Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Positive reflection

I'm classing the season as good as over because if the unlikely happens then it really is a bonus. Infact playing in the Premier League should be seen as nothing other than a bonus for us in future, because when you actually scrutinize playing in the top league it's not the paradise it's made out to be. We're all aware of the inflated ticket prices, not playing on a Saturday and playing less frequently. The hammerings dished out, being last on Match of the day. An influx of mediocre foreign players, bigger wage bills.

If we got promoted then brilliant, we'd be thankful of being there at first but the above gripes, plus many more would come to the fore unless we were a success like we were in the late 90's. For us to be a success though we must build solid foundations, have a blueprint to follow and safeguard our future as a club. Currently I don't believe we have that, we're desperate to get promoted to be among the riches so that any debt we've built up chasing this dream can be relieved. However, if we got there we wouldn't just pay our debts off and take stock. We'd plough a load of dough in to trying to compete and if we fell short like QPR we'd be in just as much mess as before, if not worse.

Now i'm not saying we shouldn't aim to be successful but at what cost? The manner of our collapse this season has been agony for the fans and it's left us angry and embarrassed, but if we take a step back and take stock what have we got? We've a young squad with a little bit of quality, a manager who we have a fair amount of doubt about us and owners who seem to be in it for the long haul. Are we ready for promotion, the table suggests not but even if we hadn't dropped so alarmingly and were still in the hunt what could this club in it's current state achieve in the top flight?

We've wasted a lot of money in the last 2-3 seasons and I see no evidence that the club would operate more shrewdly should we gain promotion, so the dangers of relegation and financial ruin are there. I simply don't think this squad is ready, the manager isn't good enough and the only way we'd survive is wholesale change. Perhaps these changes still need to happen, I believe Pearson's time is up with us. I don't think he's got the ability to make us successful at this level, let alone any higher. I like his recruitment policy but he seldom looks to our academy to nurture, favouring bringing in other clubs youngsters and he loathes to purchase experienced players, which has proven very costly this season. In the years he's been a Leicester manager, he's never once had a dominant central midfielder who can control play. He's always signed box to box midfielders who are good passers but cannot win the physical battle that is seen in the majority of games at this level, especially away from home.

Talking of away form, it's been a disgrace this season and it was a weak point in his first tenure at this level. He's not learnt what is needed to win away games on a regular basis. The credit I will give him, is he's adopted a more attacking style of play since he returned to Leicester but he's made many mistakes at utilising his attacking options to their best ability. Knockaert being the most recent example, he terrorised teams when allowed a free role but since November onwards he's never been deployed there. Tony's form has dropped rapidly and he must shoulder some of that blame but Nigel has no ability to raise a player of his ilk and style. It's happen with Ben Marshall too, who's had a shocking season for most of it, devoid of confidence and composure that was seen in abundance when he joined us. The question is are players like these two actually good enough? I'd say they are as they've shown it in patches, both have represented their nation at under 21 level and both are highly thought of in the game. With some experience and a bit more pace and quality in this squad then it could get over the line and get promotion.

I want our owners to take a long, hard look at this club from top to bottom this summer and come up with a plan to build a lasting legacy. A new manager is needed, further investment of time, money and belief in to our academy. A manager who is innovitive and can get the best out of his players, someone who isn't pig headed and allows his players to play with freedom and confidence.

Overall it's been a mediocre season, which has left a bad taste in my mouth. There's been glimpses of sheer brilliance and moments of harrowing despair. The real quality like Matty James, Wes Morgan, Kasper Schmeichel, Knockaert, Wood and Nugent has come to the fore. That needs to be built on and more consistently, the rest of the squad needs to follow suit and either be disposed of or added to. Danny Drinkwater, Ben Marshall, Andy King, Jeff Schlupp and several others need to continue to progress and learn, all of them have the potential and ability to succeed at a higher level.

Not playing in the top flight next season doesn't bother me, it honestly doesn't. I'll only ever enjoy seeing my club at that level when it DESERVES to be there. Bring on 2013/14

Good post Ric.

These days to be successful and I've said this many times before is we need an overall playing strategy. We need to identify the style of football we want to see and then ensure it's practised at all levels by management and players. Players need to be recruited at all levels to ensure they fit that style.

If we need to change managers, hopefully because they are successful then they need to be committed to the the club style and strategy.

Going from Pearson via Sousa and Sven back to Pearson was a massive mistake because their wildly different approaches to the game was the main reason for the massive player turnover.

If you have a club strategy and style of play changing managers would then not result in this player turnover we continually suffer.

That said I just don't see it happening the rush for success exacerbated by the previous mistakes and wasted money has resulted in and will continue to result in panic decision making.

I had a similar conversation with a friend down the pub last weekend. He's desperate for us to be in the PL as soon as possible & at any cost. I tried to make some of the points you have made.........except I was very drunk!!

It would be good to go up & do what Swansea have done.........but it has more of a QPR feel about it.

I'm not sure either way if Pearson is the man for the job? If we are to achieve any kind of stability then I can't think of anyone better.

Yes it was a good post but I don't see the point of supporting and going down to see a side that is happy to stay in this league year in year out just because they are scared of being in the Premiership. Most supporters go down in the hope of getting promoted and then seeing the likes of Man unt, Man city, Chelsea, Aresnal ect If we have no ambition what is the point of existing as a club ?

You may like playing the likes of Barnsley because it usually ends in a win for us ( though not this year ) :D but Honestly some of the dross football played at this level should make us all want to play at a higher level surely ?

What is NFP's philosophy he hasn't got one!

So for me he most certainly isn't the manager to take us into the prem and keep us there.

That is why for me we need a forward thinking manager who plays football the right way first and foremost then you can look at his credentials, whether he has managed at this level and the prem etc, we have the players capable of playing football the right way so it isn't as if a Sousa esque effect will happen, tough job for the owners to find that man but that is what the future of our club depends on.

Yes it was a good post but I don't see the point of supporting and going down to see a side that is happy to stay in this league year in year out just because they are scared of being in the Premiership. Most supporters go down in the hope of getting promoted and then seeing the likes of Man unt, Man city, Chealsea, Aresnal ect If we have no ambition what is the point of existing as a club ?

You may like playing the likes of Barnsley because it usually ends in a win for us ( though not this year ) :D but Honestly some of the dross football played at this level should make us all want to play at a higher level surely ?

He is basically saying we're not ready for the premier league yet, yes it would be amazing to go up and see some one the worlds best on show, but at what cost? And the evidence proving we're not ready is in the table.

He is basically saying we're not ready for the premier league yet, yes it would be amazing to go up and see some one the worlds best on show, but at what cost? And the evidence proving we're not ready is in the table.

But to be fair is any club in the championship ready to go up ? Not if they don't invest wisely once they have got there. I can't see any club staying up without a big change in the team and we would be no different in my opinion.

I would go as far as to say neither Cardiff or Hull would be strong enough to stop up with their current squad.

But to be fair is any club in the championship ready to go up ? Not if they don't invest wisely once they have got there. I can't see any club staying up without a big change in the team and we would be no different in my opinion.

I would go as far as to say neither Cardiff or Hull would be strong enough to stop up with their current squad.

It's hard to gauge whether a team is ready to go up or not, but if a club is ran well and has a good recruitment philosophy and style then it gives them every chance. Swansea are a very good example and they've had a series of managers over the last 4-5 years and their style and mantra has stayed exactly the same, it's that sort of approach i'd like at Leicester. I would love us to play in the top flight again and be successful but i'm far more interested in us doing it the right way.

A super post. Thank you for taking the time to compose it. The Watford game demonstrated the challenges you have eloquently summarised. I think we tried as hard as possible, and were totally committed. I saw no sense that the players weren't giving their all for the Club. But we lacked quality, and at times I thought Watford's fluid passing and movement was going to rip us to shreds. It was like when we played at Birmingham in the Autumn. During that first half we were so good it looked like a training game, but as many others have noted, that approach disappeared soon after. So Nigel can lead a team that plays quality football, but why did he lose his nerve. The question the owners must ask is will Nigel learn and adapt, or is he too stubborn to do this? Upon the answer to that question must they make their decision. And then we must decide on our strategy. I say we look to outpass and outmanoeuvre our opponents, but that we acquire one or two hard midfielders for when we simply have to bully our way to three points at places like Barnsley on cold February evenings

It's hard to gauge whether a team is ready to go up or not, but if a club is ran well and has a good recruitment philosophy and style then it gives them every chance. Swansea are a very good example and they've had a series of managers over the last 4-5 years and their style and mantra has stayed exactly the same, it's that sort of approach i'd like at Leicester. I would love us to play in the top flight again and be successful but i'm far more interested in us doing it the right way.

Fair enough very good point. But can I ask if you see Pearson bringing that to the club ?

Fair enough very good point. But can I ask if you see Pearson bringing that to the club ?

From Ric's OP - " I believe Pearson's time is up with us. I don't think he's got the ability to make us successful at this level, let alone any higher."

I'm classing the season as good as over because if the unlikely happens then it really is a bonus. Infact playing in the Premier League should be seen as nothing other than a bonus for us in future, because when you actually scrutinize playing in the top league it's not the paradise it's made out to be. We're all aware of the inflated ticket prices, not playing on a Saturday and playing less frequently. The hammerings dished out, being last on Match of the day. An influx of mediocre foreign players, bigger wage bills.

If we got promoted then brilliant, we'd be thankful of being there at first but the above gripes, plus many more would come to the fore unless we were a success like we were in the late 90's. For us to be a success though we must build solid foundations, have a blueprint to follow and safeguard our future as a club. Currently I don't believe we have that, we're desperate to get promoted to be among the riches so that any debt we've built up chasing this dream can be relieved. However, if we got there we wouldn't just pay our debts off and take stock. We'd plough a load of dough in to trying to compete and if we fell short like QPR we'd be in just as much mess as before, if not worse.

Now i'm not saying we shouldn't aim to be successful but at what cost? The manner of our collapse this season has been agony for the fans and it's left us angry and embarrassed, but if we take a step back and take stock what have we got? We've a young squad with a little bit of quality, a manager who we have a fair amount of doubt about us and owners who seem to be in it for the long haul. Are we ready for promotion, the table suggests not but even if we hadn't dropped so alarmingly and were still in the hunt what could this club in it's current state achieve in the top flight?

We've wasted a lot of money in the last 2-3 seasons and I see no evidence that the club would operate more shrewdly should we gain promotion, so the dangers of relegation and financial ruin are there. I simply don't think this squad is ready, the manager isn't good enough and the only way we'd survive is wholesale change. Perhaps these changes still need to happen, I believe Pearson's time is up with us. I don't think he's got the ability to make us successful at this level, let alone any higher. I like his recruitment policy but he seldom looks to our academy to nurture, favouring bringing in other clubs youngsters and he loathes to purchase experienced players, which has proven very costly this season. In the years he's been a Leicester manager, he's never once had a dominant central midfielder who can control play. He's always signed box to box midfielders who are good passers but cannot win the physical battle that is seen in the majority of games at this level, especially away from home.

Talking of away form, it's been a disgrace this season and it was a weak point in his first tenure at this level. He's not learnt what is needed to win away games on a regular basis. The credit I will give him, is he's adopted a more attacking style of play since he returned to Leicester but he's made many mistakes at utilising his attacking options to their best ability. Knockaert being the most recent example, he terrorised teams when allowed a free role but since November onwards he's never been deployed there. Tony's form has dropped rapidly and he must shoulder some of that blame but Nigel has no ability to raise a player of his ilk and style. It's happen with Ben Marshall too, who's had a shocking season for most of it, devoid of confidence and composure that was seen in abundance when he joined us. The question is are players like these two actually good enough? I'd say they are as they've shown it in patches, both have represented their nation at under 21 level and both are highly thought of in the game. With some experience and a bit more pace and quality in this squad then it could get over the line and get promotion.

I want our owners to take a long, hard look at this club from top to bottom this summer and come up with a plan to build a lasting legacy. A new manager is needed, further investment of time, money and belief in to our academy. A manager who is innovitive and can get the best out of his players, someone who isn't pig headed and allows his players to play with freedom and confidence.

Overall it's been a mediocre season, which has left a bad taste in my mouth. There's been glimpses of sheer brilliance and moments of harrowing despair. The real quality like Matty James, Wes Morgan, Kasper Schmeichel, Knockaert, Wood and Nugent has come to the fore. That needs to be built on and more consistently, the rest of the squad needs to follow suit and either be disposed of or added to. Danny Drinkwater, Ben Marshall, Andy King, Jeff Schlupp and several others need to continue to progress and learn, all of them have the potential and ability to succeed at a higher level.

Not playing in the top flight next season doesn't bother me, it honestly doesn't. I'll only ever enjoy seeing my club at that level when it DESERVES to be there. Bring on 2013/14

Brilliant brilliant post.

Bollocks

Great post I agree. I would also say this is as close to a proper long-term strategy as we've had since O'Neill. Young, talented players with resale value. The problem is the style of football and loss of form. Agree the players are promising enough to persist with but the manager has probably run his course now.

Archived