Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Chris Wood...

Crikey

Were you watching another game?

Nuge was doing a job on the creative side of Watford's game... He was playing deep in the 4411, (later seemed to change to central person in 4231, behind Kane) he spent 94mins preventing their players from picking the ball out of defence and playing long passes to their pacey players & was absolutely as instrumental in our clean sheet as Kasper's excellent 2 saves.

I fear for what might have happened had such a hard working player as Nugent not 'took one for the team' and done that job

This is the obvious defensive role for the man playing in the hole, pick up the oppositions deep lying playmaker or 'point man', stop him setting up attacks and cut off the ball back to him when the more advanced players get in trouble and look to pass back.

It's hardly bloody rocket science but it has taken us practically the whole season to work it out.

Only surprise was that the role was given to Nugent, I would have thought a more creative type would have given us more going forward, but then Nugent did score that goal...... :dunno:

I thought Wood did ok, he's the only player who can compete for long balls with the opposition defense. Alot of the time he was chesting balls down but there was noone anywhere near for him to get the ball too.

I disagree ... Based on last nights performance I think the young lad from spurs 'Arry can aptly take on that role. He really put himself about last night when he came on. I think he was actually a game changer.

I really don't know what it is with wood, are we not playing to his strengths, constant long balls being thrown up to him, but to me he seems like a player who is not happy here for what ever reason, and his performances seem very lacklustre since January, which is very frustrating as he is proven to be a regular goal scorer at this level. Could be a matt mills scenario come the summer, hope not.

This is the obvious defensive role for the man playing in the hole, pick up the oppositions deep lying playmaker or 'point man', stop him setting up attacks and cut off the ball back to him when the more advanced players get in trouble and look to pass back.

It's hardly bloody rocket science but it has taken us practically the whole season to work it out.

Only surprise was that the role was given to Nugent, I would have thought a more creative type would have given us more going forward, but then Nugent did score that goal...... :dunno:

I would think Knockaert is ready made for that role, I just think his lack of pace would have been an issue & his threat on the right would give that LWB a reason to stay on the back foot.

Marshall or Gallagher are also suited to it, but last night in particular it was about 94mins of graft & endless running, the skill might be needed if the game opens up more in the second leg as it surely will

Looks a bit frustrated out there too. He would chest the ball down brilliantly from a big kick from Schmeichel, and lay it down to another player in the same control (which it looks like something that would have been implemented in training) but no one was responding. Saw this about 3 times in the first half last night and it could have created chances.

I think you have to distinguish between different types of long ball. The one hit for him to take with his back to goal he takes quite well, if it's fast and direct - though there was one stark example last night when he chested it down and no-one anticipated where it would go. He's quite good on chasing the ball over the top in the space between a high line-defence and the keeper but we really are abysmal at playing that kind of pass. But what he gets most of the time are carelessly placed, slowly dropping balls which at best he will only flick on and which really rely on a combination of him winning the first header and a teammate anticipating where said header will go. At best it's 50-50 for winning the header and 50-50 for anticipating the flick-on so that type of ball will lose us possession most of the time - 75/25.  This is why our play breaks down when defenders start playing it long and not through the midfield. And that's why the numskull who sits behind me really gets on my nerves when he starts screaming for defenders to clear their lines when their chief objective should be to retain possession whenever possible.

I think people look at him as a target man when he really isn't.

This! Lost count of the times when Kasper kicked a high ball to him and  he tried to take it down,but just seemed to bounce off him.Needs the ball to feet for me.

I think you have to distinguish between different types of long ball. The one hit for him to take with his back to goal he takes quite well, if it's fast and direct - though there was one stark example last night when he chested it down and no-one anticipated where it would go. He's quite good on chasing the ball over the top in the space between a high line-defence and the keeper but we really are abysmal at playing that kind of pass. But what he gets most of the time are carelessly placed, slowly dropping balls which at best he will only flick on and which really rely on a combination of him winning the first header and a teammate anticipating where said header will go. At best it's 50-50 for winning the header and 50-50 for anticipating the flick-on so that type of ball will lose us possession most of the time - 75/25.  This is why our play breaks down when defenders start playing it long and not through the midfield. And that's why the numskull who sits behind me really gets on my nerves when he starts screaming for defenders to clear their lines when their chief objective should be to retain possession whenever possible.

I call this "The Howard equation"!First the Goalie/Defender has to find the target man with a ball,then said target man has to get on to the ball and head it to another player on the same side.Sometimes works,but seems to me that at least 95% of the time it don't!

I call this "The Howard equation"!First the Goalie/Defender has to find the target man with a ball,then said target man has to get on to the ball and head it to another player on the same side.Sometimes works,but seems to me that at least 95% of the time it don't!

Yes I think that's right. There's also an assumption that someone who is tall must be good in the air - Howard wasn't especially good and neither is Wood. If you can hit a long ball which a striker can definitely take and retain possession then it can relieve pressure. If he just flicks on to the opposition keeper then it's achieved nothing. Ditto some of Kasper's long kicks really.  

jesus christ people on here. I thought you were all loving it how he layed the ball off for knocky at forest? One day he's good the next he's sh**. I think he played not too bad last night

Don't think we're getting on the lads back,just saying the balls we played to him last night were not suited to his game.

Two things:

1. Looks injured/unfit

2. He's another player who I don't think benefits from Pearson's long-ball tactic. I don't think Wood is a bad 'target man' but I think he's a better footballer than simply being used as a big bloke for Kasper to kick to. He looks a bit lost in this role IMO.

Can't work out if I rate him yet. Time will tell I guess. Kanes work rate is certainly greater than woods, whether that is due to wood being injured or attitude don't know, management would know I hope

Two things:

1. Looks injured/unfit

2. He's another player who I don't think benefits from Pearson's long-ball tactic. I don't think Wood is a bad 'target man' but I think he's a better footballer than simply being used as a big bloke for Kasper to kick to. He looks a bit lost in this role IMO.

I was saying exactly that second point to a mate of mine before the game last night.

Three important contributions from Wood in our last two away games: great finish for the equaliser at Palace, nice touch in the buildup to King's goal at Forest, did the right thing to set up Knockaert for the winner at Forest.

One or two more on Sunday and maybe he'll be cut a bit of slack.

I appreciate the forum relies on discussion but it's ridiculous to constantly label off-form players as rubbish when they have demonstrated quality. We can't sell and buy according to form.

His first touch is shocking for a professional footballer. He doesn't challenge for headers and he doesn't defend well from the front. That said, he has scored a lot of goals. If it's played in front of him he seems really effective, it's just that as we've got to the business part if the season, where games have become tighter and clubs are either fighting for survival or promotion, his lack of ability to do the dirtier side of a strikers role (holding up the ball, challenging for a header and generally putting himself about a bit) has not helped the team when they need a bit of pressure to be taken off the defence and midfield. Kane was much more effective in this role yesterday, for a lad of just 19, he did very well.

Most obvious thing in the world that he's carrying an injury! Immobile, slow, cant jump, not putting himself about. And anyone who suggests Waghorn could come in and do a job is completely deluded! HE'S CRAP

Most obvious thing in the world that he's carrying an injury! Immobile, slow, cant jump, not putting himself about. And anyone who suggests Waghorn could come in and do a job is completely deluded! HE'S CRAP

Agree,

Stated earlier wood can score at this level but something not been right since he was injured before the Peterborough game, maybe he has never recovered properly.

Moving on to waghorn, I have to agree, had his chances early season and was found wanting, I would rather have beckford in the squad if wood pulls out of the next game or two.

I don't rate either of them but beckford is the only one out of the reserve strikers who is match fit after being on loan.

And Pearson can't rate him if Vardy has made the bench in front of waghorn

What is everyone's thoughts on Chris Wood at the minute?

Do you think he is overrated?

A bag of shit, who is useless?

Too slow?

A good striker, who is just off form?

A player who is capable of playing in the Prem?

His form is a worry at the moment, when the team has picked up momentum he still seems to be playing shit.

He's fine what do expect him to do when all we've been doing of late is hoofing up to him he won 7-8 knock downs last night and nobody was there was there to pick it up.

Archived