Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Which Darkest Leicester moment pained you the most?

Which Leicester moment pained you the most?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which Leicester moment pained you the most?

• Relegation From The Championship (0-0 vs Stoke)
    • Losing the penalty shoot to Cardiff in the play off semi final of 2010.
    • Watford play off semi final last season.

This is going to sound really strange but none of them. Mine is actually quite random.

The most upset I have ever been watching Leicester was after the 4-3 defeat at Newcastle when we had been 3-1 up before Shearer scored a hat trick. I still don't know why either. I cried for ages.The Wycombe at home defeat a close second, I still can't watch either if they come on the tele.

The other three were horrid but I was filled with pride after the two play off losses still, the relegation I just thought we got exactly what we deserved.

All three were terrible days. All games that we were so close to winning and yet it just wasn't to be. I'll probably go for relegation against Stoke. Having only supported City since we were relegated from the premier league, all I'd seen were years of poor and mediocre football. I honestly couldn't see things getting better at all given the situation that we were in, I could just see it getting worse and worse. That's one of the main reasons that I'm so grateful towards Nigel Pearson. For the first time I could be truly proud of the club, especially in the 09/10 season.

At least after the other games, there was hope for the future (until we sacked Pearson after the Cardiff game anyway).

The 2010 play-off defeat was horrible, especially considering we well and truly had the measure of Blackpool. I firmly believe we'd have been promoted had we beaten Cardiff that night. 

Watford was awful, just awful. Literally the most emotionally devastating 60 seconds of football I've ever seen.

The thing about both though is that they came with pride as to how the season had gone, as well as optimism for the season to come. There was a belief we could push on in 2010 and I feel there's a growing surge of belief now. We're edging ever closer to a return to the Premier League, and that softens the blow. 

2008 though was the pits. We'd been awful for four years leading up to it, we should have seen it coming really. The worst thing about it was the fact we were at our lowest ebb in our history. The thought of playing Cheltenham and Hereford in league fixtures was a depressing one, the sight of Forest fans invading the pitch and becoming our Championship replacements compounded it. Our local derbies were Peterborough and MK Dons. There was no faith in Mandaric finding a decent replacement for Holloway, most of us expected John Gregory or Mike Newell. We'd seen Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds and Forest take years to escape it and had no reason to believe we'd be any different.

That was the worst of the three, just for the sheer hopelessness, embarrassment and despair we all felt.

This is going to sound really strange but none of them. Mine is actually quite random.

The most upset I have ever been watching Leicester was after the 4-3 defeat at Newcastle when we had been 3-1 up before Shearer scored a hat trick. I still don't know why either. I cried for ages.The Wycombe at home defeat a close second, I still can't watch either if they come on the tele.

The other three were horrid but I was filled with pride after the two play off losses still, the relegation I just thought we got exactly what we deserved.

fook me,I know what you mean( apart from crying like a Jesse) Must have been on sky,I remember I think Heskey getting a decent goal and I thought that's it.Then that boring cvnt gets a Hattrick.

Whilst talking about Shearer,dunno if I ever mentioned this but we were around some friends some years back probably 30 odd people( half kids) and we were talking football.Now one of the dads was a Sunderland STH living in Peterborough ( good shout that) now his son was about 6 and mad on Sunderland.This kid was shouting for everyone's attention.silence fell and the kid goes" I know I'm not allowed to swear,but Shearer is a cvnt" thought me and my mates were going to shit ourselves and we kept looking upto the kids dad who looked like the Liverpool home kit.

Watford. Easily the lowest I've felt as a Leicester fan...

Stoke was a slow and gradual culmination of years of dross and a couple of near misses. With Cardiff there was great pride at what we'd achieved and the team we had (soon to be pulled apart) with promise for the future. With last year it was just the clinical nature of going from the possibility of everything to the reality of nothing in just 20 seconds. Sickening.

First thing that comes to mind is David Speedie falling under Steve Walsh's arm to win a late penno for Blackburn at Wembley. Next is Wembley again and that cvntish spurs player whatever his name was scoring a late winner for them followed by pictures of their fans in our end punching women in the face.

The Stoke only in that it confirmed our Relegation from tier 2 for the first time in a long history and getting promoted from the 3rd tier being our lowest ever finish.

The reason I say Cardiff is because I genuinely felt robbed.

Watford, for all 'that' 60 seconds will as far as I'm concerned, never ever be topped in Leicester's history, I thought we were extremely lucky to be where we were. I thought we'd been absolute shite for the majority of the second half of the season and we'd been outplayed in that game as well. I thought the penalty was extremely soft and it's not that I'm saying I wanted him to miss - but I didn't feel like we deserved to be at Wembley that year, I personally think it'd have been a farce.

Cardiff, was just so, so gutting to watch. So many times that season you had to pinch yourself. Whilst being a top Championship club wasn't really something we should consider a big achievement, I'd grown up with the majority of my football being dominated by the Leveins, Kellys, Holloways, Megsons etc... just basically, a Derby of today although if anything worse. No hope, no entertainment, just simply stale season after stale season. It was surreal watching us actually perform at this level and against so many odds when you consider our team was made up of the likes of Weale, Neilson, Brown, Hobbs, Berner, Morrison, N'Guessan, Adams, Oakley, Dyer, Waghorn, Fryatt, Howard, and many others who you'd never have associated with a promotion winning side. I felt that season like we'd seriously over-achieved and in the most unbelievable of circumstances, had actually turned what looked a dead tie into a victory and we weren't even threatened until that horrible fvcking **** Chopra dives, throws every bit of aggression he can muster into trying to get Bruce sent off, and we eventually fall due to one of the most bizarre penalties ever as well as a real unsung hero (of that season at least...) missing the crucial penalty. I was proud of that side, but that truly was a fvcking nightmare and I got over Watford so much quicker than that and it's simply because of merit.

Stoke was a whole different argument altogether, but funnily enough, I felt optimistic. Referring back to the fact we'd been such a dull team, the thought of winning every week regardless of opposition started to appeal more, as wrong as it sounds.

1. Cardiff

2. Stoke

3. Watford

Watford and Cardiff definitely up there, but for me the worst was Portsmouth.

On TV, after we'd only just beat them 2-1 earlier that week, and then we go and get drubbed 6-1. Pitiful display. Think I remember it being 4-0 around the 60th minute when I had to stop watching. Ended up listening to the radio just so I didn't have to see it get any worse...

And Vitor got red for 'rugby tackling' Nuge,..

On TV, after we'd literally just beat them 2-1 earlier that week, and then we go and get drubbed 6-1. Pitiful display. Think I remember it being 4-0 around the 60th minute when I had to stop watching. Ended up listening to the radio just so I didn't have to see it get any worse...

I was on TV as soon as we went 4 down. Did seeing my face make you THAT depressed? lol

That was a complete humiliation though. I knew we'd lose, absolutely set up in every way possible to lose, but 6-1 was an absolute disgrace from every single player involved in the game. I wouldn't rank it anywhere near these three though.

My lowest point wasn't actually any of those 3 (although none of them were exactly fun)

Mine was the play-off final loss to Swindon in the early 90's. To be 3-0 down like we were and seemingly out of it and then to come storming back to 3-3 was one of the most energizing 20 minute periods Ive ever experienced watching Leicester. Only to have it all destroyed by a very dodgy penalty was just completely heart breaking :(

Wycombe. But of the given three, Cardiff. We'd played brilliantly for most of the season, had a poor first leg and gone 1-0 down in the away leg, and overcame them both. Missing out on a trip to Wembley due to an offside penalty, and a ridiculous Kermorgant decision in the shootout hurt so much.

Out of the 3 Cardiff was the least painful. I felt such pride and was also aware I'd just seen one of the best matches I'd ever seen. We were robbed and it was horrible, especially with the Kermo pen, but there was also comforting feeling. We'd exceeded expectations and had so much hope for the future after years of crap.

The Sheffield Wednesday one was worse than the Stoke one. The ground was packed and everyone thought we were just going to seal safety again. But we collapsed under the pressure and to see it all slip away from us in that game was horrific. I can still remember the feeling now. It was a mixture of embarrassment, frustration, anger, disbelief. I just felt we were scuppered then and I really couldn't believe what had happened.

Last season was horrible too. I felt no pride after that, we got what we deserved and all the glory was Watford's. We'll have to endure years and years of that match being mentioned, replayed and montaged now. We won't be allowed to forget it. And I wonder if that was our last big chance for some time.

Out of the 3 Cardiff was the least painful. I felt such pride and was also aware I'd just seen one of the best matches I'd ever seen. We were robbed and it was horrible, especially with the Kermo pen, but there was also comforting feeling. We'd exceeded expectations and had so much hope for the future after years of crap.

The Sheffield Wednesday one was worse than the Stoke one. The ground was packed and everyone thought we were just going to seal safety again. But we collapsed under the pressure and to see it all slip away from us in that game was horrific. I can still remember the feeling now. It was a mixture of embarrassment, frustration, anger, disbelief. I just felt we were scuppered then.

Last season was horrible too. I felt no pride after that, we got what we deserved and all the glory was Watford's. We'll have to endure years and years of that match being mentioned, replayed and montaged now. We won't be allowed to forget it. And I wonder if that was our last big chance for some time.

That's why Cardiff beats both for me. With Stoke & Watford I felt on both occasions like we'd got what we deserved, after Cardiff I felt thoroughly robbed.

Oops, didn't see the poll when I made that last post.

Of the three, I went for Cardiff. Heartbreaking, especially when Waggy had to take that penalty after Kermo. I was convinced we'd win through on penalties, and I remember hearing that Kermo had been hitting them perfectly in training - hard and fast bottom corner - so when he walked up to take it and did that, that was horrible.

Tough to decide between stoke and watford though. I started following Leicester the first season after relegation from the Prem, so Stoke was my first properly painful moment as a fan. Watford without doubt wins for the most painful 60 seconds as a Leicester fan for me, though. 

That's why Cardiff beats both for me. With Stoke & Watford I felt on both occasions like we'd got what we deserved, after Cardiff I felt thoroughly robbed.

For me it's comforting knowing the team has done us proud. Maybe it's the typical English attitude, but it makes me feel better to know we put in a great display and actually deserved more, and really it's the officials and one selfish twat who cost us. There was no feeling of shame like there was with the other 2.

It's the shame and embarrassment that I can't stand.

On TV, after we'd only just beat them 2-1 earlier that week, and then we go and get drubbed 6-1. Pitiful display. Think I remember it being 4-0 around the 60th minute when I had to stop watching. Ended up listening to the radio just so I didn't have to see it get any worse...

Super Steve bagged a Bergkamp-esque beauty which softened the blow.

Bolton at home in the year we went down was grim. Was at my Mum and Dad's wedding and was receiving updates throughout the service.

Wycombe was top though, everything started going horribly wrong after that moment in time were a Ceefax striker bagged the winner. Relegation, Top players leaving, administration. I thoroughly believe if we had beat Wycombe we would have won the FA cup.

The Stoke game was never as dark as the game before that  v. Sheffield Wednesday at home. All we had to do was beat a p1ss poor Wednesday side, at home, to guarantee safety. We were 1-0 up and Wednesday had missed a penalty. Then Kisnorbo (our best defender at the time) got injured, Hume missed a penalty and we conceded 3 sloppy goals.

I knew after that we were relegated. The Stoke game never felt like a real chance to escape.

Easily, Watford tops the lot, though. I was dreaming of Wembley when Knockaert put the ball on the spot.

All of us planning on going and making a day of it. After such a woeful second half of the season, we were surely at Wembley. The Premier League, Match of the Day, trips to Anfield and Old Trafford all went through my mind...and then that. I felt sick for days after.

Cardiff

Watford

Stoke

In that order. I've never felt so proud in being a city fan after that night in Cardiff, and as kitchandro says it was probably the best game of football I've ever seen in my life.

There are things that haunt me about that day even now. Cardiffs pitch invasion, the drive home etc. The celebration after Kings goal that night... Fcuk me.

What really makes this the worst were two factors. 1. Kermorgant had contributed **** all to our season prior to that. There's a couple of tits on here who'll defend the willy puller to the hilt but you never NEVER take a penalty like that in that situation. I couldn't give a fcuk if, 'thats his preferred method of taking them' It's not acceptable. Look at how Knockaert has been treated since Watford. Sum up the comparisons. That's why kermorgant is a dick. That Dave Henson song about it him is genius as the whole last verse puts into words how I felt that night.

The other factor which has helped quell the Watford pain quicker was that most football fans saw what happened that day. I had texts off mates who support other clubs who were genuinely sympathetic (a couple of derby fans even) everyone of them said, 'I can't imagine how you feel' or words to that affect. However, it was football. We all knew that coming out the ground. It's why we all love it yet hate it. The only other fans who could possibly know exactly how we felt in those few mins and days after were probably Brentford.

At Cardiff on the other hand our match was overshadowed by Fulhams UEFA Cup Final match. Noone apart from City fans (on the whole) saw us get cheated out by a dive from an offside penalty. Noone saw us be major underdogs and turn the game around on its head (ill just remind you of kings celebration again) Noone knew that French willy puller had done nothing all season. Noone knew we'd already beaten Blackpool twice that season and offside DJ couldn't have played against us. Neutral fans the next day would've read the paper thought, 'thats a shame, the Welsh won last night' and that's it.

Of all the media reports I've seen of that game not one mentioned the offside for their penalty for instance. It's like it never happened. Everyone saw the Watford game and everyone could sympathise as we all know how cruel football can be.

another thing is I predicted immediately after cardiff that we'd missed our best opportunity for a long time to go up

Stoke doesn't even come close to the other 2 events. I've been unfortunate enough to have been at all 3 and stoke didn't even register on the pain threshold. We'd been shit all season. Longer even.

Archived