Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Mercury Prize shortlist

Arctic Monkeys - AM

David Bowie - The Next Day

Disclosure - Settle

Foals - Holy Fire

Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg

James Blake - Overgrown

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle

Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon

Rudimental - Home

Savages - Silence Yourself

Villagers - Awayland

---

What are your favourites? Push comes to shove, either Disclosure or Jon Hopkins for me, although I like the Foals and Arctic Monkeys ones too. Haven't heard many of the others.

I don't get how AM can make the short list with an album that has been out for a massive 2days.

Quite often I am blown away by an album on the first few listens but to me the secret to a great album is one that you can go back to weeks, months etc after the release and it still hits you like the first time you heard it

All seems a bit obvious like they were added before they had even heard the album to me

I don't think there is one stand out album amongst them but then I don't think there has been from anyone.

The James Blake is very good and I will probably get slated for this but the Rudimental album is very good too, it has a very British sound that I love.

I agree with Jay on AM. As the list has been shortlisted from 250 releases they managed to vote very quickly.

I would imagine, if he turns up on the night as that's when the final decision is made, then Bowie will get it.

Only got Arctic Monkeys, Jake Bugg and Bowie. So can't really comment/consider all of them. Bowie's was decent enough, not as bad as what people make out. Bugg's was good for a debut album as well, every song on it was decent and the lyrics made sense.

• 1 month later...

Archived