Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shearfox

This is the problem...

Nonsense, look at our overall defensive record this season, still pretty much the best in the league. What part of that do you not get?

What we need, if you want to make us even harder to beat is a a back three (keeper and center backs) who can defend corners and other set pieces.

What we really need are attacking options and the will to use those that we already have.

A defensive midfielder wouldn't all be about not conceding though? It would allow the other CM(s) to go forward more freely, along with the wingers, and there'd be more of a goal threat.

A defensive midfielder wouldn't all be about not conceding though? It would allow the other CM(s) to go forward more freely, along with the wingers, and there'd be more of a goal threat.

Nice try, but not really the answer. Early season our midfield was fine both defensively and going forward because, as a team, we played smart quick passing football. With our wingers roaming and the fullbacks using the space on the flanks our midfield had loads of options and getting forward presented no problems.

Once our fullbacks were held back and our wingers 'tucked in' to provide cover and maintain our shape, all our options disappeared and our confidence simply drained away. Sure we were still able to bully a few of the weaker sides but we were slowly and inexorably falling apart, Wood provided something of a lift in January but we still were not playing particularly well and we were very lucky to get the points from both Wolves and 'Boro.

Nice try, but not really the answer. Early season our midfield was fine both defensively and going forward because, as a team, we played smart quick passing football. With our wingers roaming and the fullbacks using the space on the flanks our midfield had loads of options and getting forward presenting no problems.

Once our fullbacks were held back and our wingers 'tucked in' to provide cover and maintain our shape, all our options disappeared and our confidence simply drained away. Sure we were still able to bully a few of the weaker sides but we were slowly and inexorably falling apart, Wood provided something of a lift in January but we still were not playing particularly well nd we were very lucky to get the points from both Wolves and 'Boro.

I agree when we're in full flow, like early on in the season, there is no need for one. However, I'd get one for times like these, to free up the fullbacks and wingers.

I agree when we're in full flow, like early on in the season, there is no need for one. However, I'd get one for times like these, to free up the fullbacks and wingers.

No, going even more defensive is simply compounding the problem. We do not need to reinforce failure, simply go back on to the attack.

No chance of that happening in the current situation, so no chance of getting back in the playoffs...... :(

No, going even more defensive is simply compounding the problem. We do not need to reinforce failure, simply go back on to the attack.

No chance of that happening in the current situation, so no chance of getting back in the playoffs...... :(

How do you not understand that the utilisation of a defensive midfielder gives our creative players more freedom, and thus not going more defensive?

The central midfield options are poor i agree, danns for me is better than anyone at the club in that position. So i would say there must be a non footballing reason he has been shipped out, im not sure what exactly. Pearsons never really gone for holding midfielders, i would love to see someone who can take the game by scruff of the neck and dominate in the middle at city but good ones arent cheap or easy to find.

How do you not understand that the utilisation of a defensive midfielder gives our creative players more freedom, and thus not going more defensive?

It is all about setup, we could try using a proper holding midfielder (that we don't have), that would allow us to deploy creative midfield players (that we also don't have).

Pointless exercise.

Watching Danns and Beckford on telly against Hull. Both have been playing crap. Beckford has done well to keep away from the ball when he has got it his touch was poor except his kick at Bruce. Danns hasn't been much better and wont be long before he's booked as he's having ago at the linesman all the time. He doesn't look like the midfield boss we need. After watching the first half can understand why Pearson wanted rid.

It is all about setup, we could try using a proper holding midfielder (that we don't have), that would allow us to deploy creative midfield players (that we also don't have).

Pointless exercise.

That's why we need to sign one of each perhaps, though Knockaert, Marshall and Schlupp fall into the second bracket for me.

Why does ANYONE think Neil Danns is the answer?

Give me strength.

Because they know best. And it's an easy thing to say as he's not with the squad at the moment and it's another thing they can blame on Pearson.

That's despite him not really making any noticeable difference at any time in the past.

Nice try, but not really the answer. Early season our midfield was fine both defensively and going forward because, as a team, we played smart quick passing football. With our wingers roaming and the fullbacks using the space on the flanks our midfield had loads of options and getting forward presented no problems.

Once our fullbacks were held back and our wingers 'tucked in' to provide cover and maintain our shape, all our options disappeared and our confidence simply drained away. Sure we were still able to bully a few of the weaker sides but we were slowly and inexorably falling apart, Wood provided something of a lift in January but we still were not playing particularly well and we were very lucky to get the points from both Wolves and 'Boro.

I agree but this only happened at home, away we've struggled all season. Now I think teams know how we can be beaten and that's why the shape has changed like you say and why we're struggling both home and away.

A defensive midfielder isn't about the defence letting in few goals it's about letting the creative midfielders get on with their jobs. and supporting the front 2, it's also about giving us more options away from home.

What I saw against Sheffield W, and some away games is that we have a creative and attacking midfield but they need the space and time to play. We are to easily out gunned in the middle of the park now at home and away. Put in a proper defensive midfielder and Drinky can become more of a play maker. James/King be more attacking and support the front two. Knocky (and/or Marshall both if you want to play a 5 across the middle can have more freedom on the wing.)

That's why we need to sign one of each perhaps, though Knockaert, Marshall and Schlupp fall into the second bracket for me.

And while we are at it lets have a winger with pace who can cross the ball, how about a couple of center backs who can defend corners, a left back who isn't bald, a keeper who doesn't kick away possession and while we're at it one of those playmaker types....... :frusty:

And while we are at it lets have a winger with pace who can cross the ball, how about a couple of center backs who can defend corners, a left back who isn't bald, a keeper who doesn't kick away possession and while we're at it one of those playmaker types....... :frusty:

Our defence and keeper are fairly solid right now, the two players I asked for aren't exactly loads... and perhaps a winger would be nice.

Our defence and keeper are fairly solid right now, the two players I asked for aren't exactly loads... and perhaps a winger would be nice.

Really?

Are you happy with Kasper giving the ball away as often as he does?

What about the awful defending from him and our center backs from crosses and set piece? The lack of a commanding figure in our box has caused us problems all season...... :/

It's the modern way, team not playing very well, go out and buy some more players.....

What is wrong with working with the players you have?

Coach them to play a different system, (we are hopeless at anything other than 4-4-2), how about coaching our three (very decent) central midfielders to pay differently, say holding roles in a 4-2-3-1 system or taking Vardy and teaching him how to play from the left (something we know he can do) as a wide striker in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1?

There are plenty of other things we can do to move this team forward, De Laet and Schlupp as wingbacks in a 3-5-2, Knockaert or Marshall given the creative role in the hole, these just off the top of my head...... :dunno:

are you serious? Neil Danns is overweight, uninterested and would rather be rocking out smoking weed and singing silly songs. He couldn't give a stuff. Plus he is awful.

Are you dizzy? Danns is ripped

Our team reflects our manager, devoid of any personality or passion. We don't even have a style of play since the new year. The team spirit is undoubtedly weak given the lack of experience/leadership or even outspoken players as anyone who shows any sign of that is shipped out, so is it any surprise those that remain have gone into their shells. The only player who shows any passion is our goalkeeper and I wouldn't be surprised if Pearson doesn't get on with him either.

We're out of the playoffs now, might as well get a caretaker manager for the last 7 games or give Walsh his dream of motiviating them. Ridiculous, but I can't see a turnaround anytime soon and certain players just look like they are not arsed, at least Walsh wouldn't accept that.

Archived