Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

@Fox92

Not sure if youve seen this, but  i found it really interesting breakdown on the tech side of the recordings etc.

https://andrewhickey.info/page/3/?s=beatles

Mono was the priority and definitive statement before 1968, the stereo mixes having less attention lavished on them than the mono ones, largely because it was easier to facilitate the stereo mix after having done the mono. Geoff Emerick was always adamant up until his recent passing away that the original mono mixes are a more faithful and authentic way of listening to the Beatles back catalogue than stereo. the original Beatles mixes were designed for mono playback. The stereos that we all know and love were done very, but very quickly. Again, prior to '68 the band was never actually present when the stereo mixes were made.

Saying that, I love the Giles Martin stereo remixing and mastering of Abbey Road and The White Album. 

• Like 2

With my reintroduction to Vinyl I have pulled out all my old Beatles albums and making my way through them.. such a delight.... UNTIL I got to Yellow Submarine.

I said to the delightful Mrs Oz, "lets listen to this, I dont even remember really listening to it back in the day"... Well....

Nan - Imgflip

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

With my reintroduction to Vinyl I have pulled out all my old Beatles albums and making my way through them.. such a delight.... UNTIL I got to Yellow Submarine.

I said to the delightful Mrs Oz, "lets listen to this, I dont even remember really listening to it back in the day"... Well....

Nan - Imgflip

Not their best but has ' Hey Bulldog ' on it so not all bad :D

Edited by Soup
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Nan - Imgflip

Their albums are unreal, particularly the run of Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt Peppers. 

I couldn't imagine hearing Tomorrow Never Knows for the first ever time in 1966! And Strawberry Fields Forever in 1967! Both songs way ahead of time.

1 hour ago, Soup said:

Not their best but has ' Hey Bulldog ' on it so not all bad :D

One of their most underrated songs imo.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 16:07, ozleicester said:

Nan - Imgflip

Haha! It's not as good as the others but Hey Bulldog, and It's all too much are wicked. also have a soft spot for all together now :whistle:

• Like 2

Love this quote. "They were so famous they'd almost taken on personalities like comic-strip characters".

I couldn't image being around in the 60's with how big they were. I haven't experienced anything like it in my lifetime, I think only Michael Jackson comes close in terms of being that big.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

https://youtu.be/UocEGvQ10OE

Snippet of the Peter Jackson film. I can't bloody wait.:)

Lord of the Ringos

15 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Just saw the film clip tweeted on McCartney's timeline.

Goosebumps.

August 2021 seems a VERY long way away.

I have no health conditions I'm aware of, but I'm slightly concerned I may be dead by then.

This taster smacks of sugarcoated revisionism. The clip belies the tension and strained relationships within a band that was about to experience one of the most acrimonious splits in music history. Lennon referred to the sessions as "hell" - particularly at Twickenham film studios, Harrison opined - "It wasn't very much fun. Everyone was fed up and everyone wanted to leave the band. Although we salvaged it and we did some good tracks, it generally was done in a depression. It was done in a trough."

We get it. he original and lethargic fly on the wall 'Let it Be' film overplayed dour mood in the studio but please don't hit us over the head with an onslaught of the frivolous jocular Beatles constantly hamming it up for the cameras - I don't think that is accurate either. More so it's tiresome and insincere. There is clearly an accurate middleground. If Peter's sole mission is correcting and cherry picking history and bending over backwards to show how "happy" everyone was and appeasing Sir Paul in the process, then "brother you can count me out".

Incredible quality footage though - beautifully digitally restored. Similar techniques to 'They Shall Not Grow Old'. Reminds me of the 70mm hours of archived film used for the Apollo 11 movie. Incredible how much Michael Lindsay-Hogg actually shot. 55 hours of never-before-seen footage and 140 hours of audio - actually, brother you can count me in. Just give us the entire rooftop concert with previously unseen angles. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just posted this on 60snthread, unaware this thread existed..

First time visitor ntonthis thread. 

Been listening to Abbey Road this on youtube recently for the first time. Insane stuff. Music and production that'd still easily cut it today. 

Had never previously been aware of the track 'she's so heavy'. What an outtro. Takes you to another place!

Edited by Paninistickers
Just reposted on Beatles thread
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Been listening to Abbey Road this on youtube recently for the first time. Insane stuff. Music and production that'd still easily cut it today. 

Had never previously been aware of the track 'she's so heavy'. What an outtro. Takes you to another place!

This track was the first and last to be worked on for the album over a period of six months. Most of the backing was recorded at Trident Studios in the West End which the Beatles had started using in 1968 because it had eight track capability and Abbey Road at that time did not (it was the first eight track studio in the world). Otherwise, the LP was recorded and mixed at Abbey Road on the first transistorised desk built by EMI – The TG12345. The sound of Abbey Road had a smoother more polished sound, unlike any of the previous albums that were recorded on the all valve REDD desks. Initially there were problems recreating the drum and guitar sound and the warm harmonic that the old valve desk that they were familiar with allowed the Beatles to obtain. 

Anyway, the sessions for 'I Want You She's So Heavy' began at Trident on Wardour Street, Soho The bulk of the backing was completed in an overnight session on February 22, 1969. Back then this was much more of a residential area - although even today there are flats and apartments (the former Marquee Club having been converted into the latter - bizarrely, it has a blue plaque in memory of Keith Moon outside). The Deluxe reissue (2019) reveals that with the amps turned up high, the band received complaints from neighbours, irately storming into the studio. Surprisingly, Lennon agreed to turn it down, after one more take. He tells the band, “The loud one — last go. Last chance to be loud!”. As Giles Martin commented (son of George who remixed and remastered the 2019 version), “It’s so funny, he’s so polite. He should have said, ‘**** off, we’re the Beatles!’”

Imagine though, going to work the next day and complaining that some noisy neighbours had kept you awake, so had to pay them a visit - some band called The Beatles. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2021 at 19:59, Paninistickers said:

One of my absolute favourite songs ever, Billy Preston goes a bit mental on the organ and I love it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

One of my absolute favourite songs ever, Billy Preston goes a bit mental on the organ and I love it.

With the exception of 'Helter Skelter', 'Revolution" and possibly 'It's All Too Much' and the three way guitar battle on 'The End', probably the heaviest track they ever recorded. Lennon wanted it to finish the album, but it was agreed that it would wind up side two. The abrupt ending was achieved by quite literally snipping the tape. John wanted to give the impression that the riff was infinite and went on into eternity. Some believe, if you visit Trident studios you can still hear it playing.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

With the exception of 'Helter Skelter', 'Revolution" and possibly 'It's All Too Much' and the three way guitar battle on 'The End', probably the heaviest track they ever recorded. Lennon wanted it to finish the album, but it was agreed that it would wind up side two. The abrupt ending was achieved by quite literally snipping the tape. John wanted to give the impression that the riff was infinite and went on into eternity. Some believe, if you visit Trident studios you can still hear it playing.  :ph34r:

Straight into 'Here Comes the Sun' too, just perfect.

I'm glad it didn't finish the album, the medley followed by 'Her Majesty' is just brilliant!

• Like 2