Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Midfield

Toothless - Spineless - Backwards - Sideways - Inept at times.

How many games per season does King really have a good game? We all know he is a good player with a nice touch, eye for goal and has the club at heart but how often does he 'bring it'?

Will Drinkwater ever pass forward? I understand the importance of retaining possession, patient football and building from the back but his instant reaction to reaction to receiving the ball is to pass to either Koncheskey or Morgan.

Teams run through our midfield on a regular basis without a touch or a push or ANY pressure at all.

King, Drinkwater and James are all the same player who play the same way. They offer very little going forward and in defence. No drive, no determination, nothing. All they do is pass the buck to the next man.

This was the reason we lost yesterday.

Notes:

- Not an overreaction to yesterday

- My thoughts for a long time

- Enjoying ripping my arguement apart and betending everything is okay.

How many games per season does King really have a good game? We all know he is a good player with a nice touch, eye for goal and has the club at heart but how often does he 'bring it'?

Will Drinkwater ever pass forward? I understand the importance of retaining possession, patient football and building from the back but his instant reaction to reaction to receiving the ball is to pass to either Koncheskey or Morgan.

Teams run through our midfield on a regular basis without a touch or a push or ANY pressure at all.

King, Drinkwater and James are all the same player who play the same way. They offer very little going forward and in defence. No drive, no determination, nothing. All they do is pass the buck to the next man.

Notes:

To be fair, I think we lost because we played right into Doncaster's arms. We just kept knocking the ball long right into Jones. Did it work? No. Will it ever work? No.

If we would have kept the ball on the floor, I do believe we would have had more chances. I've seen it before. Jones isn't a technically gifted footballer, pace would have beat him, but what did we keep doing? Oh yeah, put the ball right on his head giving Nugent and Vardy no chance.

Our midfield needed to be more intelligent yesterday, especially. People bang on here about how King has somesort of footballing brain, I'm not denying that, but I didn't see it yesterday. I didn't see it from any of them.

What I've never understood is one of the first players he signed for Hull was Robert Koren, a creative central midfielder. Why with more funds available here since he returned has he not signed a similar player? He's gone out and bought Drinkwater, James and then Hammond who are all similar players. I appreciate he signed Knockaert and Pearson's tactics only allow for 1 creative player but we're crying out for more than a box to box midfielder in the middle.

4-4-2 will work at home more than it will away, it will work away from home sometimes as well, but in games like yesterday for instance it just didn't. We have seen at home, how Pearson brings on an extra body in midfield for the final ten minutes and goes 4-3-3, to shore up the midfield. My question is, why didn't he do that yesterday as well? He had two central midfielders on the bench and neither came on, that to me is awful management. 

And if we are to go 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 away from home, I would honestly like to see Andy King being allowed to push forward, we seen what he can do in terms of creating, with that awesome through ball for Dyer against Wigan wasn't it? He is the closest thing we have to a Robert Koren say, he is a goalscoring midfielder, take the 2010/11 season for instance, King finished as our top goalscorer. He is a player who can shoot from range, he is a player who can head into the box and score various goals whether with his feet or head. 

Then we would have Drinkwater, James or Hammond who are capable to sit back, and push forward when given the chance, and to defend and win balls & start and break attacks. People were banging on about having a more defensive minded midfielder in our team, we now have that in Hammond, and I believe we would have that more creative and goalscoring midfielder if Andy King was allowed to push forward more, basically being allowed to play as an attacking midfielder. 

All we lack is options out wide, when Dyer or Knockaert have a poor game say, who do we have to bring on, who can really make a difference? Taylor-Fletcher will just be used a bit part player, we have Schlupp who really is a striker, get someone in on loan and it will solve a problem. 

What I've never understood is one of the first players he signed for Hull was Robert Koren, a creative central midfielder. Why with more funds available here since he returned has he not signed a similar player? He's gone out and bought Drinkwater, James and then Hammond who are all similar players. I appreciate he signed Knockaert and Pearson's tactics only allow for 1 creative player but we're crying out for more than a box to box midfielder in the middle.

To be fair, Drinkwater looked very creative at Barnsley.

Dyer wasn't playing well and Schlupp didn't get a touch, so it was basically like playing with ten men and no left winger. Our only option was to go straight through the middle where Vardy and Nuge were crowded out, right to Knocky for him to win a throw in which was then cleared, or back and left to Konch who would then loop in a crap cross which was cleared.

What we needed more than anything yesterday was a threat down the left.

Agree on Drinkwater though, far too many backwards passes.

With this squad I'd always put an extra man in midfield away from home, but can understand why he went 4-4-2 yesterday. We were in good form against a struggling team. If he had changed it and we'd lost people would probably say why did he change from 4-4-2 it was working so well; he's tactically clueless.

With this squad I'd always put an extra man in midfield away from home, but can understand why he went 4-4-2 yesterday. We were in good form against a struggling team. If he had changed it and we'd lost people would probably say why did he change from 4-4-2 it was working so well; he's tactically clueless.

Was having this discussion in the pub last night.

I've NEVER understood this 'don't change a winning side' mentality.

Yes you do. As a football manager, you earn your corn by playing the right players in the right formation to beat the opposition in front of you.

All the top sides and most successful sides rotate when they are setting up against their opposition.

There is no reason why, for example, James couldn't have come in for King yesterday, Wood for Nugent etc etc.

If Pearson felt that he HAD picked his best team and formation to win at Donny then, I'm afraid he got it wrong.

Hmm.

Drinkwaters scored 3, won a pen and hit the post in the first 10 games. But he plays the ball back a couple of times a game so he does it ALL the time.

You know what? Have your moment. Take the next 2 weeks to revel in the defeat and make whatever stupid point you want. After the international break we'll be back to winning ways and you'll have to wait another 5 games to post about how shit we are.

Once again, hindsight is a bloody wonderful thing isn't it.

Was having this discussion in the pub last night.
I've NEVER understood this 'don't change a winning side' mentality.
Yes you do. As a football manager, you earn your corn by playing the right players in the right formation to beat the opposition in front of you.
All the top sides and most successful sides rotate when they are setting up against their opposition.
There is no reason why, for example, James couldn't have come in for King yesterday, Wood for Nugent etc etc.
If Pearson felt that he HAD picked his best team and formation to win at Donny then, I'm afraid he got it wrong.

You actually think that managers don't actually set up with what they think is their best team. Especially when, you know, the same plsyers just won 5 and drawn 1 of their last 6.

It's so easy to sit their chirping up after the fact. But the same team was raved about by many Yeovil fans, and out of all the top teams they have seen they said we were the best to go there.

We were in good form home AND away and frankly there was really no reason to change the team before the game. Changes during the game, well that's a different story.

Once again, hindsight is a bloody wonderful thing isn't it.

You actually think that managers don't actually set up with what they think is their best team. Especially when, you know, the same plsyers just won 5 and drawn 1 of their last 6.

It's so easy to sit their chirping up after the fact. But the same team was raved about by many Yeovil fans, and out of all the top teams they have seen they said we were the best to go there.

We were in good form home AND away and frankly there was really no reason to change the team before the game. Changes during the game, well that's a different story.

Eh up Babs! Where you been?

If you care to look BEFORE the game I said we needed to shake it up and change the formation...

:thumbup:

Good to see you back buddy...

Eh up Babs! Where you been?

If you care to look BEFORE the game I said we needed to shake it up and change the formation...

:thumbup:

Good to see you back buddy...

Self imposed exile, had enough of the place.

That may be the case, but there is nothing to show that the result would have been any different even with a changed team is there?

We were changing the team/formation around quite a bit early in the season and performances were sketchy, we'd looked better with this settled team in the 4-4-2.

I'd be more concerned with subs / tactics during the game than the starting team, as little was done to try and alter it.

Notes:

Blimey , when I read the first line  , I thought I was in the Bernie thread.

Who else in our league would you have instead of King and Drinkwater, because there are not too many.  Derby fans say Will Hughes is too lightweight, Brighton fans say Bridcutt hasn't enough creativity and doesn't score enough, Millwall fans say that Trotter is far too inconsistent. Also normally when you bring a more creative player in to your side, you lose that element of workrate.

Who else in our league would you have instead of King and Drinkwater, because there are not too many. Derby fans say Will Hughes is too lightweight, Brighton fans say Bridcutt hasn't enough creativity and doesn't score enough, Millwall fans say that Trotter is far too inconsistent. Also normally when you bring a more creative player in to your side, you lose that element of workrate.

I hate to say it but again 'Uncle Arry' has got it about spot on at QPR.

It's no coincidence their defence aren't leaking goals. Hill and Dunne, though good, solid defenders are about 33/34 aren't they?

They are so helped out by the midfield in front of them. The signing of Karl Henry (a player I always thought a dirty bastad and distinctively average in a Wolves shirt) is turning out to be an inspired one.

As a defensive UNIT, QPR are a very solid side at this level.

It's this defensive 'unit' that I've been talking about at City, in terms of developing one. Solid, strong, soak up pressure and then start to impose our game onto the opposition. For me, this is why QPR are pretty much nailed-on this season. They won't lose many away.

For what I'm on about, study West Ham's win away today at Spurs. Big Sam (not usually known for his tactical prowess), packed the midfield, thwarted Spurs attacks and then broke with pace on the break. Superb tactical change that worked beautifully.

"King, Drinkwater and James are all the same player who play the same way. They offer very little going forward and in defence".

Wow! That might be the worst thing I've ever read. Clearly all 3. Are very different. King being more attacking, drinkwater more creative with his passing on the ball and James being combative. To say king offers nothing going forward is f**king stupid as he has scored around 50 goals for the club and in my opinion is the only player in midfield (I'd throw vardy in there too) capable of scoring 12+ goals a season. We need another wide option. A powerful winger who can score his fair share of goals. Someone with dyers pace and some of knocks trickery but with more power. Bakary sako is exactly the player we need. Those 3 as options out wide would be good. The four CMs we have are more than capable of achieving promotion (one has already captained his team in doing so). Talk about keep the faith.

I hate to say it but again 'Uncle Arry' has got it about spot on at QPR.

It's no coincidence their defence aren't leaking goals. Hill and Dunne, though good, solid defenders are about 33/34 aren't they?

They are so helped out by the midfield in front of them. The signing of Karl Henry (a player I always thought a dirty bastad and distinctively average in a Wolves shirt) is turning out to be an inspired one.

As a defensive UNIT, QPR are a very solid side at this level.

It's this defensive 'unit' that I've been talking about at City, in terms of developing one. Solid, strong, soak up pressure and then start to impose our game onto the opposition. For me, this is why QPR are pretty much nailed-on this season. They won't lose many away.

All players we could not and cannot afford. They are only a few points ahead of us yet have a far more expensive squad.

"King, Drinkwater and James are all the same player who play the same way. They offer very little going forward and in defence".

Wow! That might be the worst thing I've ever read. Clearly all 3. Are very different. King being more attacking, drinkwater more creative with his passing on the ball and James being combative. To say king offers nothing going forward is f**king stupid as he has scored around 50 goals for the club and in my opinion is the only player in midfield (I'd throw vardy in there too) capable of scoring 12+ goals a season. We need another wide option. A powerful winger who can score his fair share of goals. Someone with dyers pace and some of knocks trickery but with more power. Bakary sako is exactly the player we need. Those 3 as options out wide would be good. The four CMs we have are more than capable of achieving promotion (one has already captained his team in doing so). Talk about keep the faith.

Vardy is a midfielder? Interesting.

I said how often does King 'bring it', I didn't say he was useless. Drinkwater creative? How many key passes does he make per game? James combative? You make me lol.

Archived