Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Chris Powell: Are we missing 'a good cop'?

Hi all,

Like many of you I'm sure I've been a bit Jekyll and Hyde this season about whether Pearson is good for us, or not.

On the whole I think he is definitely the right man for us. But one thing that has concerned me is that he does come across as the kind of guy who might might fall out with a player, who is not delivering what he wants. This is all speculation at the end of the day, but he also comes across as someone who doesn't manage egotistical players very well. In short Pearson is probably a bit like a strict dad type, who'll get the most out of some by being like that, but the worst out of others.

With respect to the above, could we be missing Chris Powell? He comes across as a completely different type, who'd get you to play for him in a different way. A kind of 'good cop' to Pearson's 'bad cop' if you like.

I'm not convinced the management have got the best out of the dressing room this season. Do we need another good cop in there? Do these things matter?

One final point to back Pearson up. Cardiff's manager said, after achieving promotion this year, that the most important thing for a team to have in this division in order to be successful, is character and work ethic. I think it's clear that Pearson is all about this.

Good post

It's something Pearson needs to address to further himself as a manager. I think at present he is a good championship manager but I'm not sure if he can overcome his stubbornness to progress any further.

I've been a big supporter of him at leicester and thank him for the relative success he has brought to us. I would be happy for him to stay but wouldn't be too upset of we changed things this summer. I would hope if he does go he'd get a decent reception if he was to return to the KP with a different club. Not very likely with some of the moronic fans we have.

Not heard anybody mentioned that excites me to be honest. Other than some unrealistic suggestions

Whilst I appreciate a well thought out post providing a fresh view - I'll have to kind of disagree.

Most of theses points about Pearson being a 'bad cop' and not having the ability to manage egos in the squad are purely guesswork and speculation. Many players and sources over the season have stated that the NP they see in the dressing room and on the training pitch is very different to the one the media, and ultimately the fans see.

This is more down to NP's way of managing the media (i.e never giving them anything to go on, and treating them with a small amount of contempt) than his supposed hard man/stubborn persona.

Whilst I appreciate a well thought out post providing a fresh view - I'll have to kind of disagree.

Most of theses points about Pearson being a 'bad cop' and not having the ability to manage egos in the squad are purely guesswork and speculation. Many players and sources over the season have stated that the NP they see in the dressing room and on the training pitch is very different to the one the media, and ultimately the fans see.

This is more down to NP's way of managing the media (i.e never giving them anything to go on, and treating them with a small amount of contempt) than his supposed hard man/stubborn persona.

We all know this and have heard it countless times from current players, ex players and people in and around the squad (Birch etc). Problem is if we accepted that, we wouldnt be able to have a million and one topics about it.

Basically, he treats Stringer like shit. Apart from that, he's fine media wise. His interviews with Clem on the FLS, when we're on Sky and when Jason Bourne interviews him are perfectly fine. Problem is we hear the Stringer interviews more often than any of them so are happier to accept that the 5 minute interviews we get via Stringer, define him as a person and a manager.

Has been mentioned a lot that Nige needs another coach. Powell was our defensive coach, went to Charlton and was replaced with Hamann, he left and then nothing's happened.

We don't need our defense sorting, our record this season should show that ample enough. We need an attacking coach. Someone who knows a few more free kick set pieces, and is a master of corner tactics. :thumbup:

We don't need our defense sorting, our record this season should show that ample enough. We need an attacking coach. Someone who knows a few more free kick set pieces, and is a master of corner tactics. :thumbup:

A master of corner tactics.

That would be one boring bastard.

I wouldn't mind seeing chris powell as manager. But i don't think nigel pearson is missing anyone i just think we went through a bad spell changed tactics, formation etc and then made it worse let him see out his contract won't make same mistakes again

Very true. That's kind of what I meant, instead of Stowell doing virtually everything.

Imagine if we had a good set piece taker. They are indispensible to some teams, look at Baines at Everton. His crossing and finishing is superb, as well as all of his set pieces. Sometimes it's the difference between good and bad.

Only takes a modicum of imagination to lighten the mood of a group of lads who are under almost constant pressure and scrutiny. For example Steve Harrison ex England number two to graham Taylor would stand on a table and defecate into a paper cup on the floor.

Master of corner tactics , :D :D :D :D Pancake strikes again. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Given his results with an underfunded Charlton squad, he seems much more than a good cop.

What he's done at Charlton reminds me of what Pearson did in our first season back in the Champ, although CP has obviously been less successful in that Charlton haven't made the P/Os. He's taken a very tight-knit bunch of players, made a few additions and got the best out of them. I really rate him as a manager but I don't know if he'd leave Charlton - he asbolutely loves it there. Also not sure if he'd be the best man to come into this club, shake things up and oversee what is probably quite a massive clear out and rebuild job. In fact, if Pearson gets the boot, I don't envy whoever's got to come in and sort this mess out.

What he's done at Charlton reminds me of what Pearson did in our first season back in the Champ, although CP has obviously been less successful in that Charlton haven't made the P/Os. He's taken a very tight-knit bunch of players, made a few additions and got the best out of them. I really rate him as a manager but I don't know if he'd leave Charlton - he asbolutely loves it there. Also not sure if he'd be the best man to come into this club, shake things up and oversee what is probably quite a massive clear out and rebuild job. In fact, if Pearson gets the boot, I don't envy whoever's got to come in and sort this mess out.

what mess? we have a brilliant, young and energetic squad which Pearson has built well. One or two changes next season is all thats needed. Keep Pearson and the same squad of players and we'll be promoted next season (thats if were not this)

what mess? we have a brilliant, young and energetic squad which Pearson has built well. One or two changes next season is all thats needed. Keep Pearson and the same squad of players and we'll be promoted next season (thats if were not this)

I've gone through this in my other thread, but the whole squad is a complete mismatch in terms of wages and it's going to cause some serious discontent. You've got a bunch of players on astronomical wages who are surplus to requirements, no-one wants them and they'll all be back at the club after the summer. Then you've got a bunch of young, good quality players who are on a fraction of what the big earners are getting paid, and they'll be looking at their contracts thinking 'why am I getting paid less when I contribute much more?' How do you think Chris Wood feels when he compares his contract to David Nugent's and Jermaine Beckford's? How do you think Wes Morgan feels when he compares his contract to Paul Konchesky's and Sean St Ledger's?

It's my opinion that as well as getting rid of Sven's piss poor signings, we might have to get rid of the good players he signed on massive wages to try and bring back some equality to the squad, because at the minute our better players - bar perhaps Kasper and Nugent - are the ones who are on the least and the worst players who aren't featuring are the ones raking it in and that is going to cause some serious ill-feeeling in the squad.

Archived