Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

11 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

Sounds like the vocals from the original cover on the Sing Your Life b-side rehashed over a new backing track? Prefer the original cover I think. 

Fair play to the bloke, mind. There’s thousands of fans worldwide willing to buy any record he brings out. Nice little pay day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baylisslcfc said:

Sounds like the vocals from the original cover on the Sing Your Life b-side rehashed over a new backing track? Prefer the original cover I think. 

Fair play to the bloke, mind. There’s thousands of fans worldwide willing to buy any record he brings out. Nice little pay day!

Yeah have to agree that Weller does this one best 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah have to agree that Weller does this one best 

I was referencing Morrissey’s original cover of this from 1991 (same vocals.)

I do agree with your point — the original is brilliant. Undoubtedly one of the defining songs of the Mod revival.

• Like 2

Was too young to appreciate The Smiths in the 80s but a mate got me into them when they re-released stuff in the early 90s.

There Is A Light is my favouring song

Queen Is Dead is my favourite album

And as for my favourite lyrics....

"I was delayed, I was way-laid
An emergency stop
I smelt the last ten seconds of life
I crashed down on the crossbar
And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald, Buddhist reflect
And plan a mass murder"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, baylisslcfc said:

I've always thought that was an odd cover for him to do, and I bought that single at the time. Love the A-side, though - 

one of my favourites of his, that never gets played anywhere, ever

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've always thought that was an odd cover for him to do, and I bought that single at the time. Love the A-side, though - 

one of my favourites of his, that never gets played anywhere, ever

100%. Sing Your Life is definitely a highlight of his rockabilly era. I also like The Loop on the b-side of the SYL 12” single. 

There’s clearly a large quantity of music in his back catalogue — I’d argue that there’s quality in there too. Little outside of Morrissey’s widely recognised singles will ever get much airtime as The Smiths music is far more popular.

1 hour ago, baylisslcfc said:

100%. Sing Your Life is definitely a highlight of his rockabilly era. I also like The Loop on the b-side of the SYL 12” single. 

There’s clearly a large quantity of music in his back catalogue — I’d argue that there’s quality in there too. Little outside of Morrissey’s widely recognised singles will ever get much airtime as The Smiths music is far more popular.

Apart from the first 3 years of his solo career and a couple of years after his 2004 comeback he's been completely out of fashion since The Smiths split, really, hasn't he?

It's a shame really as I thought he was poised for national treasure status in the late 2000s but he's pissed in the well of public goodwill good and proper with some of what he's been coming out with.

I'm largely immune to it, and find it relatively easy to separate the art from the artist, but it makes it a bit tricky when you want to share with folk how good some of the stuff is

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The last night of the fair
By the big wheel generator
A boy is stabbed
His money is grabbed
And the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine

Like the version on Rank, where they start with Elvis Presley  (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame, then break in to Rusholme Ruffians

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Apart from the first 3 years of his solo career and a couple of years after his 2004 comeback he's been completely out of fashion since The Smiths split, really, hasn't he?

It's a shame really as I thought he was poised for national treasure status in the late 2000s but he's pissed in the well of public goodwill good and proper with some of what he's been coming out with.

I'm largely immune to it, and find it relatively easy to separate the art from the artist, but it makes it a bit tricky when you want to share with folk how good some of the stuff is

Yeah, that’s probably a fair assessment. 1988-94 (Viva Hate - Vauxhall and I) were probably his most relevant years, and as you say he came to a bit of prominence again with You Are the Quarry in 2004. There’s been some moments outside of that, but he’s blown hot and cold.

Yes, he’s no stranger to stirring the pot, and his statements in recent years have gone a bit strange to say the least! However, Morrissey’s politics have always been a key component of his art. It’s what made him such an interesting character to me. He’s always been overtly political, and I respect how he unashamedly states whatever he believes in, even if it cuts against the trend. Sometimes I think he hits the target, sometimes I think he misses. Like most things, it’s a matter of personal opinion. 

Some like yourself will find it easy to separate the two, others not so. I actually find it quite an interesting debate to as to whether you can separate the person and their politics from their art. People will continue to have strong opinions on him either way I’m sure!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I played the debut Smiths album yesterday for the first time in ages. God I enjoyed it. I think it remains their best album.

I then played random tracks before realising everything I played was either a b-side or extra 12 inch track. They absutely excelled in that. Genuinely hard to believe How Soon Is Now was an extra track on the William 12 inch.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Deebhoy said:

I played the debut Smiths album yesterday for the first time in ages. God I enjoyed it. I think it remains their best album.

I then played random tracks before realising everything I played was either a b-side or extra 12 inch track. They absutely excelled in that. Genuinely hard to believe How Soon Is Now was an extra track on the William 12 inch.

Have you heard the original troy tate mixes of their first album?  Some fans prefer it to the released LP.

• 6 months later...