Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

Seeing George Martin on that documentary reminded me of an old story from about 20 years ago.

The wife used to work at the BRIT school for performing arts in London as a dance teacher (she taught Amy Winehouse among others) and she came home from work one day as normal.

I asked her how her day was and she said "I spent all day attending a board of governors meeting. It was pretty boring but I was sat next to an old fella all day and we had a good laugh together just generally taking the piss out of proceedings".

"Oh yea" I said, "who was the old fella?" 

"Not sure" says the wife, "but I think he used to have something to do with the Beatles..."

:rolleyes:

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I love how the Beatles discography is so vast and of such quality, you can discover one you've never heard before and instantly love it, I Should Have Known Better being the most recent example for me.

Their albums were consistently quality. Some album tracks could have easily been singles. 

I'm not massively into early 60s stuff (of many bands as I'm not one for easy listening love type songs) but anything past '64 is quality, perhaps with the exception of Beatles For Sale and Yellow Submarine (although the latter is more of a soundtrack album).

A Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be are all superb albums and among the greatest of all time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/03/2021 at 04:25, Fox92 said:

Oh, and while we're on topic, I listened to Revolver recently.

Just listened to revolver ON VINYL for the first time in 30+? years.

Listening, just me in the lounge on a Sunday morning and listening LOUD, not ear splitting, just enough that its surrounding me and filling the room.

God... just stunning

I used to wonder when people talked about CD's and MP3's "compressing and dulling the music.. but i heard it on here, so much sound and music that ive been missing. :)

• Like 2

On 19/02/2021 at 04:57, Dr Marco said:

lol back in the late 80s they discovered/ fixed this (The Shea Stadium concert) up and the same with the Let it Be or maybe white album sessions? and remastered the Help and Hard Days night films, my wife (then girlfriend) and I went to a cinema and watched an "all night Beatles Marathon" which ran for about 7 hours lol

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I have been listening to the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Ultimate release.

One track is a stripped down, vocal only version of Mother.

The raw power and emotion in his voice is spine tingling.

He really got it all out on his debut solo album didn't he? Mother is so moving.

Other songs like Isolation, Working class hero and God are spectacularly brutal. I think I prefer it to the Imagine album, which has classics but some fluff too.

The lyrics to God, gets me every time.

God is a concept
By which we measure our pain
I'll say it again
God is a concept
By which we measure our pain
Yeah, pain, yeah
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I Ching
I don't believe in the Bible
I don't believe in tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in yoga
I don't believe in kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me
Yoko and me
And that's reality
The dream is over
What can I say?
The dream is over
Yesterday
I was the dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the walrus
But now I'm John
And so, dear friends
You'll just have to carry on
The dream is over
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

He really got it all out on his debut solo album didn't he? Mother is so moving.

Other songs like Isolation, Working class hero and God are spectacularly brutal. I think I prefer it to the Imagine album, which has classics but some fluff too.

The lyrics to God, gets me every time.

It's about dispelling the myths, purging the pain of his upbringing and shedding all his baggage as a Beatle. The entire raw feel of the album owes itself to Arthur Janov's Primal Scream therapy. Lennon read the book (The Primal Scream: Primal Therapy, The Cure for Neurosis),which inspired the album - he then underwent four months or treatment with Janov. 

“In the therapy you really feel every painful moment of your life - it's excruciating, you are forced to realize that your pain, the kind that makes you wake up afraid with your heart pounding, is really yours and not the result of somebody up in the sky.”

Read any lauding review of 'John Lennon: Plastic Ono Band' and it'll say that Lennon’s anguished, tortured vocals were a direct result of Janov’s influence. But that simplistic description short-changes the psychological spelunking he underwent at the time and the ravaging withdrawal from heroin that brought Plastic Ono Band to life. It also ignores primal therapy’s involved and highly questionable history.

The break up of the Beatles was so acrimonious together with the protracted legalities that it drove McCartney into temporary reclusiveness, depression and heavy drinking in Scotland. Lennon was supposedly outwardly the strong personality, the hard cold exterior, so responded with anger - inside he was arguably the most sensitive and vulnerable. 

Meanwhile, George who was shagging Ringo's missus, couldn't wait for it all to be over and get the hell out, whilst Ringo was too preoccupied with becoming a Hollywood socialite and getting pissed on Peter Sellers' Monaco moored yacht.  

• 4 weeks later...

Well, as a massive Beatles fan I, and everyone else with more than a passing interest,  should be delighted to learn that the much anticipated Peter Jackson Film Get Back, is no longer 'just' 2  hours long, it'll be 6.

However, no longer a cinema release but a 3 part 'mini series on TV.

Jackson has taken the Disney 'shilling' and they will screen it.

My fear is it'll be a case of more is less. I've seen, even collected, bootlegs of those sessions and despite my never ending fascination, there is an awful lot of tedious, really uninteresting footage, including quiet bit of non Beatles scenes of Yoko singing and also painting.

Hopefully the originally planned film will be available on blu-ray.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2021 at 21:30, Free Falling Foxes said:

I have been listening to the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Ultimate release.

One track is a stripped down, vocal only version of Mother.

The raw power and emotion in his voice is spine tingling.

Always loved Lennon's voice as it was so raw and the Plastic Ono Band album really captured that.

'Mother', 'God', 'Well Well Well', 'Working Class Hero'... all superb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just listening to BBC Sounds as McCartney is talking through some of his songs he's written. I haven't heard him talk about Jane Asher too either. He's obviously reading from his new book.

Also, as I was at the game last night, I haven't seen the first installment of Let It Be so gonna watch it tonight and dead excited for that!

They've always been a band I've wanted to love. I've never given their music a massive chance but there are a fair few songs Iof theirs I like. Just never been captivated by them like I have been by bands such as The Smiths 

What's the one album of theirs I should start with?