Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
80footgiraffe

Transfer Targets Looking Promising?

upson was a class act a few years ago,  but he's past his prime, we don't need another slow center back looking for a payday.

Dan posted this in the other thread, but I'll just highlight it again...

Brighton's 18 games without Upson... Conceded 25

And with... Conceded 13

Yeah, it could be a coincidence, however I think Upson would give us solid experience, even if its just for one year.

Dan posted this in the other thread, but I'll just highlight it again...

Brighton's 18 games without Upson... Conceded 25

And with... Conceded 13

Yeah, it could be a coincidence, however I think Upson would give us solid experience, even if its just for one year.

not sure where Dan got his figures from.

upson played 18 games for brighton where they did indeed only concede 13 goals, but that means they had 28 games without him not 18, and they conceded 30 (just league games).

so with upson 13/18 = 0.72 goals per game conceded

without upson 30/28 = 1.07 goals per game conceded.

so 1/3 of a goal per game improvement, not earthshattering, nor the only factor (quality of opposition, who else joined them in january xfer window, etc), nor  a large enough sample for sensible comparison since he only played 39% of their league games.

not sure where Dan got his figures from.

upson played 18 games for brighton where they did indeed only concede 13 goals, but that means they had 28 games without him not 18, and they conceded 30 (just league games).

so with upson 13/18 = 0.72 goals per game conceded

without upson 30/28 = 1.07 goals per game conceded.

so 1/3 of a goal per game improvement, not earthshattering, nor the only factor (quality of opposition, who else joined them in january xfer window, etc), nor  a large enough sample for sensible comparison since he only played 39% of their league games.

Reducing anything by a third is actually really impressive.

The fact was Brighton has one of the best defences last year, yet Upson came in and gave it a huge boost this year.

The core of the team is in place--Leicester don't need to make a bunch of signings to be considered a contender next season.

We'd be considered a contender by everyone apart from our fans and some sour Forest cvnts even if we had no players at all.

Depends what you mean by a bunch though, we do have a core you're right but besides that it's slim pickings. We need at least 4 first team players to come in IMO before we can be taken seriously.

Bringing in 'squad players' isn't going to cut it, what we need to do is relegate some of the current lot (Dyer, Konchesky, De Laet) to squad players by replacing them with first team quality.

well we hounded the last Frenchman out (totally unjustly) who missed a pen and he was a decent player. I'm still really pissed off the way Kermit was treated. Anyway, Knocky has the ability to be real class. He'd always be in my first team.

Then you've got your priorities wrong. You should be pissed off about how we were robbed by the officials and then by our own player, and 3 years later we've still not made up for it.

Our fans hating on some french cvnt who never gave a crap whether we went up or not should be way down the list on the things you are pissed off about.

Reducing anything by a third is actually really impressive.

The fact was Brighton has one of the best defences last year, yet Upson came in and gave it a huge boost this year.

upson came in, and so did some other players. you can't say it's down to one man. what if they  brought in a defensive mid that  broke up plays and reduced the number of opposition shots??

Like i say, he was class a few years ago, but at 34 he's on the gentle slope downards and probably not worth the money.

upson came in, and so did some other players. you can't say it's down to one man. what if they brought in a defensive mid that broke up plays and reduced the number of opposition shots??

Like i say, he was class a few years ago, but at 34 he's on the gentle slope downards and probably not worth the money.

But he was quality last year and lets face it our best defences have been with that sort of player at the back. Wes organises the right, matty the left. Will work like a charm. Plus him and wes are both strong headerers, it would give us a lot against the nasty teams.

He only needs to perform for a year, I'm sure he can do that at this level for a while yet. Powell played longer, so did nobby! And Bruno! All some of our best defenders in recent years.

With the likes of James Perch from Newcastle, Matty Upsom from Stoke and Guly do Prado from Southampton, are our targets looking promising? Or prem rejects?

I don't think you could pick 3 more uninspiring players than the three listed above!

I don't think you could pick 3 more uninspiring players than the three listed above!

Upson is inspiring. 

Guly was flaming decent in the Championship, when Southampton went up, him, Lallana and Lambert were banging them in.

He was just pants in the Prem.

Just hope this brings home what our levels of expectation should be.

If anyone on here 'expects' promotion, considering the fact QPR are not exactly holding a fire sale, whilst reading and wigan will not either, as well as our lack of action in the transfer market, then please dont join any match thread next season.

Grewks get a grip fella, the official transfer window doesn't open until 1st July.

Archived