Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Well chuffed for Shane and for the country of Ireland as a whole.

Terrific venue, amazing crowds and everyone has loved Portrush this week.

Just a shame we've got to wait 260 odd days for the next major. Not a fan of squeezing all 4 of them into 14 weeks.

Absolutely brilliant week, rounded off in style by Shane. Shame it didn't really get a bit spicy but fair play to Lowry he was superb. 

The best tournament of the year every year by a distance, I'll be going next year, I miss it. You want to find out how to stage an event, you'd better look at The Open, class and class every year. 

JB shooting 87 makes me feel better mind!

4 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

And you'd imagine the Open will be back at Portrush within 10 years as well.

Irish golf is firmly back on the map. 

I'd put money on the Open being back at Portrush in 5 years time.

It'll be there or Lytham in 2024 and watching the Seniors Open at Lytham now, it just ain't a big enough infrastructure any longer.

The R&A could have 140,000 fans at Lytham or 240,000 at Portrush and money talks.

Would be a shame to see Lytham disappear of the rota though. I've got fond memories of watching the Open there in '88 when we drove 4 hours to get there and it was rained off lol

17 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Rory bouncing back with a 62 yesterday at the WGC in Memphis to take the overall lead.

Partnered with Koepka today, who's one back, in the final pairing.

Looking forward to this tonight. I wouldn't discount John Rahm either who's only 3 back

7 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

I didn't catch any of it, but I see Koepka won it. I guess that's never a surprise.

Koepka's world no 1 for a reason!

Rory was poor, only 1 birdie today was never going to get it done. He's just so inconsistent but on his day I still swear he's the best on the planet. It's just that his day doesn't happen often enough...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The final playoff event is upon us and with it comes a new format, thoughts? 

Not sure I'm a fan, but intrigued to see how it will play out. For your guys at 20-30 I can't see how this gives you any more of a chance than it did previously, places 2-5 also lose out. Think its a strange revamp, they had it pretty good. 

They will start as follows:

Thomas will start at 10 under at the TOUR Championship as the FedEx Cup leader, while Cantlay (eight under), Brooks Koepka (seven under), Patrick Reed (six under) and Rory McIlroy (five under) will be playing catch-up from second through fifth place, respectively.

Elsewhere, those in positions six through 10 start at four under, those from 11 through 15 start at three under, those from 16 through 20 start at two under, those from 21 through 25 start at one under and those from 26 through 30 start at even par.

4 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

The final playoff event is upon us and with it comes a new format, thoughts? 

Not sure I'm a fan, but intrigued to see how it will play out. For your guys at 20-30 I can't see how this gives you any more of a chance than it did previously, places 2-5 also lose out. Think its a strange revamp, they had it pretty good. 

They will start as follows:

Thomas will start at 10 under at the TOUR Championship as the FedEx Cup leader, while Cantlay (eight under), Brooks Koepka (seven under), Patrick Reed (six under) and Rory McIlroy (five under) will be playing catch-up from second through fifth place, respectively.

Elsewhere, those in positions six through 10 start at four under, those from 11 through 15 start at three under, those from 16 through 20 start at two under, those from 21 through 25 start at one under and those from 26 through 30 start at even par.

I don't get why they haven't put the four major winners in at -5 or something? These are the biggest events of the golfing calendar but are ridiculously out-weighted by the Northern Trust & BMW. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't get why they haven't put the four major winners in at -5 or something? These are the biggest events of the golfing calendar but are ridiculously out-weighted by the Northern Trust & BMW. :dunno:

I don't think Lowry has even qualified for this. Might be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They are weighted a lot higher in terms of points on the regular season standings than a regular tour event would be. 

It is this American style playoff thing to provide excitement though, they don't want it all tied up after week 1 of the playoffs which I can understand. If the majors were higher rated than they are now, Brooks would be walking away with 2 majors, POTY honours, FedEx Cup and $10m before we'd even made it to East Lake. 

I agree it needs a bit of fine tuning but it still does need that element of someone being able to make a playoff run and win the whole thing. The final competition for the top 30 can't be a done deal before it starts. 

I understand your Lowry point, but other than Portrush he's actually been fairly quiet. Only 4 top 10s isn't that great for the top players these days. 

16 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Hardly seen any of the Fed Ex due to the Cricket and only just seen Rory has won it!!

For those that watched, Did the new format work well?

I can't really say I noticed the new format that much, after day 1 had been and gone it just felt like a regular tour event where the opening rounds had been really low. I think what helped was that JT didn't do anything day 1, which brought the other big guns (Rory, Brooks, Xander, Hideki, Rahm, Casey etc.) All into contention after 1 day. 

If JT goes out and shoots -4, then you've got a different picture entirely. 

I suppose the fact that the number 1 didn't win, means it does still have the unpredictability element they were after. I suppose for the guys lower down, starting 10 behind with 4 rounds to go might be viewed as slightly easier to overturn than the previous format. That relied on a whole concoction of events materialising that just made it practically impossible. 

The honest answer being, "I don't know" to whether the new format is better. Perhaps, it'll take a few more editions to see it if works.