Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
I blame Wellens

25,000+

I know every team in the championship is suffering from falling attendances but we are top of the league. As the old song goes "THIS IS THE SEASON FOR LEICESTER!" Well it could be anyway. So tell a mate, tell your mum, tell your budgie. Get them down to the KING POWER and get behind those boys in blue. I know there were many who doubted Pearson and to some degree still do (I am one of them) but we've got a chance this season. It's a competitive league the pundits always say. It's competitive because the vast majority of teams are poor is the reality. We know that but come on City. The Prem I believe is as close as its been for many a year. Remember when Brian Little came and after 5 or 6 games the attendance jumped up from 11 or 12,000 to 16, 17 18,000. We need to start loving our club again! BLUE ARMY BLUE ARMY EIEIEIO up the .... Remember when we were loud and those two chants blew the roof off the double decker.

That's all very well and good but how do I convince them after I tell them it's about £25 per game? And that's just a bog standard league game.

People can't be arsed to pay those prices anymore. If we want 25,000 we're going to have to get in the Premiership first.

In fact, crowds will barely go up at all until we get there. Even if we're doing well. People won't be convinced until we actually prove it by getting promoted.

So people can't be arsed and its the clubs fault for putting up prices. I suppose it's the clubs fault for ruining the atmosphere as well. Move the kop and all that crap. What you are saying is that fans are not passionate or fanatical anymore. Football is expensive these days but no more expensive than anything else in this world. Save up, get another job, rob a bank. Sell your naff playstation games or Nike trainers. Go and kick a ball in the park with a pair of sports direct boots instead and then you might be able to afford it. If you love the city find a way!

I know there are people out there that genuinely save up to see a city match and I am not belittling your efforts to get to as many games as you can. But IF you can get down the city NOW It's FUN winning you know.

So people can't be arsed and its the clubs fault for putting up prices. I suppose it's the clubs fault for ruining the atmosphere as well. Move the kop and all that crap. What you are saying is that fans are not passionate or fanatical anymore. Football is expensive these days but no more expensive than anything else in this world. Save up, get another job, rob a bank. Sell your naff playstation games or Nike trainers. Go and kick a ball in the park with a pair of sports direct boots instead and then you might be able to afford it. If you love the city find a way!

I know there are people out there that genuinely save up to see a city match and I am not belittling your efforts to get to as many games as you can. But IF you can get down the city NOW It's FUN winning you know.

I think you'll find it is. I can go to Alton Towers for a day for about the same as the avreage football match, and there are plenty of things that entertain people which are much cheaper. Cinema, bowling, every other sport, a sky sports subscription. Young people would rather go on a night out and that's cheaper these days unless you're trying to push the boat out.

WTF do you want me to say? People aren't that bothered about the football. We're in the second tier. If ticket prices were reasonable we'd get more punters in, but they aren't, so we don't. It matters not whether we are positive or whether some of us have passion. You try and convince the people I know to go to the football when deep down even you know you are being fleeced.

The way football is priced is so that people like you and me who are desperate are the majority of people who go. You can't bring in many of the shall I shant I group when they are wincing at what price they'd have to pay.

Genuinely understand the financial issue was just excited about our start to the season and want more fans to enjoy what could be a great season.

I get you, man. But realistically we're going to have to suck it up for a while. The days of getting close to capacity in the second tier are long gone.

I'd love it if the owners had your attitude. If they had a true desire to attract fans they would.

Of course, being out of the top flight for so long takes it's toll anyway.

The longer we stay in this league, the more crowds will dwindle.

But the pricing at the same time is a problem. We get less now than we did when we went down and it was the same last year too.

The pricing in general needs to come down. Season tickets are reasonable in most areas, but the majority of matchday tickets are £30 or over for adults. Who the hell is gonna pay that for a cold Tuesday night at home to Blackburn?

I think even if we go up we'll do well to get 25k a game as we all know they'll whack the prices right up even further and the novelty will die off.

Sad the way football's going in this country. Fans are becoming a complete insignificance - as much as clubs will try and tell you otherwise.

I told you what I'd do.

Slap a 'pay on the gate' £20 entry in the corners that rarely get filled to get your punters in who just fancy coming down but don't want to be arsed to queue for a ticket. I betcha you'd get quite a few more in that way rather than just having row after row of nearly empty seats.

The club, however, are pricing themselves out of the reach (or want) of many these days. As somebody said above, you ain't gonna fill the stadium charging £30 in the second tier.

I'm surprised the club aren't far more dynamic and flexible re. Their pricing structure.

You'll always get your die-hards... The guys who are willing to pay for their season tickets cos 'football is their life' kinda thing. It's how to get the others in that's the challenge... The ones who aren't sure about coming down.

Finally, it's about the prices inside the ground which, I'm afraid, are nothing short of an outrage.

The 'Football League Show'? The club should be featured on 'Crimewatch'!

:whistle:

I told you what I'd do.

Slap a 'pay on the gate' £20 entry in the corners that rarely get filled to get your punters in who just fancy coming down but don't want to be arsed to queue for a ticket. I betcha you'd get quite a few more in that way rather than just having row after row of nearly empty seats.

The club, however, are pricing themselves out of the reach (or want) of many these days. As somebody said above, you ain't gonna fill the stadium charging £30 in the second tier.

I'm surprised the club aren't far more dynamic and flexible re. Their pricing structure.

You'll always get your die-hards... The guys who are willing to pay for their season tickets cos 'football is their life' kinda thing. It's how to get the others in that's the challenge... The ones who aren't sure about coming down.

Finally, it's about the prices inside the ground which, I'm afraid, are nothing short of an outrage.

Well said Col

As much as I love lcfc. My money has to go on more important things. 30 quid + for a match day.

They can get lost for that.

I will wait for a birthday offer or some other cheap tickets. 15 quid would be decent.

They have priced many people out of the game my just lcfc but football in general.

Pretty sad really.

The truth is until we moved to the King Power Stadium, we would barely reach 20,000 in the 2nd division. It rose to a near full house (23,000) most games under O'Neill in the PL but we shouldn't forget that quite frankly we only have 20-30,000 core Leicester fans and there's a fair few alienated by the prices and then there's several thousand drifters. I think our current attendances are nothing to worry about.

The truth is until we moved to the King Power Stadium, we would barely reach 20,000 in the 2nd division. It rose to a near full house (23,000) most games under O'Neill in the PL but we shouldn't forget that quite frankly we only have 20-30,000 core Leicester fans and there's a fair few alienated by the prices and then there's several thousand drifters. I think our current attendances are nothing to worry about.

I think this pretty much sums up our historic and current predicament.

There will be many who can remember attendances of around 9000 at the old Filbert Street when walk up prices were considered ok.

The cost of some season tickets actually represents good value and with the spread out interest free payments it is possible for people to afford to go should these tickets be the right thing for them.

I do think the club could and should be more imaginative with their season ticket offerings though. Why don't they offer more mini season tickets, for eg they could just cover the matches in December and offer them in parts of the ground which never seems to sell. The system set up at the till point can mark up your seaon ticket for cup matches so why not for say a limited number of games. Surely this would help people who may not be able to attend every game to think about coming more oftent than say once or twice at £30 a go.

Sadly only if we were to make the premiership would we sell out most games. There is a great appetite in this country for top level sport fed very much by the national press and media obsession with the Premier League. if you have young children interested in football the chances are they will know next to nothing about their local club, unless there is a family connection, but they sure will know about Gareth Bale. I'm not blaming the media but if you listen to Talk Sport you would be hard pressed to know football existed outside about 6 clubs. National papers really only feature the top clubs with more being written about Wayne Rooney in a week than about us in an entire season. One of the best things in my life in football was Manchester Utd being relegated and sides like Ipswich being runner up in the old first division. Sadly the chances of either of those happening again are nil. With that goes the dreams of glory for many fans who have no real connection to a local team.

This plus the fact that there are now so many more options for entertainment than there were in the 50s, 60s and 70s means unless you are in the top division it is unlikely that things will ever improve  much even if you reduce prices slightly.

When the club do offers, pie and a pint etc, the season ticket holders moan. As far as I'm concerned, they can do as many offers as they want, if it's gonna get more people in! I am a season ticket holder.

People don't want offers though. They want a reasonable ticket pricing structure so that every match is affordable.

They do offers because they know they are pricing people out of the market. If they wanted to get fans in first and foremost then they would make all tickets the price of the one-off cheap tickets.

Do they ever do these offers against Forest or Derby? No they jack the prices up so we're nowhere near a sell-out. The bottom line is, they'd rather not get crowds over 25K even for the big games. Their view is, if we're getting that many fans in, it's obviously too cheap.

Fair play to you though, I shared the same attitude when I was a ST holder - I just wanted to go to games at a full-ish ground with a good atmosphere.

I think the point is though, there were less alienated by the prices 3-5 years ago, and the stadium didn't have the novelty of being new then like it did back in 02-03, which you could argue was a factor for such high crowds.

We've become a bigger club since before the O'Neill years, and based on the years since we moved into the KP until 2 or 3 seasons ago we should be averaging 23K in the 2nd tier.

Like I say, circumstances are counting against us at the moment - so long outside the top flight (longest time ever pretty much) and higher ticket prices than ever.

I don't think our attendances are particularly bad compared with the whole of football because most crowds are getting lower. But still, it's a shame to see it.

I told you what I'd do.

You might get a few come in but I'm not sure it'd make any significant difference to our attendance Col. The one that sticks in my mind was last year when we had Barnsley at home, Saturday 3pm just after beaing Derby 4-1, fans fixture, and we still only pulled in 23k. That would've been hitting 28/29k 5 years ago.

Ric makes a very fair point about our historic crowds in fairness, but that shouldn't detract from the fact they've gone down in the past few years despite us actually improving as a team.

Archived