Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Waghorn - staying at City ?

I'm really only concerned about what he does on the field in a Leicester shirt and whilst you offer evidence that Millwall fans have taken to him, he hasn't done much at Leicester since he earned a decent contract. He certainly isn't a £3million striker.

And playing for one of the worst teams in the league, who have worse distrubution and delivery than us...

Done well IMO...

I don't understand the idea that if a player goes to a bad club they should set the world alight...

Yes they should be the best player in that team individually (Which waghorn is/was) But that completely contradicts the opinion that our fans have on nugent "He's not had the support or the delivery"

So waghorn has?

If fans on here can say that nugent has been playing off scraps.. what the fvck has waghorn been playing off at millwall, one of the worst teams in the division...

Done a good job there.

Welcome him back for his LAST CHANCE.

Let's hope he gets his old form back, same with nugget

His 'old form' appeared once in 2009/10, his form in every subsequent season has been shite. We paid 3m pounds for him. THREE ****ING MILLION POUNDS. He's scored 8 goals. EIGHT. Thats nearly £350k a goal. I speak as a man who witnessed the combined powers of Ade Akinbiyi and Trevor Benjamin when I say he's probably not as good as Trevor Benjamin.

I must have fallen asleep at some point last season as I appear to have missed this golden patch of good form that Martyn experienced. I'm assuming it was during his glut of 3 goals in 22.

You're looking at the whole season though aren't you? And also not looking at the bigger picture. The work that Waggy gets through is incredible, and his non stop running creates opportunities for others. Now I'm not saying that he should go into the team, but I am saying that he is a perfectly reasonable back up option, should one of or first choice strikers be unavailable. Also, in the season when everybody was raving about him he only actually scored about 12 goals (I think) so he obviously isn't a prolific goal scorer. I assume those 22 appearances include sub appearances as well?

You're looking at the whole season though aren't you? And also not looking at the bigger picture. The work that Waggy gets through is incredible, and his non stop running creates opportunities for others. Now I'm not saying that he should go into the team, but I am saying that he is a perfectly reasonable back up option, should one of or first choice strikers be unavailable. Also, in the season when everybody was raving about him he only actually scored about 12 goals (I think) so he obviously isn't a prolific goal scorer. I assume those 22 appearances include sub appearances as well?

He gets though a lot of work because he hasn't got a ****ing clue what he's doing and his touch is so abysmally piss poor half his time is spent chasing the ball he has just miss controlled.

I'm really only concerned about what he does on the field in a Leicester shirt and whilst you offer evidence that Millwall fans have taken to him, he hasn't done much at Leicester since he earned a decent contract. He certainly isn't a £3million striker.

Not saying he is, but we're not going to get that £3,000,000 back are we? So it's irrelevant really.

The fact that Millwall could sign him, suggests to me, that his wages aren't ridiculous, so that's really the only expense now.

He hasn't had that many genuine chances at Leicester after signing permanently, he was played out of position when he first signed, two lengthy injuries cost him dearly. He has only really had one run where he's played regularly upfront as a striker and that was last year, during that spell we all agreed that he was one of our best players. Then he had his appendix out and we signed Wood and it was back to square one. Waghorn has been misused at Leicester from the moment we signed him. Sadly it looks like he'll walk away on a free.

Not saying he is, but we're not going to get that £3,000,000 back are we? So it's irrelevant really.

The fact that Millwall could sign him, suggests to me, that his wages aren't ridiculous, so that's really the only expense now.

He hasn't had that many genuine chances at Leicester after signing permanently, he was played out of position when he first signed, two lengthy injuries cost him dearly. He has only really had one run where he's played regularly upfront as a striker and that was last year, during that spell we all agreed that he was one of our best players. Then he had his appendix out and we signed Wood and it was back to square one. Waghorn has been misused at Leicester from the moment we signed him. Sadly it looks like he'll walk away on a free.

When did we all agree that?

Hang on when was this

When did we all agree that?

Hang on when was this

Okay we didn't all agree, but the MOTM voting DavieG ran certainly suggested that the vast majority thought he was our best player during that spell.

I agree completely.

So glad he has came back, give him a shot. Bring him on around the 60th minute for the next few games and then start him. Some of you have been harsh on Waggy. He's done well here. If strikers don't score enough goals they get slated. But if a striker helps the team out and the team scores enough goals what's the problem? Last season dropping Vardy and putting Waghorn in the team looked amazing. I'm not saying drop Vardy for him now but Waghorn is still young and needs a chance. If he does well and hits form maybe another one year contract is deserved. He didn't get in the England u21 side for nothing.

So glad he has came back, give him a shot. Bring him on around the 60th minute for the next few games and then start him. Some of you have been harsh on Waggy. He's done well here. If strikers don't score enough goals they get slated. But if a striker helps the team out and the team scores enough goals what's the problem? Last season dropping Vardy and putting Waghorn in the team looked amazing. I'm not saying drop Vardy for him now but Waghorn is still young and needs a chance. If he does well and hits form maybe another one year contract is deserved. He didn't get in the England u21 side for nothing.

Eight goals.

He clearly has had problems as Pearson was a fan of him, he has never showed any signs of being the player we had on loan. Last chance saloon and he will have to force his way in quickly from brief cameos, to have a future here.

I agree completely.

So do I.

Waghorn was comfortably our best player during the period of 5-7 games between coming back from injury and having his appendix out. He earned plaudits from many on here to national tv and radio pundits etc. he went on his best run of goal scoring form with 3 in that period ( I appreciate that isn't messi fantastic but it was unreasonable to expect much more of reintroduced player). Its amazing how many people missed that period - derby at home last year being his standout performance

I'm gonna say I doubted him before that brief spell but I think he reproved he has something to offer then and sure he can do it again now. He's a young lad who needs to be given a fair chance (in the right position) I think he has earned that much out on loan at millwall. He's played for England at u/19 and u/21 level so clearly has some quality and it's about getting the best out of him. Besides I'd rather have him coming off the bench than GTF and Schlupp like many others on here as well.

Twenty one starts, plenty of those on the wing, not in one long run in the team which would obviously have been beneficial. I think that eight goals isn't an awful return. I completely agree that he's not the type of player who is likely to make a huge impact coming off the bench, but with a run in the team he has a lot to offer. Certainly as much as Nugent has offered us so far this season (as long as we can find another competent penalty taker).

People say that he's had tons of chances, but he's only had two decent length runs in the team since he signed because of injuries, the first when he was used on the wing when he arrived and the second last year when he looked like one of our best player. Oh and he's 23 years old.

So do I.

Waghorn was comfortably our best player during the period of 5-7 games between coming back from injury and having his appendix out. He earned plaudits from many on here to national tv and radio pundits etc. he went on his best run of goal scoring form with 3 in that period ( I appreciate that isn't messi fantastic but it was unreasonable to expect much more of reintroduced player). Its amazing how many people missed that period - derby at home last year being his standout performance

I'm gonna say I doubted him before that brief spell but I think he reproved he has something to offer then and sure he can do it again now. He's a young lad who needs to be given a fair chance (in the right position) I think he has earned that much out on loan at millwall. He's played for England at u/19 and u/21 level so clearly has some quality and it's about getting the best out of him. Besides I'd rather have him coming off the bench than GTF and Schlupp like many others on here as well.

That 5 - 7 game period was actually 10 games

He started against Brum on October 20th (I think all present will fondly remember him scooping the ball over the bar from a couple of yards out) and started most games until December 8th. He didn't actually score until the 6th game of that 'excellent run' in the 6-0 demolition of Ipswich.

GTF ahead of waghorn any day

Similar players granted but waghorn is faster, stronger, more powerful, more mobile and a "better finish" (they're both pretty average tbf). Don't get me wrong I like GTF as an impact sub and he takes waghorn comfortably on first touch and control and I think he has a part to play. But on a versatility as player who can be utilised as a lead or support striker, the best on form and the best player to get us out of the division for me it's - waghorn > GTF. As for schlupp he needs a loan spell to get up to speed and sharp.

Twenty one starts, plenty of those on the wing, not in one long run in the team which would obviously have been beneficial. I think that eight goals isn't an awful return. I completely agree that he's not the type of player who is likely to make a huge impact coming off the bench, but with a run in the team he has a lot to offer. Certainly as much as Nugent has offered us so far this season (as long as we can find another competent penalty taker).

People say that he's had tons of chances, but he's only had two decent length runs in the team since he signed because of injuries, the first when he was used on the wing when he arrived and the second last year when he looked like one of our best player. Oh and he's 23 years old.

There is a very good reason he play on the wing and that is because he's not very good up front. Sousa played him on the wing, Sven played him on the wing, Pearson played him on the wing, Lomas played him on the wing...

He's gone on record as saying he'll only play upfront, as he likes to play on the right hand side of a front 2 (even though he is left footed) he aint going to be playing any time soon.

Archived