Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan the fox

Keane def-midfielder ?

Just wondering what people thought about Keane sitting in midfield and giving us a bit more steel , he's got great feet and composure on the ball and would add height and strength in the air ! Then maybe we could give knocky s A free role ?

I know why these threads exist, and it seems a fairly good idea to move a defensive minded player into a more advanced role to stop the threat before it becomes a goal. However, I don't feel that defensively we have anything to worry about. We haven't conceded more than 2/3 this season in any one game have we?

Our problem lies more going the other way. When teams park the bus, and get physical, we need someone to grab the game by the proverbial bollocks. Alternatively, we need a little wizard to unlock defences. I don't think altering one of the best defences in the league would do anything for us at all.

I know why these threads exist, and it seems a fairly good idea to move a defensive minded player into a more advanced role to stop the threat before it becomes a goal. However, I don't feel that defensively we have anything to worry about. We haven't conceded more than 2/3 this season in any one game have we?

Our problem lies more going the other way. When teams park the bus, and get physical, we need someone to grab the game by the proverbial bollocks. Alternatively, we need a little wizard to unlock defences. I don't think altering one of the best defences in the league would do anything for us at all.

The reason we have such a strong defensive record is only partly down to the back 4.

For example, marshall has been given a huge defensive task this season by NP, and it causes him to lack creativity.

Inserting a defensive midfielder/ third center back playing just in front of the defence, will give the defence more cover allowing marshall and knocky less defensive responsibilities, and ensuring they do what they are best at....attack.

If we could make a signing or two over the summer, we could play similar to this away from home...

......................kasper

de laet...morgan.........st.ledger...creswell

......................Trotter

Marshall...........Drinky..............Knockaert

.............Wood............Nuge

Wtf is "steel"? A lad who looks about 14?

We don't need this "tough tackling" defensive midfielder people keep going on about. We need an atta king centre mid who is actually good at football. Someone like King only much better.

Pretty much spot on, but king has been our best player for three games.

To play someone in that role (not James) would mean giving up our swift passing play that helps us outplay most teams in this league. It's the same reason Sir Alex doesn't use an anchorman at United despite the world and his dog telling him that's exactly what he needs.

Just wondering what people thought about Keane sitting in midfield and giving us a bit more steel , he's got great feet and composure on the ball and would add height and strength in the air ! Then maybe we could give knocky s A free role ?

Nop, what we need is all out attacking performances in every game from now till the end of the season. We need a lot more GOALS AWAY FROM HOME !

Lets play you score 2 and we'll score 3 football,

Our current away form and points tally is not going to get us anywhere near the top 2 places, regardless of home form.

We need to show some bottle and bloody attack teams home and (AWAY)!!

Nop, what we need is all out attacking performances in every game from now till the end of the season. We need a lot more GOALS AWAY FROM HOME !

Our current away form and points tally is not going to get us anywhere near the top 2 places, regardless of home form.

I'd agree with that. I'd love to see us go for it, home and away. One suspects if we continue with our slightly timorous away performances we'll fail anyway, so let's go out with all guns blazing. For me our best peformances earlier in the season where when Knocky was allowed to run at defences. Give le petit general license to run. No one likes fast, tricky attackers taking them on

Remarkably concise and perceptive there ibbo......... :thumbup:

Are you off the grog...... :dunno:

I'd love it if we did, we're a lot better when we impose ourselves on the opposition

Earlier in the season Marshall or Knockeart were used in a free role behind the front two and just in front of opposition defensive midfielder and very profitably too.

Keeping them occupied and running at them and resultant chances created would surely be better than being negative.

The reason we have such a strong defensive record is only partly down to the back 4.

For example, marshall has been given a huge defensive task this season by NP, and it causes him to lack creativity.

Inserting a defensive midfielder/ third center back playing just in front of the defence, will give the defence more cover allowing marshall and knocky less defensive responsibilities, and ensuring they do what they are best at....attack.

If we could make a signing or two over the summer, we could play similar to this away from home...

With what we have now I would like to see this formation, but I know it won't happen I just love an attacking 532:

Kasper

Morgan Whitbread

De Laet Keane Konchesky

James Drinkwater

Knocky

Nugent Wood

Great idea - I think he could do really well in that role (he was our best 'midfielder' in a few games recently - ie coming forward to fill-in for 'proper' midfielders who were under-performing). Trouble is, who would come in at centre-back - clearly St Ledger & Whitbread are not fully fit yet (they haven't even been on the bench recently) - and there's no one else, now Moore is at Brentford (he had a full 90 mins on Saturday at centre-back - and did really well according to reports) ?

No!

We need a proper midfielder, like someone said we tried it with Bamba didn't really work, Bruma had played there before but he wasn't that great either.

We need to get one in, in the summer someone like Trotter or Bridcutt.

Along with a better left-back, better winger, and two decent strikers replacing Vardy and Futacs.

By Jove he's got it!!

:thumbup:

I'd keep him where he is, yes he's composed but he's at the back, he has more time and he doesn't have to worry about someone closing him down from behind, etc - if he does get pressured he can pass it back to the keeper who can boot it.

Moving positions might not look like much but it's all the little things that are second nature to someone playing in thier natural position that become exposed which can lead to big mistakes.

Like others have said our defence isn't really the problem so if it ain't broke doen't fix it I guess.

Most of this thread is just plain nonsense.

We have a dozen games to go, now is not the time to be changing personel or systems....... :nono:

We simply need to play every game like we played earlier in the season, just fooking go for it and play our normal attacking game and let the opposition worry about us and yes that means away from home as well...... :thumbup:

Most of this thread is just plain nonsense.

We have a dozen games to go, now is not the time to be changing personel or systems....... :nono:

We simply need to play every game like we played earlier in the season, just fooking go for it and play our normal attacking game and let the opposition worry about us and yes that means away from home as well...... :thumbup:

You're back to your gung-ho stuff again Dave..

When we've tried this its not worked enough away from home.

As you well know..

True. My point was however, that moving a integral part to our impressive defensive record of late, into a more advanced role would be naive. However if we did get a tough tackling midfield general then this would work. Remember when we tried to play Bamba as DM? Dear lord...

You're back to your gung-ho stuff again Dave..

When we've tried this its not worked enough away from home.

As you well know..

Sorry Col but where on earth do you get this from? It is just so hopelessly wrong headed that I wonder what you are watching..... :dunno:

Our normal attacking game (not gung ho, I have never said that) got us top of the table in October and that was with a strike force of Nugent plus Vardy or Waghorn...... ;)

That was the worst thing that could have happened to us, promotion was suddenly looking like a real possibility and we had something to protect, so we reverted to (NFP's) type and went all conservative, setting up defensively away from home (Birmingham, Watford, Leeds etc, etc) and even doing so at home (Palace).

That is when and why our form and confidence began to slide, instead of looking up we were looking down, desperately trying to defend what we had rather than go out and build on our success.

That negative attitude is still in place, look at saturday for heavens sake, we bare attempted to take it to Ipswich until we were behind, how an earth can you justify going to a team flirting with relegation and set up for a draw........ :frusty:

Our run in January was over hyped, we had a new striker, played some awful sides and got really lucky against 'Boro and Wolves our form and our attitude is on the slide and has been since november, it is too late to rebuild the side so our only real option is to try and get back to the style that put us top of the league.

And all this wishing for players we don't have, what sort of nonsense is that...... :@

Sorry Col but where on earth do you get this from? It is just so hopelessly wrong headed that I wonder what you are watching..... :dunno:

Our normal attacking game (not gung ho, I have never said that) got us top of the table in October and that was with a strike force of Nugent plus Vardy or Waghorn...... ;)

That was the worst thing that could have happened to us, promotion was suddenly looking like a real possibility and we had something to protect, so we reverted to (NFP's) type and went all conservative, setting up defensively away from home (Birmingham, Watford, Leeds etc, etc) and even doing so at home (Palace).

That is when and why our form and confidence began to slide, instead of looking up we were looking down, desperately trying to defend what we had rather than go out and build on our success.

That negative attitude is still in place, look at saturday for heavens sake, we bare attempted to take it to Ipswich until we were behind, how an earth can you justify going to a team flirting with relegation and set up for a draw........ :frusty:

Our run in January was over hyped, we had a new striker, played some awful sides and got really lucky against 'Boro and Wolves our form and our attitude is on the slide and has been since november, it is too late to rebuild the side so our only real option is to try and get back to the style that put us top of the league.

And all this wishing for players we don't have, what sort of nonsense is that...... :@

Wasn't it 'our normal attacking game' when we went away to Charlton and Blackburn near the start of the season and lost?

Yes, we had plenty of possession but were hit with sucker punches on both occasions.

This has been a feature of this season Dave.. Being hit with 'sucker punches', 'wonder goals' 'sneaky late ones' etc etc.

I put to you that we have only conceded relatively few goals because, pure and simple, Wes Morgan has turned out to be such a good player. Without him in the side, I suggest we'd have conceded considerably more goals.

We won't agree on this. My philosophy would be to tighten up away from home. To control the midfield better and to give those with flair the ability to get forward by utilising a player to anchor the midfield. To play simply a defensive role in the side and allow the attackers to actually attack.

As I've thought all season, this would help to achieve two things... It would stop us conceding the goals from the edge of the area that we have done and may actually encourage more quicker forward momentum on the counter attack, because the midfielders know that someone is holding.

Archived