Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vale Blue

Is there really a better alternative to Pearson

Given NPs record in the Championship, his record with LCFC and the fact this is his team, there surely isn't a better alternative out there.

If we brought in someone else they would want to start again, we literally cant meet the FFP requirements now, how are we meant to spend more. NP I believe can reduce the wage bill and get rid of deadwood, no other manager currently named could do that.

O'Neill, Lennon and Hughes would want to spend. Hughes is dreadful, Lennon I'm not massively impressed, he's had it so easy in Scotland with Rangers gifting them all his trophies.

O'Neill is he passed it or just needs an absolute shed load to be successful? 

Given NPs record in the Championship, his record with LCFC and the fact this is his team, there surely isn't a better alternative out there.

If we brought in someone else they would want to start again, we literally cant meet the FFP requirements now, how are we meant to spend more. NP I believe can reduce the wage bill and get rid of deadwood, no other manager currently named could do that.

O'Neill, Lennon and Hughes would want to spend. Hughes is dreadful, Lennon I'm not massively impressed, he's had it so easy in Scotland with Rangers gifting them all his trophies.

O'Neill is he passed it or just needs an absolute shed load to be successful? 

Specious reasoning. :rolleyes:

I 2nd that...£1 million for reg vardy..another great investment from N&P

I'm sure Pearson dosen't want to spend any money either!!!!! You also make it sound like he hasn't spent so far either. This praise for such a failure is astonishing.

Are you gonna whinge & wine all the way & be forever miserable, or are you gonna back him whilst he's our man with the idea being we're better off all pulling in the same direction.

All managers have bad signings, even Fergie said the best you can hope for is above 50%.

Vardy got about 4 goals in 9 early in the season, did the work of two men too as we tore up most teams we faced, playing in the midfield, wide men & strike partner well, didn't seem to come back the same player after his illness & injury though & with our usual miserable cvnting 'supporters' on his back straight the way it's hardly surprising he struggled with the pressure & tried too hard, resulting in even more pressure until his wheels fell off.

I don't know if he will make it with us, but his early season game showed that there's a chance he could.

Are you gonna be snidey & moaning all summer & next season or get behind 'em

So what about Morgan, Knockaert and James then? Or are we just selecting certain players again?

... There is not one manager in the World, that has made fantastic signings on a constant basis. Alex Ferguson, for example. Yes he brought Ronaldo, Rooney and Van Nistelrooy, but how many 'poor' signings has he also made? Forlan, Bebe, Tiabi etc.

I will always disagree with these kinds of posts, untill something logical is posted/something we can actually debate. You can't just chose his poor signings to 'back up' your opinion of him, take a look around... Hobbs, Morrison, Wellens, Morgan, James were all Nigel Pearson signings. Cheap Nigel Pearson signings.

I'm sure Pearson dosen't want to spend any money either!!!!! You also make it sound like he hasn't spent so far either. This praise for such a failure is astonishing.

It just annoys me personally when people say 'oh Nigel has spent a load'. First of all, he had to because of the (fairly) poor squad he inherited - certain players were not good enough and that needed improving (Bamba, Mills, Peltier, Gallagher etc). However, he hasn't exactly spent alot. Vardy cost £1, James and De Laet were £500,000, Knockaert was undisclosed but I'm sure it wasn't too much.

Only the other day, someone said 'he has spent alot, if not the most, in this division'. Do people forget about the likes of Blackburn (£8million of one player), Cardiff (£10million they spent) as well as Nottingham Forest and maybe even Hull (in fact, yes Hull also because my flatmate supports Hull and has just said they spent about £6million). They all spent more than us.

As for 'failure', yes we did fall from top of the league to 6th, but Nige got us into that position. I agree, we should have probably claimed automatic, but we finished 6th and were literally one penalty away from the play off final. How many times did we lose by two goals? Twice; Barnsley and Watford. And I noticed that out of the top 6 itself, only Watford beat us twice.

8th highest net spender, would have been even lower had relegated sides not boosted their coffers with sales of their 'star' men

2 highest net spenders were Cardiff & Hull, who surprise surprise comes 1st & 2nd...shows how badly our previous manager did when he was the highest spending the summer before, players who are still acting a drag now.

Given that 7 clubs had higher net spending added to the fact Pearson has been tasked with cutting the cloth & has shipped over 30 players out & (in the main) replaced them with 20ish year olds on a fraction of the wage who finished higher... With some more obvious departures still to go, leading to further strengthening... Any fool can see the job is half done

8th highest net spender, would have been even lower had relegated sides not boosted their coffers with sales of their 'star' men

2 highest net spenders were Cardiff & Hull, who surprise surprise comes 1st & 2nd...shows how badly our previous manager did when he was the highest spending the summer before, players who are still acting a drag now.

Given that 7 clubs had higher net spending added to the fact Pearson has been tasked with cutting the cloth & has shipped over 30 players out & (in the main) replaced them with 20ish year olds on a fraction of the wage who finished higher... With some more obvious departures still to go, leading to further strengthening... Any fool can see the job is half done

8th highest net spender this season. To suggest we aren't one of the highest spenders is rather misleading when you consider that he inherited the most expensively assembled side in the division and still maintains one of the highest wage budgets in the division, and a squad assembled with the highest fees paid to agents of any club in this league. He retains, regularly, Schmeichel, Konchesky and Nugent of the Sven era signings (and, in addition, Beckford, St Ledger and Danns were previously consistently first choices). It's not as if he hasn't benefited from that 2011 spending.

There are many arguments to suggest that Pearson should stay. But the 'he's operated on a shoestring' argument is utterly groundless. We have one of the most expensive squads in the division - end of.

And, while we're at it, 'he replaced them with 20ish year olds' - to my mind the only players aged 20 or under signed by Pearson have been on loan. I make the average age of his signings 24. I looked into this 'youngest squad in the league' business, and we have played many sides this year with younger line-ups than our own. I honestly don't know where we acquire these facts from.

And 'over 30 players out' - he's permanently got rid of 15 players, not 30. Why is it necessary to speak utter rubbish in order to justify your point? Even with loans he's only moved on 24, and 9 of those, evidently are back at the club.

It's precisely this sort of argument which makes me think 'well maybe we should get rid after all', simply because I see, again and again, some of the most ill-formed and straightforwardly fictitious defences of his reign from people like yourself. And what's worse is that so many of these arguments speak down to people who say 'hey, this guy hasn't done the job he was expected to do this season' as if they were village idiots. Despite the fact that most of the Pro-Pearson brigade - and I could name a few - said 'we'll see in May, if we aren't promoted then I'll join those calling for his head'.

Perhaps some people are just unconditionally unambitious.

Me - I'm happy with us staying with Pearson. Not because we have a thriftily assembled squad, not because he did a good job this year, but because he represents continuity and a steady evolution of the squad. Because he knows these players better than anyone else.

Some say there's no-one better out there - well, that's obviously nonsense. Only the most stubborn of fools would assert that Di Matteo and O'Neill are inferior managers to Pearson. And forget the 'they'd never come here' argument. We attracted one of Europe's most successful managers here three years ago, of course we could get them if our finances were in check. But they aren't, and we can't. So it's Pearson, and I can quite happily live with that. But please, stop pretending that he's done a fantastic job under difficult circumstances, and there's nothing better out there. Because that, put simply, is wrong.

Again Pearson is not the best manager in the world, so of course there the better alternatives out there, better alternatives in the championship, better out of work, better around Europe.

The problem is who would come to us.

If Pearson doesn't come flying out of the blocks at the start of the season, we will see who will come, but it will be another wasted season.

The owners have took a big gamble keeping him with the inconsistent seasons under Pearson, and as much as I don't like it, I really hope there gamble pays off.

Again Pearson is not the best manager in the world, so of course there the better alternatives out there, better alternatives in the championship, better out of work, better around Europe.

The problem is who would come to us.

If Pearson doesn't come flying out of the blocks at the start of the season, we will see who will come, but it will be another wasted season.

The owners have took a big gamble keeping him with the inconsistent seasons under Pearson, and as much as I don't like it, I really hope there gamble pays off.

Good post again Monsey

I'm not saying he's made loads of bad signings

"Leicester city have signed the first £million non league player" is not the sort of record we should be proud of. Fvcking desperate if ask me and very risky... We could have had a 10-25k a week free agent for 1 or 2 years that would have done far more for the club

So what about Morgan, Knockaert and James then? Or are we just selecting certain players again?

... There is not one manager in the World, that has made fantastic signings on a constant basis. Alex Ferguson, for example. Yes he brought Ronaldo, Rooney and Van Nistelrooy, but how many 'poor' signings has he also made? Forlan, Bebe, Tiabi etc.

I will always disagree with these kinds of posts, untill something logical is posted/something we can actually debate. You can't just chose his poor signings to 'back up' your opinion of him, take a look around... Hobbs, Morrison, Wellens, Morgan, James were all Nigel Pearson signings. Cheap Nigel Pearson signings.

It just annoys me personally when people say 'oh Nigel has spent a load'. First of all, he had to because of the (fairly) poor squad he inherited - certain players were not good enough and that needed improving (Bamba, Mills, Peltier, Gallagher etc). However, he hasn't exactly spent alot. Vardy cost £1, James and De Laet were £500,000, Knockaert was undisclosed but I'm sure it wasn't too much.

Only the other day, someone said 'he has spent alot, if not the most, in this division'. Do people forget about the likes of Blackburn (£8million of one player), Cardiff (£10million they spent) as well as Nottingham Forest and maybe even Hull (in fact, yes Hull also because my flatmate supports Hull and has just said they spent about £6million). They all spent more than us.

As for 'failure', yes we did fall from top of the league to 6th, but Nige got us into that position. I agree, we should have probably claimed automatic, but we finished 6th and were literally one penalty away from the play off final. How many times did we lose by two goals? Twice; Barnsley and Watford. And I noticed that out of the top 6 itself, only Watford beat us twice.

I don't think you can really knock Pearson's signings at all. He's brought some real quality to the team.

Where he falls down for me is his ability to get the team playing for 90 minutes of 46 matches home and away. One of the biggest features of this season has been Jekyll and Hyde performances not just in certain runs but within single games. The play off matches are a prime example. Unplayable for the first half hour of each, then virtually a different team for the last hour.

Keeping Pearson is a massive gamble, but replacing him is equally so. I wouldn't like to be the one having to make that decision.

Just imagine it 'Roy Keanes Leicester City' doesn't give you that feeling in your stomach?

That feeling of dread? :D

Archived