Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tempwan Yierban

TPH's Ale Thread

My home brew was  a bloody disaster in the two barrels, but pretty good in the bottles.  :dunno: 

Ie some was cask brewed, some was bottle brewed?

What were you brewing mate, bitter?

A friend of mine has done sloe gin this year and apparently also a sloe port! Might get involved next year.

I was bought a 4 pack of ale but it had pictures of goblins and pixies etc on the bottle. It's probably very nice beer and I'll definitely drink it but it's that kind of association and the silly names they often get that puts me off real ale.

To complement my mother-in-law's meatball curry (which is the crack cocaine of home made curry, by the way) I am drinking a variety of bottled stouts - Williams Brothers "March of the Penguins" and Glencoe "Wild Oat Stout".

Mrs Vac will need a gas mask tonight...

:ph34r:

I've not done it. It was the first one I found so there are probably better ones.

wrong thread dont know how the post ended here.

Must have been Webbo's pixies and goblins. >_<

Ie some was cask brewed, some was bottle brewed?

What were you brewing mate, bitter?

A friend of mine has done sloe gin this year and apparently also a sloe port! Might get involved next year.

Used the Tom Caxton kit this year for the first time, and added my usual green hops, and a tiny amount of extra yeast.

• 3 weeks later...

King’s Head Leicester

Winter Beer Festival 2014

Jan 23rd-26th '14

On the racking...

Oat Stout—The Brew Co—4.3

Now—Art Brew—6.5%

Full Whack-Peerless—6%

Darling Buds—Warwickshire—4%

Liquid Bread—Bakehouse—4.5%

Shagweaver—North Cotswold—4.5%

Eighty Shilling—Rebel—5%

Bankers Draft—Wickwar—4%

Gem—Bath Ales—4.1%

Draught Bass—4.4%

On the Bar...

High Tea—Roosters—6.2%

Jerusalem—Brampton—4.6%

The Art of Darkness—Dark Star—3.5%

Rantipole—Three Tuns—3.6%

Russian Winter—tchen Valley—5.3%

Hands to Bathe—Elliswood—4.7%

Ginger Tosser—Skinners—3.8%

Dartmoor—St Austell—3.5%

In the Cellar...

Yellow Rose—Brew Co—4.5%

Frontier—Brew Co—4.7%

Stout—Three Tuns—4.4%

Saint Robert—Roosters—4.5%

Feast—Derventio—4.8%

Cotswold Way—Wickwar—4.2%

Partridge—Dark Star—4%

Special Pale Ale—Bath—3.7%

Outlawed—Springhead3.8%

King Rat—Rat Brewery—5%

Legless—Elliswood—4.9%

Cererus—Downton—4.2%

Dave—Great Heck—3.8%

Honeylocust—Wood Street—4.8%

Snowy Bay—Scarborough—4.1%

Earl Grey—Sadlers—4.2%

thekingsleicester.co.uk

I was searching for Top's age, but came across this magnificent December 2011 post from Thracian, which I'd missed at the time. I've copied it here rather than respond to it as it was in the "Pearson to get £10m promotion war chest" thread. If that had suddenly appeared, it could have confused and annoyed a lot of people!

I'm having a stint off the booze at the moment, but Thracian's post put a smile on my face as it reminded me why I'm NOT usually off the booze!!

Thracian's post:

"If we've got millions to spend the first thing we should do is have Barbars piped to our seats. It's about 8% proof and two or three pints of the Belgian honey-beer before each match would show all our players in a glowing (amber) light.

Even the street lamps look good after that stuff though they've only been known to win 1-0 - or was that the dustbins? Either way the thing about lamp-posts is that they're reliable - very solid defensively and they never bend no matter how much pressure is put on them.

With Barbars to hand - or even both hands - all the Leicester players should look positively frothy by comparison and no-matter what the tactics of the opposition, we'll be at their throats like they're the next waiting pint.

That's really what's wrong at the Knot-Pissed-Stadium. We sit there in our cramped seats listening to birthday greetings and mundane announcements about football in the commuity and we're effectively lulled to sleep. By the time the 15 minute interval is over and all the substitutions have eaten into more time any sense of excitement has disappeared.

Charged with Barbars the atmosphere would change dramatically. Any empty seats would be filled with blow-up representations of our favourite players which we could wave in the air when they scored. And if they missed we could blow em up again with a drawing pin and send them squivering through the air farting like friars after a feast of baked beans.

Perhaps Lee Jobber could be persuaded to fill his big bass drum with Barbars..and empty it over the crowd whenever we got a goal.. Hell, by the time we'd finished, the Thais could pursuade us we'd won a holiday on Venus - and how many football fans have ever had it off with an armless date!  :beer: 

Forget spending millions on players. Invest in Barbars and we'd soon see whatever we wanted too.  :bounce: 

Edited by Thracian, 13 December 2011 - 11:54 PM."

Drank too many of the dark, strong, Jennings ale yesterday. Can't remember the name of it. I've just had a bottle of Piddle in the Hole and it went down ok, so I reckon I'm alright!

Got 5 different ales and a bottle of Bacchus Cherry Beer (never tried before) for today. 

There was a question about golden ales a few posts ago. I have one and will let you know in a few hours!

Drank too many of the dark, strong, Jennings ale yesterday. Can't remember the name of it. I've just had a bottle of Piddle in the Hole and it went down ok, so I reckon I'm alright!

Got 5 different ales and a bottle of Bacchus Cherry Beer (never tried before) for today. 

There was a question about golden ales a few posts ago. I have one and will let you know in a few hours!

Well I love it - not sure if you will though as it is fairly sweet. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from my local after 3 pints of "Stairway to heaven" from Burton Bridge brewery.

Heavenly is the word.

I hate the song "Stairway to heaven" but would say that "Stairway to heaven" ale is simply the best that I've been exposed to for years, produced by the best brewery that I've ever come across.

A lovely clean drink with hoppy bite, but a subtle sweet flavour....leaving a wonderous headglow.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived