Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

• 1 month later...
On 09/09/2022 at 07:17, Dr Marco said:

Revolver Reissue coming up!

I know the bass line of Taxman is good, as later used by the Jam, but the guitar solo (which I believe McCartney plays) is actually one of my favourites although it's over fairly quick.

I would love to get the £150 (or whatever price it is) reissue on record, with all the remixes on, but it's just to expensive for me to justify.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.thelittletheatre.co.uk/whats-on/the-george-harrison-project/?fbclid=IwAR0eyIIa3f9Mn_UHkeXXyvyXwYxpwYiF7wW1WUybs31X5wBYNpgqi_DCaGo

thelittletheatre.

The George Harrison Project

Synopsis

Not to be missed!

The UK’s leading live music tribute to George Harrison, performing his best-loved hits from The Beatles, his solo career and The Traveling Wilburys.

Here comes the perfect tribute to a Beatles legend in the year that celebrates George’s 80th Birthday!

After the Liverpudlian four-piece called time on Beatlemania Harrison, who died in 2001, enjoyed a successful solo career, releasing 12 studio albums, including the classic triple album All Things Must Pass, Living In The Material World, Cloud Nine and Brainwashed.

He also formed the supergroup The Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty.

During this show, these talented musicians perform some of George Harrison’s best-known tracks, including My Sweet Lord, Got My Mind Set On You, Give Me Love, What Is Life, If I Needed Someone, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes The Sun, Handle With Care, All Things Must Pass, Blow Away, End Of The Line, Cheer Down, and many more!

Ticket information

All Tickets – £20

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Not my favourite band but eveyone who loves music needs to listen to

their albums and listen to them retrospectively just to appreciate what they produced.

An interview with former Depeche Mode member Alan Wilder - my idol - recounts how it is deemed “cool” to dislike The Beatles, but everybody would

at least like one song by them.  Probably true.

• Like 2

Here we go

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-10-26/could-the-beatles-be-teasing-final-song

Exclusive footage given to ITV News Granada Reports by Universal Music, shows images of a cassette tape projected onto iconic Beatles sites like Strawberry Field, Penny Lane and even John Lennon's childhood home in Woolton.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I like it, better than I expected. Listened to it on Spotify just now. I have bought the black vinyl version, due for release tomorrow.

Agreed a lot better than I expected it to be. Held off listening till it came through the post this morning and already love it. 

• Like 1

'Real Love' in its original demo form was, if you take the version used in the 'Imagine' docufilm, a better, more complete song than the scratchy demos of 'Free As A Bird' or 'Now and Then'. In fact, I'd have been more interested to see what someone (though not necessarily The Beatles) could have done with his edgier, cleaner-sounding demos like 'She's A Friend of Dorothy's' or 'Serve Yourself'.

But the final Beatles versions of both 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love' were vastly inferior, surely, to 'Now and Then'. I was ready to be bitterly disappointed, as I was in 1995 and have been by countless other comeback songs, but I think they've made a fine record, even if you strip away the backstory. It's a personal response, obviously, but I reckon it's hard not to let expectations run wild with such a high-profile release. When they, and all the fanfare, fall away, you're left with something very decent.

Edited by inckley fox
I used the word 'thing' about 20 times.

40 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

But the final Beatles versions of both 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love' were vastly inferior, surely, to 'Now and Then'.

Not even close. They were both orders of magnitude better songs, and both sounded fantastically produced. 

Now & Then is technically good what they've been able to do with it, but it's nowhere near as good a listen. Real Love was one of their best singles in their catalogue. The new one sounds like what it is, a rough B-side that was rightfully abandoned once before by McCartney. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Not even close. They were both orders of magnitude better songs, and both sounded fantastically produced. 

Now & Then is technically good what they've been able to do with it, but it's nowhere near as good a listen. Real Love was one of their best singles in their catalogue. The new one sounds like what it is, a rough B-side that was rightfully abandoned once before by McCartney. 

You've got to be kidding me. 'Real Love', as fond as I am of it, was certainly not one of the strongest songs in either The Beatles' or Lennon's back catalogues.

As for the production of 'Real Love', well, the guitar part is a bit gimmicky (e.g. the flourishes which follow 'from this moment on I know' and 'exactly where my life will go'), and the voice carries the piano from the demo whenever it appears, meaning there are two pianos incongruously pitched against each other whenever Lennon opens his mouth. The drums are proper son-of-a-bricklayer stuff.

The source material was strong and had potential, but they didn't do it justice at the time. Some of this could be fixed now, but 'Now and Then' is, as it stands, a more carefully rendered, and way better-produced cut. In its final state, it's a league or two above those 90s offerings.

Its reception, starkly contrasted with the reviews for the 1995/6 tracks, reflects that fairly faithfully in my opinion (without wanting to go down the 'everyone says it's better so they must be right!' path). I'm hard to please when it comes to music, but they've totally nailed the epilogue to the most incredible body of work that popular music has ever seen.

• Like 2