Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Player Ratings Vs Brighton (A)

Also, Nugent is playing out of position. But in-position, he's also not scoring. Give him a couple games on the side. However, Pearson will see it as too late to 'try players out' he will turn to his trustworthy players and pick the same team. I'd happily pick Schlupp Waghorn and Dyer up top. But he'd rather a Wood Nugent Marshall (not complaining with that three)

Wasn't at game but watched a good quality stream, think some are being a little harsh on Wood. Thought solid defensively and our midfield 3 worked well, James for me was MOTM. All round pleasing performance and shame we didn't get the win we deserved but something to build on for our next massive game! COYB :chant:

Wood was fine, was inches from scoring a goal, held the ball up, won a corner kick from absolutely nothing. Couldn't have expected more.

Our lot have, and always will have - a section of braindeads with unfeasable expectations, unfortunately.

the OP said nuge took one for thew team, do you mean the obvious yellow card for diving or something else??

kane - how this man is paid money to play football is beyond me. one of the worst loan players or player period, to pull on a leicester shirt in the last 10 years.

morgan and james played well, schlupp was dangerous the whole time he was on the pitch.

moore was taken to the cleaners by lua lua, he had him for pace every time.

Guest ttfn

Schmeichel 5 - Will be disappointed with the goal (to borrow a phrase from Andy Townsend).

Moore 5 - Got roasted a few times by Lua Lua, but at the same time made 2 or 3 good tackles. Spent most of the first half completed isolated out on the right as Marshall managed to pull off the trick of moving more centrally to get involved and becoming even less involved in the process.

Morgan 8 - Great player.

Keane 7 - Distribution has been a bit dodgy in recent games, but he is so much better than Whitbread.

Konchesky 7- Best game I've seen from him in a while. Solid.

Drinkwater 4 - Hopelessly out of form. The pass back to him before the goal was difficult to control but he just completely ****ed it up. He's slowing us down so much every time we get on the ball as well, it's really disappointing because he was running games six months ago.

James 8 - Busy performance before his well-taken goal. Thereafter he looked the best player on the pitch. Hopefully he'll kick on again from here.

King 8 - If he'd been able to finish any of those opportunities we'd be talking about one of the finest all-round displays by a City midfielder since Mark Davies left the club or before. Broke up play, moved the ball sensibly and quickly, found space in dangerous areas and played a number of incisive passes. Should have put Wood away near the end, but a really good performance.

Marshall 4 - Just did nothing. Again. So disappointing.

Schlupp 7.5 - Seems like we finally have somebody capable of playing the middle man in a 3. Put their centre backs under a lot of pressure, challenged for high balls, looked dangerous with the ball at his feet and looked lively in the penalty area. And we know he's fast, which will also be an advantage. Time for him to get a proper run, we've got nothing to lose now.

Nugent 6 - Tried hard out of position. Did an effective job for the team.

subs:

Wood 6 - Did well I thought.

Kane 3 - It's all been said elsewhere.

De Laet 5 - Odd one.

Schmeichel - 7.5 - Didn't have an awful lot to do if i'm honest but did the basics well. He was more bothered about upsetting the Brighton fans I think though.

Moore - 6.5 - Didn't deal with Lua-Lua very well at all. I still think he's more of a CB. Quality throw-ins though.

Morgan - 8 - Saved us on a few occasions as usual, solid performance.

Keane - 8.5 - Showing a lot of potential and gaining more and more confidence, impresses me more and more every game.

Konchesky - 7 - Got forward well, but a few sloppy passes.

Drinkwater - 5.5 - Looked awful compared to King and James, gave the ball away on many occasions.

King - 8.5 - Worked extremely hard, showed plenty of passion especially in the second half.

James - 9 - Absolutely quality, by far my MOTM, deserved his goal and probably the best performance I've seen him play.

Marshall - 7 - Corners were a lot better today. Lacking pace IMO.

Schlupp - 8.5 - Worked his socks off even though not everything was working for him.

Nugent - 6.5 - One of his worst performances for City in my eyes, didn't show any kind of commitment and wasn't really interested.

Subs;

De Laet - 7 - Didn't really add much to the game but did the basics well.

Kane - 5 - Poor.

Wood - 7 - Put a quite a lot of effort in when he came on, didn't have any service though.

Schmeichel 5 - Didn't have to do that much, but thought he could of done better with the goal

Moore 4 - Not impressed, Lua-Lua skinned him too many times

Morgan 7 - Good to have him back after one missed game, played a major part

Keane 7 - A reasonable comfortable performance

Konchesky 6 - Decent enough

James 8 - Today proves why I rate him, got back won balls, and also played his part in an attacking sense as well

King 7 - Worked well in midfield, him and James had good understanding and worked hard

Drinkwater 6 - Still a bit of a let down, very overrated

Marshall 5 - Poor season, wouldn't be surprised if we get rid in the Summer

Nugent 6 - Pretty average performance, should be doing better

Schlupp 7 - Looked really lively, could of done better with his chances

Subs

De Laet 5 - Didn't really notice him, could of even closed Lua-Lua down for their goal

Kane 2 - Useless, not good enough, hold onto the ball better

Wood 6 - Thought he looked decent, far better than recent weeks

Haven't bothered with one of these in quite a while.

Thought it was an interesting game, so here goes……..

Schmeichel 6. Did not have a huge amount to do but much of what he did was at best average. Unsighted or not, getting beat on your near post by a forward clearly coming inside to shoot was not great. Distribution remains poor, still too many long balls that go the full distance and his kicks to Nugent were not accurate, just giving the ball away in my view.

Moore 5. Worked hard and stuck to his task but was no match for Lua Lua which ultimately cost us, Brighton were putting everything down his flank. Looks to me that he has bulked up somewhat (to play centreback?) and no longer has the pace or mobility to cope with a quick winger.

Morgan 7. A fairly typical performance, mostly strong and comanding but still not dominating enough from corners and crosses. His reluctance to come wide and support his fullback left Moore exposed at times when he really needed the help.

Keane 8. An acomplished all round display, only real criticsm was that he resorted to the hoof a bit too often, particularly first half when we were pretty dominant.

Konchesky 7. Much better than of late, his combination with and runs past Nugent gave us options that we have not seen for some time, fairly solid defensively though perhaps still a little short of his best.

Drinkwater 6. A solid game marred by significant passing errors. Good defensively but when moving forward his confidence looks completely shot and far to many of his passes were forced or simply misplaced. Might need a rest.

James 8. Pretty good all round performance capped with his goal. That really surprised me as I consider him more suited to a deeper role, but maybe the extra man in midfield encouraged him to get forward. Perhaps lucky to get possesion but the finish was excellent, really picked his spot.

Marshall 6. Although one of our players who managed to look a bit lost at times, he was also the most likely to do something interesting. Came off his wing to try and make things happen but exposed Moore who got little help from anyone else. His corners were better too, we did seem to mix them up rather better than is usually the case.

King 8. Played well forward in the hole and got into good positions in and around their box but sadly his finishing is nothing like his best. Defensively he stayed well forward, mostly marking Bridcutt and denying Brighton of their midfield pivot. This was instrumental in gaining a degree of control of midfield which we had for most of the first hour.

Nugent 7. Thought he played well on the left, hustled and hassled his fullback, gave Konchesky the opportunity to overlap down the flank and attacked the box well from out wide, a very decent all round performance.

Schlupp 8. As virtually a lone frontman he did very well, when the ball was played on the ground anyway. Mixed it up well, coming short for balls into feet one moment and getting in behind the next, really should have done better when through on the keeper but looked a threat throughout.

Subs.

De Laet 6. Was brought on to support Moore by covering and filling the gaps, not really that effective though, Lua Lua still managed to get one on one with Moore much too often. Would probably have been better if he had simply taken on Lua Lua himself.

Wood 6. Tried hard enough but his lack of pace and any threat in behind allowed Brighton to go tight and dominate, which the could not do to Schlupp but could to Wood.

Kane 5. Another who tried hard to little effect, tried running at the defence but lost the ball on virtually every occasion, just wrong to play him in wide positions.

Marshall needs to go in the middle for King! Quality footballer, But hasn't got pace to be a winger. Schlupp on the left is well but i think Nigel plays Nugent there instead because he does a better defensive job. Overall a great display and was great to see Nigel tell his team to push higher up!

Schlupp impressed me I know it is big statement to say he is the new Heskey! but he has so much potential it is unreal I would play him upfront for every single remaining game he will find his goal scoring touch :fc:

Schlupp impressed me I know it is big statement to say he is the new Heskey! but he has so much potential it is unreal I would play him upfront for every single remaining game he will find his goal scoring touch :fc:

100% agree. If he was playing regularly up front, he would have been more composed when through. The more I see it, I cant understand why he didnt take it round the keeper who was well out of position?

If he starts up front against Brum we'll win. Unfortunately I can see NP bringing Wood back in.

I am becoming more and more bemused at the number of people saying Schlupp should have played on the left and Nugent in the middle. Have we not learnt yet that Nugent cannot hold the ball up? Schlupp gave us a lone striker masterclass, like somebody mentioned above, he would come short sometimes, others in behind, he worked the channels and closed down well. His turning on the ball was excellent and some extremely unselfish play. I REALLY REALLY hope he continues to play up front as our first choice striker and the goalscoring touch will come, he has created so many chances for himself against Barnsley and at Brighton... at Barnsley - the one where he flicked the ball over the defender and keeper saved well, following up when Konch hit the bar, another good save and his disallowed goal and then at Brighton - his 'one-on-one', not really a 1-on-1 in my opinion but I think Kusczak put him off coming out so far and with the ball being on Schlupp's right foot and then his neat turn and hit 2nd half.

This is a striker who creates chances for himself instead of bemoaning a lack of service...

I like Schlupp on the left because he can work the ball with his feet so much better than Nugent can, that and he looks dangerous running at the defence from deep. He also can time a tackle if needed so it gives Konch strong support. I think on the wings you need that great tight control of the ball, Knockaert has it too which makes him dangerous. Nugent on the other hand needs to be up front trying to beat offside and where a half chance or two coming his way might lead to a goal, he's once of our best finishers but he isn't going to get a goal from the halfway line.

I am becoming more and more bemused at the number of people saying Schlupp should have played on the left and Nugent in the middle. Have we not learnt yet that Nugent cannot hold the ball up? Schlupp gave us a lone striker masterclass, like somebody mentioned above, he would come short sometimes, others in behind, he worked the channels and closed down well. His turning on the ball was excellent and some extremely unselfish play. I REALLY REALLY hope he continues to play up front as our first choice striker and the goalscoring touch will come, he has created so many chances for himself against Barnsley and at Brighton... at Barnsley - the one where he flicked the ball over the defender and keeper saved well, following up when Konch hit the bar, another good save and his disallowed goal and then at Brighton - his 'one-on-one', not really a 1-on-1 in my opinion but I think Kusczak put him off coming out so far and with the ball being on Schlupp's right foot and then his neat turn and hit 2nd half.

This is a striker who creates chances for himself instead of bemoaning a lack of service...

Agree more or less...... :thumbup:

I think you are a bit harsh on Nugent, when he has played up front on his own he did not get much to work with, mostly just high balls hit up to him.

But overall I think saturday was a better combination, for those two anyway.

So all pretty much agree that jeff can do a job in the front line and encourages us to play football not hoofball.

I like the way he stays on his feet and rides a tackle the defenders soon work out hes a handful.Pity we are 40 games in but hey ho,he

'll probably do well until the end of the season and then off to Man U reserves for a hefty fee.

Kasper 6 - Should've saved their goal. He'll be annoyed.

Moore 7 - Solid performance.

Konch 7 - One of his better games for a while.

Morgan 7 - Standard.

Keane 7 - Gave his man no change.

Marshall 6 - Worked hard. But seemed out of position a lot.

King 7 - Got into some dangerous positions, unlucky not to score.

James 7 - Quick feet for his goal, hustle and bustle performance.

Drinkwater 6 - Such a frustrating player. Keeps things nice and tidy but slows us down.

Schlupp 7 - It's criminal that he's been behind Vardy and Waghorn in the pecking order. A genuine threat all game, utilised pace well.

Nuge 7 - Again, worked ever so hard. Win a lot of headers and started to look dangerous.

De Laet 6 - Surprised to see him come on where he did but still did ok.

Kane 3 - Did next to nothing, think it was his sloppy pass which put Drinkwater in trouble leading to the equaliser.

Wood 6 - Looked like the player we knew we'd signed, but had little help. Held the ball up well.

Wouldn't say we had a standout performer, just a solid collective team performance. We gave Lua Lua to much time on the edge of the box, and Kasper should've saved it.

I'd agree with all of these and the sloppy pass to Drinkwater wasn't Kane's first. He made one a couple of minutes earlier as well from which Brighton launched a dangerous attack

With the meanest defence in the Championship why can't we keep a lead.

We've chucked 4 points away at Brighton & Cardiff and in a months time that could be the difference.

On the flip side we have gained points in the last minute against middlesbourgh Dyer last minute winner and Barnsley and Leeds last minute equaliser it's all swings and roundabouts. You have to play for 90 mins to win a game.

I'd agree with all of these and the sloppy pass to Drinkwater wasn't Kane's first. He made one a couple of minutes earlier as well from which Brighton launched a dangerous attack

it was a poor pass, but also a poor turn by drinky.

Kane should of just played the percentage ball down the line, and once drinky got the ball, he should've just done the same.

Archived