Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Callabinho

Best player you have ever seen play against Leicester.

In recent years, although not in person, I'd say Bergkamp.

Only seen highlights of his performance at Filbert Street and it's still outstanding how he managed to read the ball and maintain such an ease at controlling the ball.

Shearer for that hat-trick in 15 minutes when I thought we were home and dry.

But the obvious one was Bergkamp.

Dyer away at Swansea too, everything went though him and we just couldn't cope.

I agree with Ruud Van Nistelrooy, his hattrick was incredible. 

Dennis Bergkamp would be up there, one of my favourite players ever, still the greatest Premier League player in my opinion.

Ronaldinho, Cocu and most of that Barcelona team in 03/04 as well.

Didn't Cocu get sent off real early?

Andy Gray.

Whenever he plays us he always scores. Yes, he doesn't have the ability of shearer, bergkamp, van nistelrooy etc...but i cannot remember watching them play as i was only young, but Andy Gray always seems to have an impact against us.

Whether it was for Burnley, Barnsley etc...

Best Single performance - Juan Mata

It was amazing to watch him play against us for just 45 mins in the cup. Never gave it away, and pretty much every pass led to a goal, awesome awesome player. I even stood and applauded after some of him touches/play which got me a lot of dirty looks from fellow city fans. Should be already considered a 'great' in my opinion, after scoring 20 and assisting 20 in one season and he isn't even a striker.

Another superb player against us, going back a bit, was Glenn Hoddle. Like Bergkamp, you could just tell he was class. So much time on the ball, so much ease and precision with his passing.

Silky smooth player, the likes of which come around rarely.

Finally, Andy Cole on that fateful day up in Geordieland was literally unplayable. Every fookin time he got the ball, bang! and in went another goal.

Zola ruined many a game for us with Chelsea.

I remember in our relegation season of 2001/2002, we played a blinder, were 2-1 up and completely playing above our usual fare.

Then Zola curls in a beauty of a free-kick and our heads just dropped in one moment. Pure class.

Zola ruined many a game for us with Chelsea.

I remember in our relegation season of 2001/2002, we played a blinder, were 2-1 up and completely playing above our usual fare.

Then Zola curls in a beauty of a free-kick and our heads just dropped in one moment. Pure class.

I think the Chelsea fans recently rated Zola as their best ever player?

I think the Chelsea fans recently rated Zola as their best ever player?

He was great for them when they weren't the force they are now.

Very likeable man too, shame the same supporters now worship John Terry.

Dennis Law for me, he just laughed at us, he got penalized for some small incident and got a wagging from the ref and the city fans gave him some stick, with in minutes he got the ball ran round 2 or 3 of our players and put the ball in the back of our net, ill show you lot he said and he did, he terrorized us, circa 1959.

Bergkamp and Ruud. 

I remember being a kid when we played United and van Nistelrooy came off the bench and had a volley that flew just past the post. I had never seen a ball move so fast before. 

As has been said, Dennis Bergkamp. Incredible performance, if that hat-trick had came against United or someone alike it would be talked about so very much more.

As for the ones saying Ronaldo, I don't think he was even the best player on the pitch that game. Xabi Alonso was incredible, yes it was a friendly, but I've never seen such a composed and complete midfielder.

I have just been watching loads of compilation videos, got me thinking who do we think is the best player ever to play against us, as in performance on the day.

For me it's Ruud Van Nistelrooy, he absolutely destroyed us in the 02/03 season scoring a stunning hat-trick, leaving Elliott and Sinclair on their arses!

A couple of games games spring to mind when we were in the prem :

Gazza for Spurs - and at Filbo, maybe around 1991? (p*ssed but untouchable) 

Giggs - (no one could get near enough to catch him - scored twice I think?), circa 2002 at the Walkers.

One of the best teams I ever saw was the young Red Star Belgrade side, Uefa Cup 2000 at the Walkers - dark, cold midweek game with red flares and smoke so thick Tim Flowers didn't see the 30 yard thunderbolt that nearly bust the net,

I saw Lev Yashin play for Moscow Dynamo in a friendly in 1970, he is reputedly the best goalkeeper in the history of the game.

It was his last season so he wasn't in his prime and maybe that doesn't count. Nice to say I saw him play though.

I remember Juninho for M'boro being outstanding in the first half of our home league game which lead to O'Niell putting Grayson on him for the second half following him everywhere. When he repeated the trick in the League cup final(s) with Kamaark marking him you remembered it had stemmed from that first half performance in the league and the decision to do something about it.

Also Gullit in a friendly v Chelsea, he played on the right and literally played exhibition stuff, poor Whitlow had twisted blood by the end. 

For that Boro game the night before we were staying in the Holiday Inn in Leicester where many of our players would stay too and the fire alarm went off several times causing the building to be evacuated each time, not sure if that played a part in us looking half a sleep that game think they went 0-3 up and finished 1-3?

Juninho in that first half when boro did us 3 1 at home the most I've seen one single player influence a game. He was the equivalent of maradona in the Argie team from italia 90, surrounded by dross players apart from their magnificent centre half of course ;)

When we played Madrid a couple of seasons ago, Sergio Ramos was out of this world. He just read everything, was fast, strong and brilliant in the air.

But it just has to be Bergkamp. He was on a completely different level to anyone i've ever seen live.

Agree with this. He was outstanding that day.

It's a shame some of the younger fans weren't around when these players were, Arsenal were a phenomenal side back then, Viera was untouchable in CM and the combination of Bergkamp and Henry was breathtaking.

It also speaks volumes about us too! We could hold our own against anybody in that era! Bergkamp scored a hat-trick like that, yet we still managed to snatch a point!

Archived