Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

I'm not really sure that there's a category to place it in. Funny? Horrible? Pro karaoke? Pub singalong? Actually, I rekcon Moz (of old) may have quite liked the latter. Cripes knows what he'd say these days. 

Having attended maybe 4 or 5 Smiths' concerts back in the day, singalong always seemed an important part. So maybe that's the most treasured kind of homage regardless of who leads the chorus.

Edited by drumbeat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got round to reading Johnny Marr's autobiography. It's an easier read than Morrissey's, that's for sure.

It's amazing that he was 23 when the Smiths ended isn't it? I haven't loved everything he's done since by any means, but he's really earned the right to do what the heck he likes now, hasn't he?

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Finally got round to reading Johnny Marr's autobiography. It's an easier read than Morrissey's, that's for sure.

It's amazing that he was 23 when the Smiths ended isn't it? I haven't loved everything he's done since by any means, but he's really earned the right to do what the heck he likes now, hasn't he?

I've read before he didn't know what to do, as he left a band so young, so asked Paul McCartney for advice.

I'm a big Marr fan. All his solo records are strong. Morrissey's early solo stuff was good but now Marr is doing much better stuff.

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I've read before he didn't know what to do, as he left a band so young, so asked Paul McCartney for advice.

I'm a big Marr fan. All his solo records are strong. Morrissey's early solo stuff was good but now Marr is doing much better stuff.

And all Paul McCartney had to say about it was "that's bands for ya".

I revere Johnny Marr as a guitarist and creator of music above all others, but when he sings and writes lyrics it passes me by completely, to the point where I think I own most of the records he's played on but none of his solo work apart from one Healers single

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

And all Paul McCartney had to say about it was "that's bands for ya".

I revere Johnny Marr as a guitarist and creator of music above all others, but when he sings and writes lyrics it passes me by completely, to the point where I think I own most of the records he's played on but none of his solo work apart from one Healers single

This one?

One of my favourites of his.

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think so. I bought it when it came out, largely out of a sense of duty.

He plays guitar like nobody else, but his singing and words to me are like everybody else, if that makes sense

Boomslang was the LP. Not much to shout about on there apart from that single. 

Yeah, understandable. He’s obviously always going to be compared to Morrissey. So in terms of lyrics he’s never going to win that battle. Electronic was his best post-Smiths project, but I quite like his recent solo stuff fwiw.

8 minutes ago, baylisslcfc said:

Boomslang was the LP. Not much to shout about on there apart from that single. 

Yeah, understandable. He’s obviously always going to be compared to Morrissey. So in terms of lyrics he’s never going to win that battle. Electronic was his best post-Smiths project, but I quite like his recent solo stuff fwiw.

He's done so much great stuff that he's under zero pressure to bend to anyone's expectations and having read about what hard work being in The Smiths was I can see why he wants to do things on his own terms.

That first Electronic album is a belter. I know it wasn't on the original release but the guitar work on the full version of 'Getting Away With it' is some of his best imo

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 12:34, Bellend Sebastian said:

Further reduces the chances of a Smiths reunion, which can only be a good thing

There were never really any "chances" of a Smiths reunion to reduce. Although, Marr does discuss a very positive meeting with Morrisey in a pub back in 2008 when they did after a few drinks and hours in conversation entertain the idea. “Morrissey and I continued our dialogue and planned to meet up again. I went to Mexico with the Cribs, and then suddenly there was radio silence. Our communication ended, and things went back to how they were and how I expect they always will be."

Also any Smiths reunion would have consisted of Morrisey and Marr (and possibly Rourke who has guested and remains close friends with JM). Absolutely zero chance that Morrisey would share a stage, let alone the same venue or city as Mike Joyce.  

7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

There were never really any "chances" of a Smiths reunion to reduce. Although, Marr does discuss a very positive meeting with Morrisey in a pub back in 2008 when they did after a few drinks and hours in conversation entertain the idea. “Morrissey and I continued our dialogue and planned to meet up again. I went to Mexico with the Cribs, and then suddenly there was radio silence. Our communication ended, and things went back to how they were and how I expect they always will be."

Also any Smiths reunion would have consisted of Morrisey and Marr (and possibly Rourke who has guested and remains close friends with JM). Absolutely zero chance that Morrisey would share a stage, let alone the same venue or city as Mike Joyce.  

I dunno, the money gets so silly sometimes with these things that it gets to the point that any hatchet can be buried temporarily.

I was reading the other day that when the Police reformed Andy Summers was getting a million quid a night, which he thought probably made him the highest paid guitarist ever, although The Smiths were never in their league commercially, of course.

I can't believe the 2008 meeting was that serious, Morrissey can barely get it together to release an album, I don't think he could cope with the circus that a Smiths reunion would become.

I stand by what I've always said, I'd love there to be a Morrissey and Marr album, new material, no live performances, but I don't think that's any more likely.

To be honest, I was incredibly excited to see Alain Whyte back in Morrissey's band - if he's writing and recording with him again, that's great news

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I dunno, the money gets so silly sometimes with these things that it gets to the point that any hatchet can be buried temporarily.

I was reading the other day that when the Police reformed Andy Summers was getting a million quid a night, which he thought probably made him the highest paid guitarist ever, although The Smiths were never in their league commercially, of course.

I can't believe the 2008 meeting was that serious, Morrissey can barely get it together to release an album, I don't think he could cope with the circus that a Smiths reunion would become.

I must admit, I did say the same thing about The Police because I couldn't see how Copeland and Sting could every tolerate more than five seconds in each other's company, but as you say, financial incentive can be so great. I hate to see it though, you can't recreate a legendary band or dispel the 'sell out' feel around these reunions - and it taints the legacy so much. I am so pleased though that Waters and Gilmour buried the hatchet and together with Wright and Mason performed that brief set at Live8. Of course sales of the back catalogue soared as a result in the moths after, but at least it wasn't predicated by money - (no pun intended). 

20 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I stand by what I've always said, I'd love there to be a Morrissey and Marr album, new material, no live performances, but I don't think that's any more likely.

When hell freezes over...hang on a minute, The Eagles!

24 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

To be honest, I was incredibly excited to see Alain Whyte back in Morrissey's band - if he's writing and recording with him again, that's great news

Is he? Also reunited with Boz Boorer then. The best line up Morrisey had imo was 'Your Arsenal'. 

What's happened to Jesse Tobias then? 

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Is he? Also reunited with Boz Boorer then. The best line up Morrisey had imo was 'Your Arsenal'. 

What's happened to Jesse Tobias then? 

It was actually Boz Boorer's place that Alain Whyte took - I think I read something about it being COVID/travel related rather than anyone being kicked out. I'm sure he said they'd done some new material, but there's still a finished album waiting to be released so it'll be ages before that appears.

I love Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I, and although I was less impressed by Southpaw Grammar at the time, over the years I've come to appreciate that almost as much

• Like 1