Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

34 of these in all. I couldn't get 19 and 30. See what you think...

I got the same as you lol 

Although, if in a quiz against others, I'd have guessed 30 as You Know My Name Look Up My Number.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I got the same as you lol 

Although, if in a quiz against others, I'd have guessed 30 as You Know My Name Look Up My Number.

They're easier I think because they feature the start of the songs and aren't plucked from the middle. 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2021 at 15:21, Dr Marco said:

Been starting to watch this serie

Halfway through it and it's great stuff

I binged on this last night. Brilliant, I really enjoyed it. 

With McCartney an executive producer I guess they would be favourable, but I really appreciated the breakdown of tracks and St Paul's killer basslines! 

• Like 2

On 26/12/2021 at 21:15, Plastik Man said:

I binged on this last night. Brilliant, I really enjoyed it. 

With McCartney an executive producer I guess they would be favourable, but I really appreciated the breakdown of tracks and St Paul's killer basslines! 

Agree, it's a great watch but, only on hulu? I watched it on Disney + just before Christmas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

finally got the time to watch the "Get Back" documentary

well worth the wait, fantastic stuff

Just finished rewatching it. Outstanding.

I'll be watching it again too, I'm sure.

I bet the DVD/Blu-ray when it's released, will have even more footage.

Santa also bought me the accompanying book.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He said he'd only ever perform a cover of it if the end of the world beckoned :ph34r:

And accompanied by one of the most talented rock musicians of his era...

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Saw this on YouTube yesterday. 

McCartney started his tour and for I've Got A Feeling he lets Lennon's voice take over :blush:

Brilliant.

Here's the song in full. Wonderful...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned in the vinyl thread, I find it astonishing that the DVD/Blu-Ray release of the Get Back film is an exact release of the Disney+ series. In other words, no extras.

Surely one thing that it was crying out for, was an unedited version of the rooftop gig, with no cut aways to the street and Apple reception?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

Revolver Reissue coming up!

I can't remember which now, but I listened to an interview with a major band from America in the 60s, who recalled that they first heard Tomorrow Never Knows being played as they walked past a store.

They had heard nothing like it and went in to ask who it was.

Their reaction after being told was that the rest of us might as well give up. 'How can we compete with that?'

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I can't remember which now, but I listened to an interview with a major band from America in the 60s, who recalled that they first heard Tomorrow Never Knows being played as they walked past a store.

They had heard nothing like it and went in to ask who it was.

Their reaction after being told was that the rest of us might as well give up. 'How can we compete with that?'

And it still wasn't as Lennon had intended it. He wanted to sound like he shouting from a distant mountain top backed by a hundred chanting Buddhist monks. He even suggested being suspended by a rope tied around his ankles and fixed to the ceiling of Studio 2 so he could swing back and forth during the vocal. In the end, they dismantled a Hammond organ and fed the vocal through the revolving Leslie cabinet instead, which is where the continued use of the effect right up to Abbey Road originated from. 

55 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I believe at the time of the Taxman song they were paying tax at a marginal rate 95%  hence the “1 for you, 19 for me” line lol

19 shillings and sixpence out of every pound which infuriated Harrison when he discovered it. What better example of the two irreconcilable contradictory sides to the man - the tightfisted miser and the spiritual non-materialistic teachings of Hare Krishna that he began to immerse himself in during this period. Lennon actually completed the Taxman lyrics for him and took credit for their acerbic nature, whilst McCartney handled the guitar solo, which George couldn't complete either, but was delighted with the result. Despite this, from Rubber Soul, the year before, Harrison had grown enormously as a songwriter matching and arguably surpassing Lennon and McCartney in terms of quality by the end of the decade and the break up of the Beatles. . 

Edited by Line-X

10 minutes ago, Line-X said:

And it still wasn't as Lennon had intended it. He wanted to sound like he shouting from a distant mountain top backed by a hundred chanting Buddhist monks. He even suggested being suspended by a rope tied around his ankles and fixed to the ceiling of Studio 2 so he could swing back and forth during the vocal. In the end, they dismantled a Hammond organ and fed the vocal through the revolving Leslie cabinet instead, which is where the continued use of the effect right up to Abbey Road originated from. 

Indeed.

Furthermore, George Martin recalled how John Lennon would often have difficulties expressing what he was after. Often using abstract terms which made sense to him but not necessarily to the other Beatles and Martin

One example being when John said he wanted a track to 'Sound like an orange'

George Martin also once recalled how he was discussing their work together with John, shortly before his death. John was quite dismissive of a lot of their work, stating he wish much of it had been done differently.

George responded by saying, 'Ah, come on John, we did some great stuff. What about Strawberry Fields Forever.

'Especially, Strawberry Fields Forever' , John replied.

Clearly, nothing could quite match what he felt/wanted inside, despite the best effort of the others including , Geoff Emerick and other technical staff at Abbey Road.

7 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Indeed.

Furthermore, George Martin recalled how John Lennon would often have difficulties expressing what he was after. Often using abstract terms which made sense to him but not necessarily to the other Beatles and Martin

George Martin also once recalled how he was discussing their work together with John, shortly before his death. John was quite dismissive of a lot of their work, stating he wish much of it had been done differently.

George responded by saying, 'Ah, come on John, we did some great stuff. What about Strawberry Fields Forever.

'Especially, Strawberry Fields Forever' , John replied.

Clearly, nothing could quite match what he felt/wanted inside, despite the best effort of the others including , Geoff Emerick and other technical staff at Abbey Road.

I think Strawberry Fields Forever was one of the few he expressed real satisfaction with - particularly the legendary spliced edit. 

8 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Can't for the life of me think why...

79765_ver1538057056.gif.aef903dc99871ab4d5e55405ebd0f25e.gif