Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

P.S. you can be the best bunker player in the world but if your local muni course has too little  sand in em then your screwed anyway.

Nothing worse than playing a great bunker shot and feeling your club bounce straight off the lining underneath :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

P.S. you can be the best bunker player in the world but if your local muni course has too little  sand in em then your screwed anyway.

Nothing worse than playing a great bunker shot and feeling your club bounce straight off the lining underneath :rolleyes:

100% this. 

This is perhaps more frustrating than actually being a bad bunker player and as such breeds a lack of confidence when you're in one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

100% this. 

This is perhaps more frustrating than actually being a bad bunker player and as such breeds a lack of confidence when you're in one. 

Agree. And it never ceases to amaze me how many so called 'decent' private clubs still neglect their bunkers.

The Greenkeepers just decides to chuck a few tonnes of Wickes builders stand in em and hope for the best.

And don't get me started on all the stones and weeds in there and cvnts not raking them properly or leaving the rakes in the wrong place :mad:

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

Agree. And it never ceases to amaze me how many so called 'decent' private clubs still neglect their bunkers.

The Greenkeepers just decides to chuck a few tonnes of Wickes builders stand in em and hope for the best.

And don't get me started on all the stones and weeds in there and cvnts not raking them properly or leaving the rakes in the wrong place :mad:

but. but, but bunkers are supposed to be a hazard.

5 hours ago, SO1 said:

but. but, but bunkers are supposed to be a hazard.

True, but they should at least give you a fair opportunity to get out by testing your skills without penalizing you further by not having any fvckin sand in them!

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

True, but they should at least give you a fair opportunity to get out by testing your skills without penalizing you further by not having any fvckin sand in them!

Couldn't help myself. My friends and their lift clean and place on every shot and condition:mad:. You just need some hard pan lessons from Lee Trevino :D

17 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

I'm having a mare with bunkers at the moment. 14 shots to get out of 4 bunkers this week.

That and leaving all my putts short is really costing me, the rest of my game is the best it's

been, but as soon as I hit a bunker it ruins my round.

What is your issue, are you catching it too heavy or not staying down on it and catching it too clean?

21 hours ago, Izzy said:

It took me years to master bunker play. Like you, I used to hate going in them as they cost me dear.

Then I had a series of 4 bunker lessons and by the end I COULDN’T WAIT! to go in a bunker during a round so I could show off my new skills lol

I don’t mind bunkers one bit now and see them as a challenge to get up and down. Took me a while to learn to really open the club face, trust the bounce, take plenty of sand and commit to a full swing mind. There’s also loads of YouTube clips on bunker play that might help.

As for leaving your putts short - just hit em a bit harder mate :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice, I've not had a lesson for a couple of years so I might book a couple for bunkers 

and a couple for putting.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 17:27, Spiritwalker said:

I don't think I'm following through properly. My local course has very little sand in the bunkers and what

sand there is is building sand.

First, the lack of sand in any bunker is a big issue and makes it so much harder to a) get out of the bunker, b) maintain any control over the golf ball and c) actually get the bloody thing anywhere near the hole! 

That being said, I try to stick to the same fundamentals, stand square, perhaps ever so slightly open to the target and open the face. If anything in a bunker with no sand, my thought is to try and 'nip' it and have a slightly shallower angle of attack. I'm a "handsy" bunker player and will throw my hands quickly through the shot to try and pick it off the surface with every bunker shot I play. 

But in all honesty, if your course has bunkers with no sand, your best play is trying to avoid them like the plague. Take your chances from the rough around the greens. Easier said than done I know. 

• Like 1

Tbh if you’re playing a course just for fun and there’s fvck all sand in the bunkers, you and your playing partners might be better off just agreeing they’re all GUR and taking a free drop behind them instead.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/09/2019 at 17:27, Spiritwalker said:

I don't think I'm following through properly. My local course has very little sand in the bunkers and what

sand there is is building sand.

Dont fear the sand. Its far better than a bad grassy lie.

Basically visualise a spot perhaps an inch to the back of the ball at first, and practice "skipping" the wedge through the sand.

The objective is to skip the ball forwards on the cushion of sand.

People struggle because they either bang down too steeply on the ball and flub it nowhere, or they dont trust their ability and try and "help" the ball and thin it straight into the lip of the bunker.

Just focus on using the sole of the wedge and getting that shallow strike, just lifting the sand forwards.

Then when your contact is consistent you can add a bit more speed if you need more stopping power, or you can hit further behind the ball and produce a shot that releases out more when it hits the green.

Its actually a nice place to play from in summer

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger wins again and ties Sam Snead with 82 PGA wins. 
His Masters comeback win was extraordinarily but I really thought that was a one off and didn’t see him winning another tour event aged 43.

He’ll have to pick himself now as a wildcard for the Presidents Cup surely.

What a phenomenon he is.

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:18, Izzy said:

Tiger wins again and ties Sam Snead with 82 PGA wins. 
His Masters comeback win was extraordinarily but I really thought that was a one off and didn’t see him winning another tour event aged 43.

He’ll have to pick himself now as a wildcard for the Presidents Cup surely.

What a phenomenon he is.

First tournament back as well after another operation, the man is a phenomenon. He says he's had to change his game as he can no longer compete with the power of other players but when you're one of the best iron players the game has ever seen, as well as for the most part an almost faultless short game and scrambling ability, keeping your tee shots in play around the 300 yards mark is all he needs to do and he'll obliterate the majority of players still.

• Like 1

In other golf news, Phil Mickleson’s marathon reign in the world top 50 could be coming to an end this week.

Its almost unbelievable that he’s been in the world top 50 for the last TWENTY SIX YEARS uninterrupted. Can’t get my head around that for consistency.

He’s still a total nob end though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Delighted for GMac winning his first European tour title since 2014 against a Stella field in Saudi. 
I love the fact he’s accepted that he’s not a big hitter and relies on his short game. His recent quote made me smile - “I tell my kids that the only reason we live in such a big house is because Daddy can putt”

:D

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:17, Izzy said:

Delighted for GMac winning his first European tour title since 2014 against a Stella field in Saudi. 
I love the fact he’s accepted that he’s not a big hitter and relies on his short game. His recent quote made me smile - “I tell my kids that the only reason we live in such a big house is because Daddy can putt”

:D

Pleased he's returned to the winners enclosure, but i'm not so pleased to see the European Tour going down the route of taking the blood money from countries like Saudi Arabia. Soulless tournaments with very few fans, but then again golf as a spectator sport has always been way down the pecking order of importance.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Pleased he's returned to the winners enclosure, but i'm not so pleased to see the European Tour going down the route of taking the blood money from countries like Saudi Arabia. Soulless tournaments with very few fans, but then again golf as a spectator sport has always been way down the pecking order of importance.

Agree mate. Interesting to see the likes of Mickelson, DJ, Koepka etc. playing in Saudi rather than the PGA Phoenix Open in Arizona. Fvck knows how much appearance money they were offered by the Saudi's to play but I bet it was more than $1m each. Money grabbing bastards!!

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

Long time lurker here but first time poster. I saw a golf thread and this is great because im really getting into the game. Always played a fair amount but now aiming to play regularly and really get a decent handicap and improve.

Would like to ask a question but to start it wanted to ask this:

If you could only either FADE or DRAW every shot forever, which is the better flight for YOU and why would you want one over the other?

57 minutes ago, Golf_Fox said:

Hello everyone.

Long time lurker here but first time poster. I saw a golf thread and this is great because im really getting into the game. Always played a fair amount but now aiming to play regularly and really get a decent handicap and improve.

If you could only either FADE or DRAW every shot forever, which is the better flight for YOU and why would you want one over the other?

Welcome mate :thumbup:

Personally, I'd prefer to hit a baby draw every time if i had the choice. Pretty much every scratch golfer I've ever played with has this as their natural shot shape and it just 'looks' more professional and in control to me. Also, in this country where it's always bloody windy, a fade is a pain in the arse as it doesn't penetrate the wind as well as a draw does. Ideally though, it would be nice to work it both ways.

Saying that, I like to hit a fade with my short wedges in the summer when it's not windy for a softer landing. Typical golfer, wants it all! :D

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Welcome mate :thumbup:

Personally, I'd prefer to hit a baby draw every time if i had the choice. Pretty much every scratch golfer I've ever played with has this as their natural shot shape and it just 'looks' more professional and in control to me. Also, in this country where it's always bloody windy, a fade is a pain in the arse as it doesn't penetrate the wind as well as a draw does. Ideally though, it would be nice to work it both ways.

Saying that, I like to hit a fade with my short wedges in the summer when it's not windy for a softer landing. Typical golfer, wants it all! :D

Hi mate great response.

The thing with drawing is....it feels more like i could miss left OR right. The draw seems to overcook very easily.

On the flip side, draw feels much more solid off the face and flies with a much better flight.

The fades kind of float and never get away from you. But a mis hit fade is awful and basically goes nowhere.

I feel like naturally i fade the ball.... but drawing encourages better swing mechanics so im going to work on the draw all winter ready for summer.

But its just drawing doesnt ever feel under as much control. Feels very easy to hit a nasty hook especially if you get a little quick on it.

5 hours ago, Golf_Fox said:

Hello everyone.

Fade every day of the week. 

My bad shot has always been a snap hook, I always used to play with a draw and I've had lessons for the last 12-18 months to try and improve. If I could hit a 5 yard fade as opposed to a 5 yard draw I'd be a happy man. 

A lot of OB I find tends to be down the left, so being able to aim left and peel it back to the middle of the fairway would be a dream. Also with the fade its more likely to stay in the fairway as you get less run from the ground. 

Play a shape that's comfortable for you though!