Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stockyfox

Another clean sheet! Er..........

Have to agree with stockyfox, with the opposition we've had bar yesterday, we should have been netting st least 3 times a game, I know its only pre season but what's wrong with getting in good habits early.

I don't think there's a quota for Championship teams as far as the goalscoring record in pre-season is concerned.

Plenty of other teams in our division failed to win and/or failed to score on more than one occasion during the summer break - are they all facing a crisis of unheard proportions, too?

This is what happens when you have Nugent, Vardy and Waghorn up front. I'm not banging on about it yet, but I will, because the dry spells will come and they'll remain.

Nugent was out for three out of the four test matches.

I give you Vardy, looked absolutely clueless with the ball at his feet.

Waghorn put in a lot of effort, I wouldn't rule him out scoring more than just a couple next season - hopefully, he'll finally live up to his price tag.

And then there's always Chris Wood...

With the lack of creativity from midfield and no cutting edge up front I just can't see where the goals are coming from. Hope I'm wrong but can only see defeat at Middlesbrough next Saturday. If I was a betting man I'd be having a couple of quid on 2-0 to Boro. Post match comments 'Pearson takes positives from defeat and is happy with application of players'.

With so much attention having been given to the defensive set-up, it seems that there has not been quite the same focus on the attack strategy. Our approach play can be superb but so much of it falls down with the final pass / cross. It's as if the brain shuts off as the player enters the area. There is a rush of blood, a moment of panic and a wild stab at the ball which more often than not, flies over the bar or is well wide of the post!

Can we find another Tony Cottee? - goal-poacher extraordinaire! I don't really mind how many the opposition score........so long as we score at least one more than them! 

I don't want a season littered with 0-0 draws.

Manchester united have lost 2 of their 4 games against opposition no better than ours.

In fact, they perform dreadfully every pre-season, yet they still are the most successful and feared side in the country.

Pre-season fixtures mean absolutely nothing. Remember the year newcastle were in the championship? They lost 6-1 to leyton orient pre-season, but they got promoted.

Manchester united have lost 2 of their 4 games against opposition no better than ours.

In fact, they perform dreadfully every pre-season, yet they still are the most successful and feared side in the country.

Pre-season fixtures mean absolutely nothing. Remember the year newcastle were in the championship? They lost 6-1 to leyton orient pre-season, but they got promoted.

I agree. I think it's pointless trying to over-think the results of friendly matches. Our strongest 11 has pace, the best keeper in the league, the best centre back in the league, one of the most talented wingers in the league, two proven goal scorers, two very quick full backs, and a conference striker who I reckon might surprise a few people this season. 

I feel that foxestalk seems to make work for idle thumbs - wait till the season actually starts before getting analytical!! 

I know our side is far from perfect, but goals are not something I'm worried about. I think we were the third top scorers in the league last season and between them, Wood and Nugent got the best part of 40 goals in the Championship. So, no, not particularly worried on that score.

I really don't understand why people put so much emphasis on what happens pre season. Some years we've spanked teams preseason and been shit in the league, other years we're been shit and done well. Last season we lost to bloody Shewsbury!

I'm more worried about the 7/8 competitive games we were terrible in at the back end of last season. Just as I'll be more worried if we perform poorly in the first 7/8 games of the season.

I'm more worried about the 7/8 competitive games we were terrible in at the back end of last season. Just as I'll be more worried if we perform poorly in the first 7/8 games of the season

Precisely, Babylon. It's the memory of last season's dip in form coupled with the fervent hope that we make the same kind of start as we did last season that  prompted my opening post to this thread.

Precisely, Babylon. It's the memory of last season's dip in form coupled with the fervent hope that we make the same kind of start as we did last season that  prompted my opening post to this thread.

We actually made a bad start last year results wise, performances weren't too bad though. I have looked over Pearsons seasons here and at other clubs and he quite often has a poor first 4/5 games and then the teams go on a good run and get themselves back into a decent position.

This year I think we could suffer from a playoff hangover and I wouldn't be surprised to see that go on a bit longer, just as Readings did. Whether he'll see it out will remain to be seen.

We actually made a bad start last year results wise, performances weren't too bad though. ..

After the match at Blackburn early last season, I was the only City fan on the packed bus going back to the station. The comments the Blackburn fans made were 'How on earth did you manage to lose that?', 'That's the luckiest 3 points we will get', 'Can't believe we (Blackburn) were so out played and we still won'. 

After the match at Blackburn early last season, I was the only City fan on the packed bus going back to the station. The comments the Blackburn fans made were 'How on earth did you manage to lose that?', 'That's the luckiest 3 points we will get', 'Can't believe we (Blackburn) were so out played and we still won'. 

I know, they still say we were the best team they faced all year.

We actually made a bad start last year results wise, performances weren't too bad though. I have looked over Pearsons seasons here and at other clubs and he quite often has a poor first 4/5 games and then the teams go on a good run and get themselves back into a decent position.

This year I think we could suffer from a playoff hangover and I wouldn't be surprised to see that go on a bit longer, just as Readings did. Whether he'll see it out will remain to be seen.

In 2009/10 we picked up 8 points from the first five (including trips to early favourites Ipswich and Sheffield United) and weren't lower than 10th, in the top 8 from October.

He desperately needs a good start, more than ever this season.

Archived