Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

On 28/08/2019 at 09:52, Ric Flair said:

Playing Sunningdale Old tomorrow, to say i'm absolutely buzzing would be an understatement

How did you get on mate? 42 points? :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Izzy said:

How did you get on mate? 42 points? :D

Wow, without doubt the most stunning golf course I've ever played and I've done a fair few of the top courses in the UK. Sunningdale Old is just faultless, every hole is visually like something you'd picture heaven to be just without quite as many naked women.

The sheer amount of heather just off the tight fairways means that it is almost impossible to plot your way around the course or blast your way around the course without getting in to trouble at some point. I'm astonished if any every day golfer could shoot an error free medal round around here. I actually played well for 14 of the 18 holes but I bet on those other 4 i'd have been looking at triple bogeys or worse hahahaa.

The 10th hole is jaw dropping, on the back of the driveable par 4 9th hole that is a party on the eyes, I stuck my driver out the back and then nearly chipped in for eagle. That was my highlight of the round, but every minute of it was special. The 5th hole is another absolute beauty.

We got in the bar afterwards and went and sat out on the veranda and none other than Ricky Ponting, Andrew Strauss and Shane Warne were sat on the table next to us. Warney loves Sunningdale, think he might be a member there.

I will be going back again as soon as possible, the green fees are obscene but worth EVERY penny.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wow, without doubt the most stunning golf course I've ever played and I've done a fair few of the top courses in the UK. Sunningdale Old is just faultless, every hole is visually like something you'd picture heaven to be just without quite as many naked women.

The sheer amount of heather just off the tight fairways means that it is almost impossible to plot your way around the course or blast your way around the course without getting in to trouble at some point. I'm astonished if any every day golfer could shoot an error free medal round around here. I actually played well for 14 of the 18 holes but I bet on those other 4 i'd have been looking at triple bogeys or worse hahahaa.

The 10th hole is jaw dropping, on the back of the driveable par 4 9th hole that is a party on the eyes, I stuck my driver out the back and then nearly chipped in for eagle. That was my highlight of the round, but every minute of it was special. The 5th hole is another absolute beauty.

We got in the bar afterwards and went and sat out on the veranda and none other than Ricky Ponting, Andrew Strauss and Shane Warne were sat on the table next to us. Warney loves Sunningdale, think he might be a member there.

I will be going back again as soon as possible, the green fees are obscene but worth EVERY penny.

That’s awesome mate, sounds like one of the all time great golfing days! Really pleased Sunningdale lived up to expectations. Everyone I know who’s played it absolutely raves about it. Definitely one on my bucket list. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a feeling this Solheim Cup will be very, very close. The US are probably better on paper but they've got loads of rookies and Europe obvs have home advantage.

Reckon Europe need a few points lead going into the singes though. There's been some good golf on display from both teams today.

P.S. If I hear another US couple say they 'ham and egged' it again, I'll fvckin scream.

• Haha 1

Europe really need to win the afternoon fourballs 3-1 I reckon, to take a 3 point lead into tomorrow's singles. Any lead less than that and I reckon the US win it again.

Evenly matched so far but the US are so much stronger in the singles. A decent Solheim Cup so far and good crowds/atmosphere at Gleneagles.

Need to sort out the pace of play though, that fat US player who was put on the clock twice yesterday was taking the piss - 3 hours for the first 9 holes is a joke. 

36 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Unreal...tuned in at the right time to see the last few holes...might watch more of this in the future 😂

2021 will be played two hours from us.  Never been tempted to attend a live tournament, but the final day singles might be exciting.

Or maybe better just to watch on TV to see all the swings and changes as they happen?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KingsX said:

2021 will be played two hours from us.  Never been tempted to attend a live tournament, but the final day singles might be exciting.

Or maybe better just to watch on TV to see all the swings and changes as they happen?

If you get the chance to go, I'd highly recommend it (providing you can get a ticket that is)

I've seen the singles of the Ryder Cup live in '89 and '02 and it's probably the best atmosphere of any sporting occasion I've ever been to. Not sure the Solheim Cup atmosphere is quite as electric but it would still be special.

22 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If you get the chance to go, I'd highly recommend it (providing you can get a ticket that is)

I've seen the singles of the Ryder Cup live in '89 and '02 and it's probably the best atmosphere of any sporting occasion I've ever been to. Not sure the Solheim Cup atmosphere is quite as electric but it would still be special.

Your gentle way of saying estrogen dilutes the war-by-other-means atmosphere of a Ryder Cup?  :D

OTOH, tickets available, affordable ($75), and more room to roam the course.  At a location we can drive to for the day.

If one goes, is it better to park one’s butt on 18 all day, or try to follow the most crucial match(es)?

12 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Your gentle way of saying estrogen dilutes the war-by-other-means atmosphere of a Ryder Cup?  :D

OTOH, tickets available, affordable ($75), and more room to roam the course.  At a location we can drive to for the day.

If one goes, is it better to park one’s butt on 18 all day, or try to follow the most crucial match(es)?

I think even the most hardened women's golf fan would admit the Solheim Cup hasn't quite got the history and needle that the Ryder Cup has :)

$75 for the day seems quite reasonable and if it were me, I'd want to see as many of the matches as possible. At the Belfry in '02 we made sure we walked every hole and saw every player and then when it came to the 'crunch' time, we stood on a mound between the 17th & 18th fairway where we could see the action on both holes (binoculars helped and so did the on-course pocket radio we had). We got a decent view of Paul McGinley holing the winning putt and then diving into the lake :D

There's also plenty of big screens and a fans village where you can see all the action. Definitely a 'bucket list' sporting event I'd say and if it's only a 2 hour drive I'd absolutely go for it :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

I'm having a mare with bunkers at the moment. 14 shots to get out of 4 bunkers this week.

That and leaving all my putts short is really costing me, the rest of my game is the best it's

been, but as soon as I hit a bunker it ruins my round.

It took me years to master bunker play. Like you, I used to hate going in them as they cost me dear.

Then I had a series of 4 bunker lessons and by the end I COULDN’T WAIT! to go in a bunker during a round so I could show off my new skills lol

I don’t mind bunkers one bit now and see them as a challenge to get up and down. Took me a while to learn to really open the club face, trust the bounce, take plenty of sand and commit to a full swing mind. There’s also loads of YouTube clips on bunker play that might help.

As for leaving your putts short - just hit em a bit harder mate :thumbup: