Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Midfield

You obviously did not go to the derby away game. We played 4-3-3 quite effectively and were largely in control. The front three covered a lot of ground defensively and played with width. I can remember at one point Wood covering at left back when Schlupp was stranded further forward. We were 'cruising' until our benevolent manager decided he would give derby a chance to get one or even three points from the match when, with 20 odd minutes to go he changed to 4-4-2. We were very very lucky to not concede.

Yeah I did go to the game. I thought we were awful but luckily so were Derby. I wasn't suggesting I view 4-4-2 as our ONLY formation. I was just opening it up for debate- have we actually played well this season with 3 centre mids all starting the game? Not sure yet according to people on here, we are better equipped to play that way away from home.

You obviously did not go to the derby away game. We played 4-3-3 quite effectively and were largely in control. The front three covered a lot of ground defensively and played with width. I can remember at one point Wood covering at left back when Schlupp was stranded further forward. We were 'cruising' until our benevolent manager decided he would give derby a chance to get one or even three points from the match when, with 20 odd minutes to go he changed to 4-4-2. We were very very lucky to not concede.

Did we win that game?

You're welcome. Still can't see how, if you went to the game as you say, you viewed it that we lost the game in midfield. Hey ho.

I quote like Nugent yes- he works hard and has a good record since joining us.

Don't tell me, you liked Beckford?

No Beckford was a plank. My views on Nugent have been exhausted, it was a passing comment.

The frustrating thing is this. We are SO NEAR to having a really really good team.

Hats off to Pearson... He's shipped out the overpaid nonsense, he's signed some younger players to develop. And we are third in the league.

I ain't moaning! As I've said time over, we are doing better than I expected for certain.

BUT, the making or breaking of Nigel Pearson, the manager, will be in whether he can take us to that next level.

My only really worry about him is still tactical naivety. There have been times and still are times when I've been shouting to change things around, get the third player in the middle, drop King and Drinky, give James and Hammond some game time, look at Schlupp up front, give Nugent a rest etc etc.. Just be a little more dynamic with how we are setting ourselves up against certain teams and rotating the squad. But he does seem a little set in his ways in this respect.

One more time.. We will be promoted this season if we can stop losing away to sides like Donny and Charlton, like we did last season to Millwall and Peterborough for example. This is Nige's test. Is he flexible enough in how and who he plays to prevent this happening.

The only truth of the matter is, we are winning, it may be a little hard for you to comprehend. Who cares if we hammer someone or not? Id happily take boring 1-0 wins all the way.

But we've just lost and for a second time to a poor side where we've looked clueless getting the ball forward.

I'd be very happy if we won every game 1-0 but the idea that nobody cares whether or not we hammer someone is ridiculous. Why when we're 4 up do people sing 'we want 5'?

Who cares how we have started the season, seriously, who gives a flying boot

Why don't you ask Bolton about their start to the season? I suspect they wouldn't mind swapping places with us. Our start's been good - not outstanding - but good. We've played a good mix of teams - some good, some poor - and we've got some very good results, some playing good football, some where we've had to dig in and grind a result out, some where we've had a bit of luck on our side. That is the sign of a very good Championship side and if we can replicate the form we've shown from now until the end of the season, we'll certainly be there or therabouts.

Yeah, there have been a couple of poor performances in there - obviously Charlton and Doncaster away were shit - but I don't think they've been typical of our performances so far, and I don't think they suggest that we're on a downward slope either. Case in point - after that poor performance against Charlton, we put in our best performance of the season to see off a Wigan side everyone thought we would sturggle to even get a draw against.

Most people aren't bothered about a bit of criticism and I'll be the first to say that Charlton and Doncaster away were ****ing dross, but to brand the whole of our midfield as a problem, when there's been plenty of evidence to the contrary so far this season, and acting like things are desperately wrong at the club when they're not... well that pisses people off.

But we've just lost and for a second time to a poor side where we've looked clueless getting the ball forward.

I'd be very happy if we won every game 1-0 but the idea that nobody cares whether or not we hammer someone is ridiculous. Why when we're 4 up do people sing 'we want 5'?

Quite clearly you have missed the point..

Come the end of the season it won't matter what type of goals we conceded.

All that matters will be points and position.

Make sure you tell anyone who says we have been "lucky" or have "relied on pennos" that as well.

Come the end of the season it won't matter what type of goals we conceded.

All that matters will be points and position.

We have now lost away to Charlton and Donny. Two of the weaker sides in the division.

If we don't pick up at least a point from fixtures like this, we'll again most likely be scratching around for that play-off spot.

This needs to not happen. Pearson must develop a system in which we don't go away and lose games, especially to very average opposition.

I've advocated, as you know, a third midfielder for a couple of seasons now. And stick with it.

We have the pace to counter attack. Let's control the middle, cover our defenders and and hit on the break.

You've also said we haven't bought the players that "can make a difference" and make us top two... so are you now saying we do have those players but we aren't playing the right formation?

Having been at Donny I'm really not sure what difference an extra midfielder would have made against a team camped out in their own half. Teams need to attack you to be counter attacked.

Having been at Donny I'm really not sure what difference an extra midfielder would have made against a team camped out in their own half. Teams need to attack you to be counter attacked.

Maybe the plan was to put the ball into their half and win free kicks and the such. If so it plainly didn't work and what corners and throw ins we did we produced little to nothing.

Maybe the plan was to put the ball into their half and win free kicks and the such. If so it plainly didn't work and what corners and throw ins we did we produced little to nothing.

The changes we didn't make during the game are what concerned me more than the how we set up. 4-4-2 can and has worked for us this season, but you can see very early on when it isn't going to. There were quite a few things that could have been done, but I don't think many in the ground were saying... "what we are really lacking is another centre mid".

The changes we didn't make during the game are what concerned me more than the how we set up. 4-4-2 can and has worked for us this season, but you can see very early on when it isn't going to. There were quite a few things that could have been done, but I don't think many in the ground were saying... "what we are really lacking is another centre mid".

Fair enough lol

Genuine question then- who would you play up front for us?

Wood and Knockeart.

Wood is better on the floor than in the air. Knockeart is the key to eveything when he is in the middle and roaming. 

You can bring Nugent and Vardy on later to run around a bit but Wood and Knockeart have undoubted quality.

Wood and Knockeart.

Wood is better on the floor than in the air. Knockeart is the key to eveything when he is in the middle and roaming.

You can bring Nugent and Vardy on later to run around a bit but Wood and Knockeart have undoubted quality.

Well Wood is injured and Knockeart's finishing isn't the best. (Here comes the nugents finishing is crap all over again) who would you then play as a right sided midfielder?

Wood and Knockeart.

Wood is yet to convince me. He looks like he can't be bothered. Can't doubt his finishing though so yeah, maybe he deserves a start once fit. Knockaert is way too slow to play up top for me. Needs to play behind the front two, or where he usually does. Vardy's started the season so well that in my opinion it's a choice of who plays with him at the moment.

Sorry Mr 13 posts but I have my say as we all do after every performance. So thanks for researching my history.

"Well thought out response" - Is this a bad thing? Am i supposed to type the way I speak instead? Did you resent the top set children at school?

Judging by the manure you have decided to type I am guessing you have more posts than ticket stubs in recent years.

Season ticket holder + get to away games where possible. I get to around 60-70% of the games a season + always listen to or watch the remaining games. Kind of justifies the "manure" I'm typing which most people seem to be agreeing with. You have resented people using the you clearly weren't at the game card so don't replicate on others.

Just because I have a small number of posts because I've only just got into this forum doesn't make me wrong. Been going to leicester since I was a young kid + actually think before I type poor, unreasonable comments about how bad our team is after losing 1 game.

Please stop trying to come up with witty put downs (your really bad at it). Awkwardly I didn't resent top set children at school because I'm still at school. Don't try and make me out to be thick.

Because sooner or later, bad performances catch up with you and you lose to people like Doncaster, oh look, that just happened.

It's as if you're a bad fan on this forum if you have a tiny bit of critique and don't walk the streets as if we're unbeatable.

Who cares how we have started the season, seriously, who gives a flying boot, it's how we will finish the season, bad performances will catch up with us and that will be our downfall come the end.

If I'm wrong, I'll meet you by the open top parade and be singing as loud as the 'good fans' but allow us to have our doubts in October please.

I just don't understand how you can perceive our midfield to be so bad. Hardly a tiny bit of critique if you start a whole new thread hammering each of our central midfielders. At the start of the season, it's always nice to start the season well. There would be a lot more for people to worry about if we had had Bolton's start. Most think midfield has been strong this year after looking shaky last time around since Early February (I would even agree with some of your comments about DD last year but not so now) and is beginning to gel as unit now. Not perfect but nothing like as shoddy as you claim.

This could take a while... So,

Kings passing rate - I'd be worried if Wes Morgan couldn't latch on to his AMAZING DISTRIBUTION...

Drinkwater unlocking defences - Passing to Koncheskey and Dyer and the odd hit and hope to RDL is not unlocking defences. The amount of times Drinkwater has the ball per game, he should be doing so much more if he is the player some proclaim him to be. He has done his part with the goals this season, fair enough, not knocking him for that but his backwards passing is an issue. No point in you trying to change my mind on that because you can't. Retaining possession is important when nothing is available infront. I would be the first to moan should our midfield hit aimless balls forward. Drinkwater especially goes backwards ALL THE TIME!

If your honest opinion is that teams do not run through the middle of us then I'm not going to bother arguing with you. I haven't got the footage to prove it, but it happens and it happens every game. We also probably concede the most long range shots in the division. Why? NO PRESSURE.

We dominated, we lost 1-0, created barely nothing... Yep, midfield not to blame...

I'm interested to know how often you go to games, Living the US i guess not too much... so i stand by my first assessment of your in-accurate original post, that you are an idiot and to be quite honest, support likes yours we certainly do not need.

I'm interested to know how often you go to games, Living the US i guess not too much... so i stand by my first assessment of your in-accurate original post, that you are an idiot and to be quite honest, support likes yours we certainly do not need.

I'm trolling your ass from beyond the grave because I'm the Man In Black!!

Season ticket holder + get to away games where possible. I get to around 60-70% of the games a season + always listen to or watch the remaining games. Kind of justifies the "manure" I'm typing which most people seem to be agreeing with. You have resented people using the you clearly weren't at the game card so don't replicate on others.

Just because I have a small number of posts because I've only just got into this forum doesn't make me wrong. Been going to leicester since I was a young kid + actually think before I type poor, unreasonable comments about how bad our team is after losing 1 game.

Please stop trying to come up with witty put downs (your really bad at it). Awkwardly I didn't resent top set children at school because I'm still at school. Don't try and make me out to be thick.

I just don't understand how you can perceive our midfield to be so bad. Hardly a tiny bit of critique if you start a whole new thread hammering each of our central midfielders. At the start of the season, it's always nice to start the season well. There would be a lot more for people to worry about if we had had Bolton's start. Most think midfield has been strong this year after looking shaky last time around since Early February (I would even agree with some of your comments about DD last year but not so now) and is beginning to gel as unit now. Not perfect but nothing like as shoddy as you claim.

I apologise young squire for doubting your credentials, you are clearly a boy who loves your team, a trait to be admired. This does not however shield you from being a tit on this forum.

You, like most, obviously didn't read my notes section about this not being an overreation to one game... These were typed for a purpose.

If we are to proclaim how much of a 'good fan' we are then I will also state that I am a ST holder and go to numerous away games. Yay for me.

I percieve our midfield to be bad because it has its flaws, it's not perfect, it's also not abysmal as has been conveniently unnoticed in my original post as others compile their gang mentality responses.

Drinkwater for example has weighed in with a few good goals, credit to him but that, for me, is overshadowed my his negative approach to the game, his lack of pressure on the ball and also looking like a bit of an eejit, hardly an endearing character I'd say.

I may not be liked on here, and that eats away at me night and day but I am right, in my own mind, as you are in yours so eat my shorts.

I apologise young squire for doubting your credentials, you are clearly a boy who loves your team, a trait to be admired. This does not however shield you from being a tit on this forum.

You, like most, obviously didn't read my notes section about this not being an overreation to one game... These were typed for a purpose.

If we are to proclaim how much of a 'good fan' we are then I will also state that I am a ST holder and go to numerous away games. Yay for me.

I percieve our midfield to be bad because it has its flaws, it's not perfect, it's also not abysmal as has been conveniently unnoticed in my original post as others compile their gang mentality responses.

Drinkwater for example has weighed in with a few good goals, credit to him but that, for me, is overshadowed my his negative approach to the game, his lack of pressure on the ball and also looking like a bit of an eejit, hardly an endearing character I'd say.

I may not be liked on here, and that eats away at me night and day but I am right, in my own mind, as you are in yours so eat my shorts.

"Pressure on the ball" you quite clearly know what you are talking about......

You're entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else on here and I find it an interesting one and one thats shared by many. I can only go on what I see and in all the highlights on the FLS and my one game so far this season at Yeovil, I have to say that I havent seen any of the Drinkwater passing backwards you mention. Against Yeovil I thought he was quite positive going forward.

Last season he was definitely guilty of the things you say but so far this season I havent seen any evidence of that. I'm going home for the Bournemouth game so will see then.

Archived