Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

Barbarism Begins At Home? There's a great live version of that on YouTube (live in Madrid?) with Marr and Morrissey dancing while Andy Rourke funks it up on bass. Seriously love the bass in that song.

Yeah, I always forget its called that based on the bootleg where the artwork has it as 'a crack on the head' instead of Barbarism Begins At Home.  I think it's from the rockpalast bootleg.

• 2 weeks later...

Marr is releasing a live lp. Released next month. Very excited. Tracklist looks superb.

Managed to see him on his Playland tour, very good, and some of those are on the album. Saw him at Hyde Park this year too, he did "I fought the law" and that's on which is great because I was looking all over for his version after seeing him do it.

Edited by Fox92

• 4 weeks later...

Seen the Smiths twice (De Montfort Hall and Royal Concert Hall in Notts) and seen Mozz twice (Leeds and Hull). I have Mozz's sleeve from the Leeds gig framed with my gig ticket. Massive fan and I have everything they ever did on vinyl - even called my dog Morrissey. 

as for favourite tracks....well there are too many but her's a few that spring to mind:

Jean

Back to the Old House

Cemetery Gates

Meat is Murder

Rubber Ring

Still Ill

Shakespeare's Sister

There is a Light

Last night I dreamt

Suffer Little children

That joke isnt funny

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I got Johnny Marr's live album for Christmas yesterday. Very pleased, it's a good album actually. A few Smiths songs on there - his version of 'The Headmaster Ritual is my favourite. His cover of 'I fought the law' is on there too, which I've been after for ages now. He played it when I saw him in Hyde Park earlier in the summer and actually did a very good job of it.

Some of the songs were recorded when I saw him in Manchester.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Confirmed Johnny Marr's autobiography released November 3rd.

No doubt it'll be better than Morrissey's.

I expect it will be more coherent, but will it be more interesting?

Are you chaps suggesting that Mozza might be "devious, truculent and unreliable". If so, you might end up in court....though you might win the case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/209224.stm

"Morrissey lost his appeal against a £1m court order previously issued against him when the Court of Appeal ruled that the original High Court judge had not been unfair in describing the Smiths singer as "devious, truculent and unreliable". "  lol 

Edited by Alf Bentley

Are you chaps suggesting that Mozza might be "devious, truculent and unreliable". If so, you might end up in court....though you might win the case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/209224.stm

"Morrissey lost his appeal against a £1m court order previously issued against him when the Court of Appeal ruled that the original High Court judge had not been unfair in describing the Smiths singer as "devious, truculent and unreliable". " lol

If the judge had had any idea of how much of his autobiography would be dedicated to this court case, he would probably have jailed him for a very long time

If the judge had had any idea of how much of his autobiography would be dedicated to this court case, he would probably have jailed him for a very long time

lol

The bits about his childhood were great though. Couldn't put it down for the first 90-odd pages.

They'll definitely be more content about the Smiths in Marr's book though.

There's an interview with him regarding Morrissey's autobiography and he mentions lack of Smiths (can't link atm because YouTube is blocked at work).

Edited by Fox92

I'd love to read about how the records were made, and although it wouldn't be to everyone's tastes, for me it would be impossible to put too much detail in.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but fellow Smiths/Morrissey bores that haven't already done so should check out Julie Hamill's '15 Minutes With You', now a book (which unfortunately means the content is no longer on her website for the most part), which is basically interviews with people associated with Morrissey and the The Smiths, including producers, musicians, super fans and so forth.  Probably worth it for the heartbreaking interview with Vini Reilly (guitarist on Viva Hate) alone

• 6 months later...

Well there you go:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/29/johnny-marr-the-smiths-morrissey-simon-hattenstone

I have my doubts it would have been a good idea anyway. It's not like they need the money.

I stick by what I've always said, which is that I would welcome a Morrissey and Marr album of new material with open arms, but the idea of any sort of Smiths labeled reunion leaves me utterly cold

Marr still looks great.

He shows me his favourite – a tattoo that says 45rpm. Why 45rpm rather than 33rpm? “Faster, mate. Faster, shorter, better energy. :thumbup:

“David Cameron, stop saying that you like the Smiths. No you don’t. I forbid you to like it.”:thumbup:

• Like 1

On 30/10/2016 at 08:18, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well there you go:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/29/johnny-marr-the-smiths-morrissey-simon-hattenstone

I have my doubts it would have been a good idea anyway. It's not like they need the money.

I stick by what I've always said, which is that I would welcome a Morrissey and Marr album of new material with open arms, but the idea of any sort of Smiths labeled reunion leaves me utterly cold

As I've said before, I'm not a fan of reunions and, for me, great bands who have great legacy's should just leave it be. Whether it be The Smiths or The Jam or Oasis. 

Interesting read though. I didn't realise Morrissey and Marr still even spoke. I don't know much into the breakup of the band but I naturally thought Morrissey didn't really talk to the other three.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

As I've said before, I'm not a fan of reunions and, for me, great bands who have great legacy's should just leave it be. Whether it be The Smiths or The Jam or Oasis. 

Interesting read though. I didn't realise Morrissey and Marr still even spoke. I don't know much into the breakup of the band but I naturally thought Morrissey didn't really talk to the other three.

I think they've probably spent much more of the last 3 decades not talking, if you see what I mean. It fits the pattern of pretty much everybody who's described having a friendship with Morrissey - it's going great, and then, sometimes with no obvious reason, it just ends.

I think he's a profoundly talented man and apparently capable of being wonderful company, but more than a bit odd with it

• Like 1