Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tempwan Yierban

TPH's Ale Thread

Got some bottles in for Chrimbo - from Elgoods Brewery and St Peters. Lovely stuff. And found a pub in deepest darkest Norfolk last night selling porter for 2 quid a pint "before the first goal is scored". Thankfully it was a typical Mourinho away performance and we were pretty sloshed by the end of it!

I am patiently waiting for my local bottle shop to find a case for me. This Duvel is done with three(obviously) hop varieties..two stay the same but the third is changed out each year…delicious stuff!

Was drinking the Franziskaner Weissbier at the German Market in Birmingham a few weeks ago, good stuff, knew i'd had it the day after though, both head and wallet, expensive stuff, although think the German Market as a whole was expensive.

I did see a box of it though and it was about £40 so think it is expensive stuff on a whole, would have bought some but it's not £40 nice lol

Was drinking the Franziskaner Weissbier at the German Market in Birmingham a few weeks ago, good stuff, knew i'd had it the day after though, both head and wallet, expensive stuff, although think the German Market as a whole was expensive.

I did see a box of it though and it was about £40 so think it is expensive stuff on a whole, would have bought some but it's not £40 nice lol

How many in the box?

20 and they are 500ml bottles, so when you take that into account spose £40 isn't that bad but still abit steep for me, unless i'm ever feeling flush lol

Pretty good value if you are into that beer, but if you enjoy the odd one maybe not so much. If you ever see Weihenstephaner get that as it is the best hefe weissbier available, I think Tesco sell it.

Pretty good value if you are into that beer, but if you enjoy the odd one maybe not so much. If you ever see Weihenstephaner get that as it is the best hefe weissbier available, I think Tesco sell it.

Yeah the more I think about it, it isn't that bad, not bad value really.

Especially when you bear in mind it was £4 at the market - Yes that's how expensive the market was, but most things were expensive there, still cringing at how much I spent that day >_<

A good majority of it on beer.

Ok, not ale in any guise but TPH, given your love of port, you ought to try Chocolate Wine (not nearly as weird as it sounds!) 

31PFrA1OQfL.jpg

Never tried it - always happy to try something new. I'll keep an eye out.

Been neglecting the ale a little recently, since I've been largely drinking red wine, mulled wine, port, brandy, that sort of thing.

Around 19th December, I got in from work's xmas meal, having already drank a bottle of Argentinian Malbec (to go with about 30 ozs of Argentinian steak - and no that wasn't a good idea either), I got home and thought 'its a bit early, there's some good TV I need to catch up on, the house is cosy, the family are all in bed, its quiet, I might just sneak in a quick port. I do like port. Sadly it all ended with 3/4 of a bottle of Cockburn's Special Reserve and seemingly the last of my most prized and expensive brandy being polished off. I had worse (already opened) ports and worse brandies in the cupboard too. Sickening that I chose to mix the two really. I woke up the next day not feeling very well. I've since finished off a couple of other opened bottles of port, but its true what they say, once opened, finish it off!

Tonight, the wife and I are at this stuff:

1295p_brownbros_tempranillo.jpg

Its not expensive and its very nice. The 2009 Tarrango (also Brown Brothers) we had last night was also very agreeable.

As for the ales, this Christmas season its been all about the Adnams beers for me. If you've not tried them, treat yourself. The Broadside is probably my favourite, but they are all great. I've also had a few Shepherd Neame beers, but we take that a bit for granted around here.

Archived