Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Chris Wood...

What is everyone's thoughts on Chris Wood at the minute?

Do you think he is overrated?

A bag of shit, who is useless?

Too slow?

A good striker, who is just off form?

A player who is capable of playing in the Prem?

His form is a worry at the moment, when the team has picked up momentum he still seems to be playing shit.

He is still carrying that injury from a while back he doesn't look as mobile as he did.

Doesn't make sense to play him if he is injured or ill for that matter we have the likes of Kane/Schlupp and Waghorn who are more than good enough to partner Nugent.

I don't think it's a case of him being injured, I think he' just been found out a bit. Defenders are on him so tight, the amount of times he was on the floor yesterday showed how much pressure was on him whenever he got the ball. They know he's our main outlet so are on him in a shot before he can lay it off or whatever.

First touch needs a lot of work.

But hasn't fully recovered from an injury earlier on in the season. I don't believe all the crap about he and Pearson's daughter. A Forest fan probably made that up.

After such a bursting start in terms of goals when he arrived, he set his heights very high. That's not to say he shouldn't have scored all those goals; far from that. But because the bar was raised so high in the first place due to his own good form, he's found it hard to replicate game after game and then obviously coupled with the team's poor form as a whole hasn't helped his or anyone's cause.

It's a confidence thing. Players don't lose confidence forever. He and his goalscoring form will return.

Is about as funny as the watford fans on their forum who are berating Vydra and want him to never play for them again

I will take 20 goals a season from him, never mind how well he plays.

It's not a coincidence in my opinion that the players which have played ok the last few weeks are the ones who have played  a lot before at this level (king, dyer, morgan, kasper) as well as the one's who have recently come in the side (james).

A lot of the youngsters may be beginning to burn out, after all they havent played a lot of regular first team football.

Guest BlueBrett

He doesn't seem to get many chances in front of goal any more.  Maybe he needs to work on his positioning/movement.  I think he is a decent finisher and he wins the majority of balls in the air so it's just a case of using him properly.

If most of you are claiming he might still be injured, or hasn't got over a previous injury yet, while the hell are we playing him then?

Because we have nobody else?

Where the hell is Waghorn, he actually picked up some form this season, but we haven't seen him for ages.

I actually thought he played quite well last night and was surprised Pearson took him off instead of Nugent

agreed. Even though Nuge scored, he should have been taken off not wood, based on their performances up until the substitution.

He doesn't seem to get many chances in front of goal any more.  Maybe he needs to work on his positioning/movement.  I think he is a decent finisher and he wins the majority of balls in the air so it's just a case of using him properly.

This x1000. I think his great goal against Palace, well into the doldrums he's been in since February, shows what he can still do when he gets an oppurtunity.

He seems to be drifting out wide too often. I've lost count of the amount of times Wood has provided a good cross from the wing, which finds nobody - because he should be the one in the box on the end of it!

I actually thought he played quite well last night and was surprised Pearson took him off instead of Nugent

Spot on!

I thought he did ok last night. He was trying to knock/chest balls down last night but was unlucky that other players weren't there to pick up the second balls.

The guy runs his socks off and has a real tough streak in him...I like that about the guy, doesn't roll around or feel sorry for himself and genuinley seems to love the club. With the amount of cash we're throwing at players these days, it's tough to find players like that.

I think people look at him as a target man when he really isn't.

When he first came here all of his goals were instinctive finishes, snap shots of real accuracy that found the net or him running with the ball before unleashing a shot. With us having not been playing as well as when he first arrived those opportunities have been less and there's been more lumping it up to him and expecting him to do something with it.

When the ball is played into his feet he's very good at holding it up (although sometimes holds onto it for too long), when it's played at or above head height he's not so good at dealing with it. And I find that really frustrating because of his height and size, he could quite easily be an effective target man if he learnt to compete for headers and look to make clever flick ons rather than trying to bring everything down on his chest (as he currently does, often losing control because he's trying to kill a ball that should be flicked on).

I'd keep him in the team because if a chance falls he seems fairly reliable but he has a few things to work on if he wants to reach the top of his game. Whether or not this injury is affecting it I don#t know but his work rate when we're out of possession hasn't been as good as it could/should be recently.

If most of you are claiming he might still be injured, or hasn't got over a previous injury yet, while the hell are we playing him then?

Because we have nobody else?

Where the hell is Waghorn, he actually picked up some form this season, but we haven't seen him for ages.

Quite.

Though I do think he has an issue (knee?) which is hampering his mobility. Has not been the same player since his (enforced?) break in January. 

If he is 'fit', then what we have seem in the last 3 months makes him a worse buy than Vardey....... :dunno:

I thought Wood did ok, he's the only player who can compete for long balls with the opposition defense. Alot of the time he was chesting balls down but there was noone anywhere near for him to get the ball too.

My thoughts exactly. The guy is 5th top scorer in the Championship and I think his recent dip in form is due to him not being fully fit.

Not sure he's on a dry spell, or in poor form

He actually looks a very, very bad player

I'm bemused as to how he's scored all these goals, which must mean he has something to make him not a very, very bad player... So I'm happy to be wrong, I just don't see it.

agreed. Even though Nuge scored, he should have been taken off not wood, based on their performances up until the substitution.

Crikey

Were you watching another game?

Nuge was doing a job on the creative side of Watford's game... He was playing deep in the 4411, (later seemed to change to central person in 4231, behind Kane) he spent 94mins preventing their players from picking the ball out of defence and playing long passes to their pacey players & was absolutely as instrumental in our clean sheet as Kasper's excellent 2 saves.

I fear for what might have happened had such a hard working player as Nugent not 'took one for the team' and done that job

Simply a matter of form? Or feeling a bit depressed for whatever reason?

He's currently playing with the same down in the dumps depressed body language as Wayne Rooney. Can't remember seeing Nugent ever come across like that even before his barren streak came to an end last night. I sighed relief when he was subbed last night. Both Kane and Nugent looked light and far more mobile/dangerous.

Everything went right for him when he joined and was a real handful for defenders. His hold up play and distribution was first class and he got himself in the right place at the right time to score. Since the "injury" whatever it was he has not been the same and would guess this is a combination of still carrying a knock and defenders being told to tighten up on him. He is a determined young man with emphasis on young ( young, as are so many of our team) and he will come good again for us.

What I really liked last night was a demonstration of that determination and focus during the first half. He followed a ball in to the box that Almunia went to the ground in order to collect and Wood followed in and left his foot in to try and get a touch on the ball. Wood turned away ran back in to position without a word of apology or a pat on Almunia's back when these days you see strikers apologising and checking to see if the goalie was alright. Wood didn't care, he is focused on his job and in succeeding.

Lets be honest, he's playing turd at the moment.

If I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt I'd suggest he's injured. He's certainly very short on confidence.

You can say he's just having it hoofed up for him but 1) that is partly because he does not move into space or towards the ball to give players an option and 2) he does not even jump for headers, which is unforgivable. Even from corsses he's barely challenging when it's there to be attacked.

Most of the time he's just wandering around sluggishly with no desire to use any strength or determination. For a big man he is very weak, he is pushed off the ball extremely easily and that just isn't good enough.

His first touch is also appalling generally, at times he's completely missing the ball, he does not look comfortable at all. He and Nugent both look well off the pace to me.

Kane has had fair criticism as well since he's been here but he looked much better than Wood when he came on. Ironically though it was his shit first touch that drew the foul for the goal.

We are going to pay for our strikers all being badly out of form.

Archived