the shot is played, but during is really not on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Feel for him. Seems someone shouted "Get in the hole" as he reached the top point of his back swing and put him off. I don't like them shouting after the shot is played, but during is really not on.

Typical pissed yanks who know fvck all about golf unfortunately. You never get that on the European Tour.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

For me these situations are only getting worse. 

The most publicised regular tour event is the WM Phoenix Open, because of its atmosphere which is just a shouting match. If you think of recent Ryder Cups also, the fan behaviour in the US has been hideous and a number of incidents have been over the line. 

The media and the tours themselves have let fans get away with moronic behaviour for too long. It won't be long before there's a major incident at a Ryder Cup in the US. Unless they start banning idiots, which they won't. 

5 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

For me these situations are only getting worse. 

The most publicised regular tour event is the WM Phoenix Open, because of its atmosphere which is just a shouting match. If you think of recent Ryder Cups also, the fan behaviour in the US has been hideous and a number of incidents have been over the line. 

The media and the tours themselves have let fans get away with moronic behaviour for too long. It won't be long before there's a major incident at a Ryder Cup in the US. Unless they start banning idiots, which they won't. 

Interesting that this year a number of the top players gave this a miss to play in Quatar (could have been for the appearance money mind you)

I had a spat last year on Twitter about the Phoenix Open with a guy called Jason Sopel who a prolific golf writer in the states. Basically saying what you've said above.

Rory nearly got into a fight at the last RC in the US so they really need to clamp down on it before someone gets a proper slap.

Absolute state of this lol

The starter fvcks up FOUR times introducing Luke Donald lol

"Welcome to the 2016 Honda Classic (it's 2020 you twat!) From Hy-Why-come? (you mean High Wycombe!) England, 2016 Honda Classic champion (it was 2006!) Luke McDonald!"

13 hours ago, Izzy said:

Interesting that this year a number of the top players gave this a miss to play in Quatar (could have been for the appearance money mind you)

I had a spat last year on Twitter about the Phoenix Open with a guy called Jason Sopel who a prolific golf writer in the states. Basically saying what you've said above.

Rory nearly got into a fight at the last RC in the US so they really need to clamp down on it before someone gets a proper slap.

I actually think the players quite like it for its uniqueness which just makes it worse. I'm all for golf being brought to the masses, but not this way, it's not football. 

Won't be long before someone misses a green there to a chorus of "w*nker, w*nker, w*anker!" 

I may be exaggerating a tad...

I do think it's good for the sport, it's a good tour event and it's something different. It just needs to be controlled and curbed because it will get out of hand. The problem is it will take a major incident to curb it, which isn't how it should be. 

47 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Going to be weird tomorrow and for the rest of this weekend, biggest tour event outside the majors and no fans. 

Bloody virus. 

No yanks screaming 'get in the hole' as someone tees off at a par 5....not a bad thing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Going to be weird tomorrow and for the rest of this weekend, biggest tour event outside the majors and no fans. 

Bloody virus. 

They’ve gone and cancelled it  now which is a bit shit. Another weekend ruined. Shame really but it would have been odd with no fans I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

After staying open for one balls only following the announcement on Monday, my golf club has now closed for the time being following complaints from some members about it staying open.

Really boils my blood. Apart from the obvious annoyance at this stopping my only remaining source of regaining sanity after a day/week of work, it's the reasons.

It'll be old members complaining. Those that can't leave the house as it's too risky. Can't allow the young'uns to have all the fun.

Next time you hear people talking about the selfishness of the young who have at times not shown enough respect to the virus, remember that selfishness isn't age-specific. 

If I replace golf with a run or something, I will undoubtedly come in to close contact with more people than on an open wide golf course. And that's the other part of it that really winds me up, the stupidity of it.

• Like 1