Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Which Darkest Leicester moment pained you the most?

Which Leicester moment pained you the most?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which Leicester moment pained you the most?

• Relegation From The Championship (0-0 vs Stoke)
    • Losing the penalty shoot to Cardiff in the play off semi final of 2010.
    • Watford play off semi final last season.

Being realistic, and stop being the unfunny twat I am.

It has to be last season's play-off game against Watford. 

Sat on my sofa, with my mum(who supports Watford), we get the penalty excitement rushing through my body, then we missed, I fall to the floor on my knees with my head in hands.

The mother starts shouting, I look up at the tv screen to see Watford on the counter attack, I start shouting "NO NO NO, GET RID"

But then they scored, Mum screams "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and starts clapping. Then she realised how bad this was for me. 

"Oh dear, that's bad, I'm so sorry" she said. 

But being the good son I am, after the full time whistle went, I said well done and gave her a cuddle  :D

For the rest of that day, it was bloody hard.

Second to that was when we got relegated to League 1, first and only time I've cried as a Leicester fan.

Cardiff was awful, Dad and I just sat in silence. What made it worse was my Spanish teacher was a Cardiff fan, he never spoke to me after what I said to him for teasing me.

Watford genuinely made me cry, and I was a few years older than the Cardiff game. Tough being a City fan, but the camoraderie at games and lasting social memories keeps you going back. Even when some of you fvck me off no end sometimes lol lol

From that list, Stoke. To lose a proud record in such an abysmal fashion was criminal. Thankfully we got in a competent manager who made it a painless next season.

Wycombe is extremely difficult to accept, unbelievable performance, result and subsequent collapse of not just that season but the club as a whole.

How anyone can vote Watford has me totally perplexed, they were marginally better than us over the two legs and we only ever had a chance of winning due to some rather blatant cheating which back fired in quite spectacular fashion. The only thing dark about that day was the stupid amount of people on here who quickly changed their opinions on diving the minute it looked like we we're going to Wembley because of one, comparing it to being relegated to League One, coming back from 3-0 down against Swindon only to lose out on a dodge pen, Same with Blackburn and Speedys obvious Dive, no sorry. In fact I'd say both our relegation's from the Premier League and the lose to Spurs at Wembley were harder to take than that. Whilst I'm sure I'd of gotten over it had we won that game I would have felt embarrassed.

Out of that list, Watford for sure. 12 yards from Wembley - from heaven to heartbreak in less than 60 seconds was gutting, I literally sat in silence for an hour, just trying to comprehend what happened.

But the one for me, is Wycombe. Me and my dad didn't go, and I just had a feeling all day that it wasn't going to go well. After the game, I just had that feeling that things wouldn't be the same - we all know what happens next.

I went for the Cardiff game because I honestly thought we had a good chance of winning, and THAT penalty made it all the worse.

I was already resigned to relegation really after that game against Sheffield Wednesday before, and I just thought after the game "Ohwell, at least we might start winning again after 4 years of dross"

Similarly I didn't think we deserved to be in the playoffs against Watford and took just being there. We were clearly the worse team out of the two (and the level of hoofball as embarrassing). The way we lost against Watford was awful but did we really deserve to be in the playoff final after the way we performed in the latter half of the season?

First game of the season when we got hammered 5-0 at home to Bolton.  It was then that the realisation kicked in that the glory days under O'neill were well and truly over and we were relegated that season without even a whimper.

Agree with you on this one

The Mercury interviewed me prior to kick off and I said something along the lines of "after last seasons finish, a good start is essential, because if we carry on as we finished we could be in big trouble" .... 20 minutes into the game & knew it was going to be a long season

Mine has to be the day Peter Taylor became our manager. If his task would have been come into the club, upset all of our legend players baring muzzy/matty Elliott. And spend all of our money on sub standard "potential" players (I'm being polite). Eg akinbuyi, m jones, lee Marshall (his words to me were 'that boy will play for England one day'). Apparently he didn't sign Benjamin the club did (and in the end he didn't do too bad under Micky). Then he accomplished it with style.

And you foresaw all of this happening on the day he was appointed? I don't think that counts as a "moment"

I can't beleive that nobody has yet put that our darkest moment was October 2002 when we went into administration and the very real spectre of LCFC no longer existing hung heavy over the Walkers Stadium. Fortunately Micky Adams and the lads did a brilliant job that season with extremely limited resources. Hopefully we'll be able to copy them in triumph over adversity!

What a top post! Nearly exactly what Id of wrote lol. The bit firstly about Cardiff...couldnt agree more. I mean I was the same, only started really following Leicester passionatly since 03, I also was used to dross after dross season and absolutely no memory of even having a hope of being in the top half(I remember a 2-1 win vs Stoke one season, maybe 06/07.Steven Hughes scored the winner? Basically we moved up to 12th and I remember thinking OMG top half..and going to college so happy). Thats how sad it was, so to finally have a team doing well in the CC was a pleasure to watch. For me it felt like a dream(and tbh every season since has been amazing to what I was used to haha).

Also the Stoke thing, I also remember saying at the time 'actually maybe it will be a good thing'. At first clearly down, the Hume shot agonisingly saved, the McCuarly header off post, the Stoke fans invading the pitch before FT prolonging the agony..was terrible, but after a few hours I honestly remember thinking 'you know what, lets start again and come back with momemtum'. In reality, I should of been worried because we quite easily could of festered for 3 to 4 seasons in League 1 but at the time I honestly was not too down...Was good to get out of a rut, felt like a new start.

Watford for me I was devestated. We were holding on to extra time and delighted tbh. Then we get a pen...absolute elation! 1 kick to Wembley...then what happened! I jumped off my seat ready to celebrate 'save' then saved rebound! I was just standing up staring at the screen, hands on my head...as the move progressed I didnt move, I was so upset 'weve blown it', 'there going to win extra time now'..as Anya crosses the ball..heads back..DEEENEY! I am still standing and not moved my hands the entire time..followed by 'Oh My God...That didnt just happen'(in the most sarcastic tone possible)...second late I swing round and smash the shit out my sofa shouting 'F*K!!!!!!!!!!!!!'(neighbours think im going mental) lol.

For me it was absoultely devastating for a good day..but then next day I genuinely felt this season we could just mount another challenge and it wasnt the end for this team(providing we didnt make the same mistake as last time and get rid of Nige). That was my main worry.

Overall though, AT THE TIME..Id say 1.Watford. 2.Stoke. 3.Cardiff. Plainly because Watford was devastating, We had a kick to win it, we had been top and also 2nd in Feb, We also had a historic day in Nottingham a week or so before(I thought it was fate). Stoke because it was horrible to see us drop like a stone and reality says we are a league 1 club and we got seasons to wait to ever even have a chance of returning to the EPL! Cardiff 3rd because I felt extremely proud and that with the team we have we punched so far above are weight, it was like Ricky Hatton facing Lennox Lewis! So for that reason I wasnt as upset...but clearly the way King put us ahead, it felt like Liverpool in Istanbul and was dramatic to the point that when they get that penalty(when the guy was bloody offside) was another reason to suggest we didnt get what we deserved that night.

So all In all Watford, Stoke then Cardiff for how I felt afterwards..but in terms of what we deserved Cardiff we fought like men and didnt get what we deserved. Watford probably did and Stoke most certainly got what we deserved.

In terms of hindsite, I think Stoke actually was the best thing that ever happened to us. Watford meant we had another year to gel and start again. As Cardiff, the team tryed so hard that I was pretty worried we wouldnt be as strong the season after..I.E it did feel like that whole season we would slip but we never did..credit to the guys, but felt we had missed our chance and would have seasons to wait afterwards or if we had gone up, could of been a Derby.

Theres lots of ways to look at it..

I personally think in terms of how it effects the future of the club:

Cardiff was the worst..Watford was easy to get our heads up and Stoke was a new fresh start and it its own way exciting..

In terms of how I felt regarding the game at the time:

Watford made me Ill and was the worse..Cardiff felt disapointed and unjust but proud...Stoke It felt a weight off the shoulders tbh.

Lots of ways to look at it but Id say Watford for the pain at the time(first half hour after), Stoke for the rest of the day(the realisation), Cardiff for the week-months after(close season). Overall Stoke happened for the best tbh, Cardiff probably was a blessing in disguise not going up, Watford again probably works perfect for our team having another season to click.

I could talk all day(I already have) but I still couldnt come up with a firm answer.

Very good post that is too and I agree with the majority of it.

Watford just seemed surreal, but I actually think that 60 seconds is an ironic sense, a complete summary of our season. So much hope and promise, in an excellent position to go up, only we go and fvck it right at the last possible chance and we lose. It still angers me to this day how we've managed that, from a footballing perspective, to concede from your own penalty is a fvcking disgrace and the defending was absolutely pathetic, as it was for the majority of the second half of the season.

But the blow was softened by the week before. I even said after Forest I didn't give a shit what happened in the play-offs lol not entirely true, but there's an element of truth in it - that game softened any blow and although we were dealt the harshest one you will ever see at Leicester, there was a truly memorable event just 8 days before that sort of made up for it.

If anything, it brought us back to reality.

Archived