Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Which Darkest Leicester moment pained you the most?

Which Leicester moment pained you the most?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which Leicester moment pained you the most?

• Relegation From The Championship (0-0 vs Stoke)
    • Losing the penalty shoot to Cardiff in the play off semi final of 2010.
    • Watford play off semi final last season.

I think another sad thing about Cardiff is that it was the last we ever really saw of that team. Pearson's final game of his first spell and it just shouldn't have been - the timing of getting rid of him couldn't have been worse.

We were a circus for the next two years after it. I think we're still on the mend and this team in some ways reminds me of our 09/10 side, but it was from that day in Cardiff, the fact Sousa was in the stands, that it really did signal the end of a bit of an era and the start of a new one - one of obscene wages, excessive loanees, money thrown around like it's going out of fashion, under-achievement and little clue how to sort it all out.

Stoke for me.

It's the only one I cried about (although it was the only one I was younger than 16).

The actual moment at Watford was more painful, but it was off the back of an incredible day at Forest and there wasn't any impending feeling of doom. After we got relegated at Stoke and we were left with a squad of overaged shitbags, I honestly thought we'd plummet and stay in League One for a good few years. The famous "Never been in the third tier" tag was gone. We were watching Stoke fans celebrate being in the Premier League when we had that jubilation in the same decade. 

Before I knew much about Pearson, other than keeping Southampton up I remember the back of the Mercury showing  a shortlist of managers for the upcoming 08/09 season:

Pearson, Gregory and Worthington lol

At the time, I wanted Worthington! I'm just relieved we're not sinking like Sheffield United. We needed to go up that year and we did, but prior to the season I really didn't think we'd do it.

I felt relegation to league one was more shocking than feeling upset. I always felt Leicester we're always to big for the championship! It just proves these days it doesn't matter how big you thing you are, you could still found yourself being relegated. However that league one campaign was really exciting and maybe we did needed that step back.

Cardiff away was really disappointing and upsetting but at the end of the day none of us expected us to even reach the play offs at the start of the season! 

Watford was simply horrible, to be so close you could almost touch it to have it snatched away from yer like that was just upsetting and shocking. I've never felt so ill after a result like that! the train home was full of silent leicester fans who just couldn't believe what they just witnessed. 

How anyone can vote Watford has me totally perplexed, they were marginally better than us over the two legs and we only ever had a chance of winning due to some rather blatant cheating which back fired in quite spectacular fashion. The only thing dark about that day was the stupid amount of people on here who quickly changed their opinions on diving the minute it looked like we we're going to Wembley because of one, comparing it to being relegated to League One, coming back from 3-0 down against Swindon only to lose out on a dodge pen, Same with Blackburn and Speedys obvious Dive, no sorry. In fact I'd say both our relegation's from the Premier League and the lose to Spurs at Wembley were harder to take than that. Whilst I'm sure I'd of gotten over it had we won that game I would have felt embarrassed.

Absolutely agree with this

And you foresaw all of this happening on the day he was appointed? I don't think that counts as a "moment"

I can't beleive that nobody has yet put that our darkest moment was October 2002 when we went into administration and the very real spectre of LCFC no longer existing hung heavy over the Walkers Stadium. Fortunately Micky Adams and the lads did a brilliant job that season with extremely limited resources. Hopefully we'll be able to copy them in triumph over adversity!

Administration was my worst time as a Leicester fan and said so in the last thread like this but I'm just going on the 3 in the poll.

Administration was my worst time as a Leicester fan and said so in the last thread like this but I'm just going on the 3 in the poll.

It's a stupid poll.

The only one of the three I'd actually consider a proper dark day for the club was relegation. I've had better days as a fan that Cardiff and Watford for certain but at my relatively young age they're well down the list, I think the FA cup game against Chelsea when LeBeouf scored the penalty that never was was more annoying at least we deserved the win that day. For someone like DavieG there most be countless of relegation's and cup humiliations that feature ahead of Watford and Cardiff.  

But clearly other people see it differently. 

Cardiff

Watford

Stoke

In that order. I've never felt so proud in being a city fan after that night in Cardiff, and as kitchandro says it was probably the best game of football I've ever seen in my life.

There are things that haunt me about that day even now. Cardiffs pitch invasion, the drive home etc. The celebration after Kings goal that night... Fcuk me.

What really makes this the worst were two factors. 1. Kermorgant had contributed **** all to our season prior to that. There's a couple of tits on here who'll defend the willy puller to the hilt but you never NEVER take a penalty like that in that situation. I couldn't give a fcuk if, 'thats his preferred method of taking them' It's not acceptable. Look at how Knockaert has been treated since Watford. Sum up the comparisons. That's why kermorgant is a dick. That Dave Henson song about it him is genius as the whole last verse puts into words how I felt that night.

The other factor which has helped quell the Watford pain quicker was that most football fans saw what happened that day. I had texts off mates who support other clubs who were genuinely sympathetic (a couple of derby fans even) everyone of them said, 'I can't imagine how you feel' or words to that affect. However, it was football. We all knew that coming out the ground. It's why we all love it yet hate it. The only other fans who could possibly know exactly how we felt in those few mins and days after were probably Brentford.

At Cardiff on the other hand our match was overshadowed by Fulhams UEFA Cup Final match. Noone apart from City fans (on the whole) saw us get cheated out by a dive from an offside penalty. Noone saw us be major underdogs and turn the game around on its head (ill just remind you of kings celebration again) Noone knew that French willy puller had done nothing all season. Noone knew we'd already beaten Blackpool twice that season and offside DJ couldn't have played against us. Neutral fans the next day would've read the paper thought, 'thats a shame, the Welsh won last night' and that's it.

Of all the media reports I've seen of that game not one mentioned the offside for their penalty for instance. It's like it never happened. Everyone saw the Watford game and everyone could sympathise as we all know how cruel football can be.

another thing is I predicted immediately after cardiff that we'd missed our best opportunity for a long time to go up

Stoke doesn't even come close to the other 2 events. I've been unfortunate enough to have been at all 3 and stoke didn't even register on the pain threshold. We'd been shit all season. Longer even.

Sums it up perfectly for me.  That was the season we were good and should have gone up, we would have taken Blackpool in the final and given Holloway to two fingered salute for taking us down (although, knowing our luck as Leicester, he would have beaten us as he is the media's darling and we are the pantomime villains).  

Watford - that run at the end of the season got us back in there and we we close, not saying I wasn't gutted but not as much as Cardiff where Chopra's dive for the penalty left LIVID!  :mad:  :nono:  :angry:

Being realistic, and stop being the unfunny twat I am.

It has to be last season's play-off game against Watford. 

Sat on my sofa, with my mum(who supports Watford), we get the penalty excitement rushing through my body, then we missed, I fall to the floor on my knees with my head in hands.

The mother starts shouting, I look up at the tv screen to see Watford on the counter attack, I start shouting "NO NO NO, GET RID"

But then they scored, Mum screams "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and starts clapping. Then she realised how bad this was for me. 

"Oh dear, that's bad, I'm so sorry" she said. 

But being the good son I am, after the full time whistle went, I said well done and gave her a cuddle  :D

For the rest of that day, it was bloody hard.

Second to that was when we got relegated to League 1, first and only time I've cried as a Leicester fan.

Thanks for the good post.  I knew you were/are a good lad... My Mum is a Watford fan too but as I live 5000 miles away from her, all I got was a Facebook post apologising! Now.... GET BACK TO BANTER!  :blink:

This is going to sound really strange but none of them. Mine is actually quite random.

The most upset I have ever been watching Leicester was after the 4-3 defeat at Newcastle when we had been 3-1 up before Shearer scored a hat trick. I still don't know why either. I cried for ages.The Wycombe at home defeat a close second, I still can't watch either if they come on the tele.

The other three were horrid but I was filled with pride after the two play off losses still, the relegation I just thought we got exactly what we deserved.

Mine's also the Newcastle match. I was inconsolable afterwards.

It's a stupid poll.

The only one of the three I'd actually consider a proper dark day for the club was relegation. I've had better days as a fan that Cardiff and Watford for certain but at my relatively young age they're well down the list, I think the FA cup game against Chelsea when LeBeouf scored the penalty that never was was more annoying at least we deserved the win that day. For someone like DavieG there most be countless of relegation's and cup humiliations that feature ahead of Watford and Cardiff.  

...and none worse than sinking to our lowest ever level, a loss of a unique record that provided some compensation for never having won the FA cup or the top league. If we're talking losing play-off/cup games none could be worse than losing the '63 Cup Final to Man U when we were clear favorites.

Sure getting promoted from Level 3 at the first attempt was an 'enjoyable' experience but it was still our lowest ever finish, I take pleasure in the experience but the thought of never having finished lower leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

It's a stupid poll.

Yep, losing to Blackburn and Swindon hurt me a lot more than Cardiff and Watford

The last 2 play-off semis hurt. As mentioned earlier. Both times round i think had we got to wembley, we would have gone up.

However dispite taking months to get over watford. The cardiff game made me proud. That season was a bonus.

But the one that sticks with me, and it's the one massive game i have missed since the little years is the stoke game. I know it had been on the cards for a few seasons. But driving back up the m1 as the radio confirmed we had been relegated and having to put up with 12months of hearing "for the 1st time in their history" really ****ed me off.

My lowest point wasn't actually any of those 3 (although none of them were exactly fun)

Mine was the play-off final loss to Swindon in the early 90's. To be 3-0 down like we were and seemingly out of it and then to come storming back to 3-3 was one of the most energizing 20 minute periods Ive ever experienced watching Leicester. Only to have it all destroyed by a very dodgy penalty was just completely heart breaking :(

Me too. Don't remember ever feeling so utterly distraught than after that match.

Can you remember how you felt when the equaliser went in tho....I nearly exploded

Fantastic moment, the game was truly unforgettable. I think all the Leicester fans went through every possible emotion during that match, took me a long time to get over it!

Yeah me too....I remember nearly everything about that day loleven the 2nd Swindon goal hitting the post and making a really loud noise. (Why that's relevant I don't know lol)

I remember that seeming really loud, thought it was just me!! lol

Archived