Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

Food for thought

Only us, Manchester United (top of the league by a mile) and Gillinghan (2nd in League Two) have yet to lose by more than one goal this season.

No team in the Premier and Football Leagues have lost more games by one goal than us.

What does that tell us? Anything?

Only us, Manchester United (top of the league by a mile) and Gillinghan (2nd in League Two) have yet to lose by more than one goal this season.

No team in the Premier and Football Leagues have lost more games by one goal than us.

What does that tell us? Anything?

That we lose too many games by 1 goal? It's hardly rocket science.

That we lose too many games by 1 goal? It's hardly rocket science.

Or you could engage your brain and contribute to a discussion on what it tells us about the set-up, fitness, tactics or attitude of our team.

That we don't go for it enough, we are too concerned with keeping it tight than taking it to the other sides.

If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose having given it a real good go, not just always putting defence first, but putting attack first sometimes as well.

I want to see us go back to the creative style we tried to adopt at the start of the season. If we can create bags of chances each game, I am sure that the strikers we now have would take some of them.

It's partly psychological now. The players don't believe they can win if they don't score first, or even score an early goal. You can physically see this in their body language.

Forest still managed a draw despite going behind twice today. I can't see us doing something like that because we just don't seem to have enough self belief any more. Until the players believe in themselves, we will keep on heading in the wrong direction. It's time they stand up and be counted, believe in each other, and then the majority of fans will believe in them also, and we may just still have a chance this season.

It would suggest to me that we're easy to beat. That once we go behind the opposition don't have to work too hard to keep hold of a lead. That our confidence is easily knocked. We have lost fourteen league games by a single goal. The other two sides have lost ten between them.

It would suggest to me that we're easy to beat. That once we go behind the opposition don't have to work too hard to keep hold of a lead. That our confidence is easily knocked. We have lost fourteen league games by a single goal. The other two sides have lost ten between them.

Exactly, we don't go for it enough when behind, if we did we would sometimes concede more goals by trying so hard to get back into the game.

MON always used to make us go down fighting, quite often we would lose 2-0 late on because we were always trying so hard to get back in it. The fact we don't now does suggest we are not trying hard enough to get ourselves back into games.

If we're not going to make the play offs, lets not make them by giving it a bloody good go!

Generally we look at our best if we get an early goal. All of our big wins this year have seen us score in the first 15 minutes.

We don't win enough points from losing positions. We seem to panic and not play the way we can.

I was actually thinking this earlier lol. By common denominator, we should be put in to first place to match the other teams and to equal the trend lol.

Wonder what it's like around Europe?

I think it just says that we can't grab games by the scruff of the neck and take advantage when it matters. It's all well and good winning games 6-0 but it doesn't matter if we lose another 3 games by the odd goal. Perhaps the fighting spirit isn't up to standards? However, looking at it positively, it also shows that we don't roll over when we play teams and we do actually have some character and spirit and desire in the team when we are more than 1 goal down or if we need to get back in to games.

Have we ever lost a game when we've gone in to the lead?

I think it just says that we can't grab games by the scruff of the neck and take advantage when it matters. It's all well and good winning games 6-0 but it doesn't matter if we lose another 3 games by the odd goal. Perhaps the fighting spirit isn't up to standards? However, looking at it positively, it also shows that we don't roll over when we play teams and we do actually have some character and spirit and desire in the team when we are more than 1 goal down or if we need to get back in to games.

Have we ever lost a game when we've gone in to the lead?

Just once I think, Peterborough away. And yes I agree with you, our excellent GD has come about by scoring a load of 'pointless' goals - we don't really need a fifth or a sixth goal, it doesn't help us much. It's great that we're able to score that amount but we need to score consistently, I'd pick out yesterday as an example of where "consistent scoring" was needed.

Just once I think, Peterborough away. And yes I agree with you, our excellent GD has come about by scoring a load of 'pointless' goals - we don't really need a fifth or a sixth goal, it doesn't help us much. It's great that we're able to score that amount but we need to score consistently, I'd pick out yesterday as an example of where "consistent scoring" was needed.

It helps us in the big scheme of things - for example a huge goal-difference of +25 right now might be crucial on the last day if it comes to it.

My point was more towards scoring 6 in one game and losing the next game or 2. It is great scoring 6 and god knows everybody would love that we score 6 each game! We're creating too few chances recently due to lack of confidence. And the chances we get aren't going for us - the luck is not on our side right now.

We've lost 14 games so far

I'd rather us have lost 7 of them by 2 goals and have drawn the other 7 - with us on 66 points in 4th.

I know it doesn't work like that - but in all the games I've seen us lose this season (Wolves, Palace, Cardiff, Charlton, Derby) I've never seen us go 'all out crazy attacking' to get something out of the game.

Somehow we've gone from a playful attacking team that brimmed with talent, flair and played with a swagger to something possessing none of the above, no confidence and also lost pretty much all of its attacking emphasis.

I wonder if this horrible run is not being addressed partly due to the fact that there is little experience in the squad/team - i.e only really Morgan, Wellens.

One of the biggest problems I've seen in this run is that no one wants the ball during play, no one has the guts to take on possession and try to do something with it.

Not being able to scrap for away wins on a consistent basis despite never being out of a game will cost us. Now that's happening at home too but it's the away form that stands out over the course of the season.

Ipswich have the same away record as us (W5 D5 L9) yet their away GD is -19 whereas ours is somehow +1.

It tells us we are shit if we go one down.

So either pearson is ****ing clueless or the players cant follow instructions.

Or the players are just thick as **** and cant think for themselves.

Take your pick.

Archived