Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Midfield

Hmm.

Drinkwaters scored 3, won a pen and hit the post in the first 10 games. But he plays the ball back a couple of times a game so he does it ALL the time.

You know what? Have your moment. Take the next 2 weeks to revel in the defeat and make whatever stupid point you want. After the international break we'll be back to winning ways and you'll have to wait another 5 games to post about how shit we are.

Couple of times per game? You enjoy listening on the radio then...

After the rage has left me and I return to this forum after a loss I actually do take slight comfort in knowing we have lost due to some of the reasons I bring up and get slated for whilst other are blind to the fact our deficiencies are present. Don't get me wrong, if you were to sit next to me at a game, I'm in now way hoping we lose but in truth I pity some of the eejits on here. 

Would people rather Drinkwater give the ball away? It's called retaining possession. It's part of midfielders job.

Drinkwater has had a great start to the season.

Self imposed exile, had enough of the place.

Why would you come back now though?

Was it all too pleasant on here, now the idiots are back out the woodwork after one defeat, you've come back to be the voice of reason again?

I always thought you had a masochistic side.

Incidentally I, like Col, was also calling for NP to change it around before match, don't agree with never change a winning side, never have done never will do, but I'm not going to get too upset about our best start to a season for a long long time. I just wish Pearson would use the squad more.

Good to have you back.

On it's day, the midfield two is excellent. Very effective when it's up against another side playing 4-4-2 who don't have the ability to bully us.

But a pairing of Drinkwater and King doesn't provide any real strength and it doesn't offer anyone who can pick the ball up and run at the opposition.

Very good on its day (you could say that about a lot of things mind) but really, we're going to need to use James and Hammond at times also.

Decision to stick with what has been working is logical, the decision to not significantly change the way we were playing after half time was less logical and pumping the ball in high was pointless.

The long throws are a possible threat, but they werent on saturday and an occasional alternative may have at least put some more pressure on them.

Disappointing loss.

A bad performance get over it. So do we blame Pearson for Kasper's error? Drinkwater who doesn't get forward :blink:  shot goes in instead of rebounding out, Knocky's shot is a yard either side of their keeper and we are two up and not playing well. Too many players had off games but at least NP has brought in players to change the team around but again judging by the comments on here would he get blamed if he made 8/9 changes for the next game. 

I cannot believe some of the criticisms on here following a defeat. If you'd actually been to the game, you'd realise that the defeat was not because of:

Doncaster running through our midfield too easily (didn't happen)

Our midfield playing too many sideways balls (didn't happen)

We lost because Doncaster were gifted a goal very early on which set the tone for the game and changed their approach. Their sponsors' MOTM said afterwards that they knew if they got an early goal they could then sit back, soak up the pressure and try and catch us on the counter attack. This is EXACTLY how the game panned out.

Our midfield had a lot of possession, Drinkwater continued his very strong start to the season, particularly in the first half where he was our stand out player. I sat in the Directors box and we all agreed he'd had a good game. I'm more inclined to go with that opinion, rather than a negative fan like Jonny Cash for example who I doubt was at the game at all. Drinkwater also isn't a player who gets 'pushed around'. He's a tough little thing and I often find myself comparing him to Neil Lennon in the way he gets his body infront of the man to shield the ball/ win the ball. Of course, he's not quite the player Lennon was- are any midfielders in the championship? Not in my opinion. Drinkwater is a good player, he's scored a few goals this season too.

Andy King was awful on Saturday. A couple of times he pulled out of challenges. He didn't get forward like he usually does. All players have a poor game every now and then.

Doncaster defended very very well. They gave us no space down the flanks, everything was made to go through the middle which meant it was just too tight to create anything. Yes, top players will create something, top managers will change something tactically to change the way the game is going. We've done so this season- Bham at home springs to mind. Poor first half, no width. Half time Dyer and Knockaert come on and the game changed in our favour. It just never happened at Doncaster. I'll say it again, Doncaster defended very very well. Their players seem to have adopted their manager's playing style- never say die, don't give up on any ball etc. fair play to them.

The last 15 mins or so were poor from us- we gave up trying to pass our way through Doncaster, and resorted to lumping balls forward. So, although Nugent and Vardy didn't have great games, they never really stood a chance of scoring the equaliser whilst we were playing like that.

Just one of those days. No need to go so over the top about our perceived weaknesses. Someone even commented how well QPR had done signing Karl Henry? Check the stats- he barely gets a game for them. It's easy to look at other clubs and say you'd prefer this player, you'd prefer that player. Reality is, we've got some very good ones here at our club, with a good Manager too.

I hate to say it but again 'Uncle Arry' has got it about spot on at QPR.

It's no coincidence their defence aren't leaking goals. Hill and Dunne, though good, solid defenders are about 33/34 aren't they?

They are so helped out by the midfield in front of them. The signing of Karl Henry (a player I always thought a dirty bastad and distinctively average in a Wolves shirt) is turning out to be an inspired one.

As a defensive UNIT, QPR are a very solid side at this level.

It's this defensive 'unit' that I've been talking about at City, in terms of developing one. Solid, strong, soak up pressure and then start to impose our game onto the opposition. For me, this is why QPR are pretty much nailed-on this season. They won't lose many away.

For what I'm on about, study West Ham's win away today at Spurs. Big Sam (not usually known for his tactical prowess), packed the midfield, thwarted Spurs attacks and then broke with pace on the break. Superb tactical change that worked beautifully.

Karl Henry has barely played yet but i understand your point Col..

With regard to the Doncaster game though, it's obviously going to be more difficult for you central midfielders when teams sit in and defend in their own half. It makes it harder to penetrate and therefore there are bound to be a few sideways passes.. But what are people doing criticising Drinkwater!

He's been class for us this season and on Saturday its not his or King's fault when the defence start bypassing them and launching everything straight at the heads of Jones and Khumalo.

It's the only time all season so far when we've really failed to create something over 90 minutes, but Jesus it's not the end of the world. We've had a very good start and we'll be back after the break..

Would people rather Drinkwater give the ball away? It's called retaining possession. It's part of midfielders job.

Drinkwater has had a great start to the season.

YES YES YES!!!! Someone that agrees with me..... Well said Bert

I was at Donny on Saturday and there's no denying it was poor but this guy was our standout player. Maybe you ask why?

Because, he ALWAYS wants the ball, ALWAYS gets into space and tries everything to keep possession and link play for us.

A main point i noticed against Donny was how many times Drinkwater got hugely frustrated when looking forward that there was no pass for him so HAD to to go back...... On numerous occasions he had his palms to the sky asking for movement..... didnt happen plus maybe people forget his workrate and the tackling he put in near our own area..... and lets not forget, he came closest to scoring for us!!

Seriously guys, if your going to pick on a player (which in itself is daft) then pick on someone that is actually playing below standard.... MORONS!!!!!

Oh dear.  Good morning you little ray of sunshine.  You brighten my days.

You do realise we are 3rd in the league?  This is our best start in 11 years you know?  I am not saying that we have no areas to worry about or that we are a perfect team or, even, that we will finish in the top six (though I think we probably will) so before you try and say I am a Pearson Bummer or anything please read my post and not just react because it disagrees with your viewpoint.  Hang on Rumble, you are just reacting and disagreeing with the OP because his post differs from your viewpoint aren't you?  No.  No I am not.  I am reacting because it is ridiculous.

"Toothless - Spineless - Backwards - Sideways - Inept at times."

We may have issues and we may not be Munich but we are 3rd in the league and after one blip I think your observations are slightly over the top.  You may have some valid points to make but you destroy your own viewpoints by being such a negative Norris.  You do realise that no one reads yours posts and thanks "Wow, he just says what he sees, calls a spade a spade.  He's got guts, can I be his friend?  I bet he's packing an absolute donger between his legs".  No, they read your posts ad think "Bless him, probably a nice guy really but he's embarrassed himself a bit there".

The thing is, you are probably right that we were lightweight in midfield yesterday and it may be one of the reasons we lost but your post is certainly more negative than it needs to be and despite your denials this post is certainly a overreaction.

I know by biting I am probably just feeding your trolling but surely you really cannot be quite as negative as you appear?  Is life that bad?  Can we hug?  I have a tiny penis as we all know but I try and look on the bright side of life.  It's never as bad as it seems.

Listen, I'm trying to make a nice stew today, got it off Jamie Oliver's site.  It sounds nice.  Root vegetables, beef and sruff.  When you have little to no life like me you becoae quite a good cook as it fills the time.  Keeps the darkness from the door.  Now I have no real friends so I usually make a big vat of something then freeze it in little portions and eat it through the week.  How about you come round and we share a bit?  I'll even buy wine too.  Good sh1t 'n' all.   Blossom Hill.  We can talk about TV 'n' that and maybe play a game.  I have Scattergories?

Come on you Foxes!!!  Some of us still believe (not blindly, based on the fact we are 3rd, have a young team with scatterings of experience at this level and the signs are there we may have a successful season).

X

Why would you come back now though?

Because it would have been too easy to come back before now, plus I had no interest in it. Honestly I was much happier not posting on here so I'd imagine the return will only be temporary.

I understand people saying change it (keep the oppo guessing etc), but I also understand us keeping it the same as the team that according to Yeovil fans was the best they had seen this year. I just find it mildly annoying when people talk like the result wouldn't have happened had we made changes.

As I said I'm more concerned we did little to shake things up when it was clear playing against 11 men camped in their own half wasn't working with what we had.  They weren't better than us, and I think we had out best attacking players already out there, a change of shape might have been a better option that a change over haul of those on the pitch.

A fair amount of decent stuff on this thread.

QPR are doing well because they maintain possession through a number of proper midfield players, not lots of wingers. Three midfield in whatever formation, home or away, is what we need, with three attacking players. Three midfield from:- King, Drinkwater, James and Hammond. Three attackers from:- Nugent, Vardy, Knockaert, Wood, Dyer and Schlupp. THAT would be balanced.

That is what QPR are doing and Watford and I am assuming Burnley as well as every other Premiership and Championship team in the country. It ain't rocket science!

Last season Hull and Watford played 5-3-2 and were successful. Cardiff played 4-4-2 but with Whittingham as their left side player. He is a proper midfield player, not a winger.

With two strikers and two wingers there is always a danger that this will give, in simple terms, the feel of a 4-2-4 system that was popular with some clubs in the 70s, but was never successful.

We had 51% possession against Doncaster, in terms of one team wanting automatic promotion and the other just wishing to survive, that is disgraceful. QPR are not conceding because they control their games with possession. The more one team has the ball, the more chance they have of scoring, and the less chance of the other team scoring.

I am hoping that isn't too difficult for people to understand. However Pearson does not understand this basic concept.

Another point, 4-4-2 does not work against packed midfields and defenses. Wingers usually, especially Dyer, need space to use their pace. Dyer has no other recommendations going for him. Against Barnsley, he was moved into the middle in the second half, which was OK. I would prefer to see Knocky play a roaming attacking role behind the strikers. Dyer could come on as an impact player from time to time. Also, some people have rightly observed that King could play in that role, which might work with Drinky, James and Hammond covering the space where overlapping full backs would provide the width.

We would have so many more attacking options if Dyer started on the bench AND we would retain more possession, AND concede fewer goals. Guess what we would win far more matches and get automatic promotion!

Too many players had off games but at least NP has brought in players to change the team around but again judging by the comments on here would he get blamed if he made 8/9 changes for the next game. 

You make changes one or two at a time.

He made massive changes for cup games last season and this, you don't give the new players a chance of they're thrown in with a bunch of players who haven't played frst team football together before.

He's brought in experienced players which give us options and then choses not to use them.

Personally I'd change a winning side if I thought that I had a better side for the next game ....

However I've seen managers constantly lambasted on here for doing exactly that - Sven got loads for "tinkering".

NP got loads for playing fringe players in the cup!!!!

Maybe he thought that the side was the strongest he could field.

Not sure why people are slating the team so much. Why do we have to have this mass inquest as to who's inept, missing, or deluded this time? Can it not just be a possibility that on Saturday, one or two just didn't play very well? 

I imagine that Kasper's howler put the guys off. Sounded on the radio as though we were doing alright in terms of containing Doncaster. 

Don't push panic yet guys! We have been treated to some really good football this season so far, and even when not - we've been winning games.

That said, it's not all clicked in to place yet this season for me. Against Wigan I saw some real potential for an awesome attacking side. We could do with cutting out lapses in concentration. 

Personally I'd change a winning side if I thought that I had a better side for the next game ....

However I've seen managers constantly lambasted on here for doing exactly that - Sven got loads for "tinkering".

NP got loads for playing fringe players in the cup!!!!

Maybe he thought that the side was the strongest he could field.

Damned if you do and.... well you know the rest.

I'll be concerned if there are a run of games like the Donny one and he doesn't change things, not by a result in isolation like this. We're going to play badly and lose, sometimes when the team has changed and sometimes when it hasn't. People need to accept that! And before people chirp up, that doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on where we went wrong, but the air of "if we'd changed it we'd not have lost" floating about is a bit unfair.

He has shown a willingness to change things around much quicker this year, something I moaned about last year.  I actually think he'd start that 11 for the next away game, but if they fail to perform again he'd make the change.

Damned if you do and.... well you know the rest.

I'll be concerned if there are a run of games like the Donny one and he doesn't change things, not by a result in isolation like this. We're going to play badly and lose, sometimes when the team has changed and sometimes when it hasn't. People need to accept that! And before people chirp up, that doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on where we went wrong, but the air of "if we'd changed it we'd not have lost" floating about is a bit unfair.

He has shown a willingness to change things around much quicker this year, something I moaned about last year.  I actually think he'd start that 11 for the next away game, but if they fail to perform again he'd make the change.

We have not exactly made the lights shine brighter in our recent matches. We have lost to a poor side and struggled against other poor sides. Why wait until we've lost a number of games against poor opposition before changing things. FFS make the changes now Pearson, what the effin eck are you waiting for. If you do not know what to do get in touch with me or at least 50% of the folk on this site who have more idea than you OR hand your notice in and get a job with a club who are more your level! 

We have not exactly made the lights shine brighter in our recent matches. We have lost to a poor side and struggled against other poor sides. Why wait until we've lost a number of games against poor opposition before changing things. FFS make the changes now Pearson, what the effin eck are you waiting for. If you do not know what to do get in touch with me or at least 50% of the folk on this site who have more idea than you OR hand your notice in and get a job with a club who are more your level!

What is his level?

Because he's clearly better than League 1 and definitely adequate in this league.

Well many of the fans from Yeovil said we were the best team they had played this year (look who they have played). I wouldn't call that a struggle. I wouldn't say we struggled against Barnsley either, I thought we were quite professional until the last 15 minutes and were by far the better team. Wigan we were the better team as we were against Blackburn and Birmingham.  The last time we really actually struggled was 8 games ago against Charlton away.

Vardy is a midfielder? Interesting.

I said how often does King 'bring it', I didn't say he was useless. Drinkwater creative? How many key passes does he make per game? James combative? You make me lol.

I know vardy is a striker, hence why I put him in brackets. Don't try to mug people off as morons when you've completely misunderstood a simple sentence clause.

I also did not say you said King was useless. I disagreed with why you said he was ineffective or 'didn't bring it' going forwards drinkwater is a creative player averages a good 8-12 assists per season if you take his loan spells at other clubs as well as us. He also bring the fills backs into play really well and has looked so much better this season than last. Matty James is a combative central defensive midfielder and has been developed at man utd to play that role. that's why Pearson bought him if you listen to the interview from when he first signed. When he came into the team last season we looked at lot stronger in the middle - might be to do with his defensive style of game don't you think? Which championships trio would you rather have? Not many teams have 3 players of their quality with an experienced pro like Hammond to come in as well. Some fans....

Well many of the fans from Yeovil said we were the best team they had played this year (look who they have played). I wouldn't call that a struggle. I wouldn't say we struggled against Barnsley either, I thought we were quite professional until the last 15 minutes and were by far the better team. Wigan we were the better team as we were against Blackburn and Birmingham.  The last time we really actually struggled was 8 games ago against Charlton away.

Completely agree with this! Illogical to think a team in 3rd could be playing that badly. If not I'd love to see some of the scores when we stop "struggling".

Completely agree with this! Illogical to think a team in 3rd could be playing that badly. If not I'd love to see some of the scores when we stop "struggling".

But we are not playing as well as teams that the pundits see on TV are we. And what is really getting my goat is the the Leicester fans who are fing experts on QPR who !!! We have limations and they have been exposed, maybe 352 will return after the break with the new signings playing a part and it will work better than at the start of the season.

But we are not playing as well as teams that the pundits see on TV are we. And what is really getting my goat is the the Leicester fans who are fing experts on QPR who !!! We have limations and they have been exposed, maybe 352 will return after the break with the new signings playing a part and it will work better than at the start of the season.

We've been "lucky" with pennos, yet QPR (three pennos in last three games) are the dogs dangling bits.

We've "not been tested against top half teams" (played 4 in top half), where as QPR are sweeping all aside (played 1 in top half).

Are we perfect, no. Are there things we can improve, of course. There seems to be a lack of perspective from some on here though.

Archived