Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Waghorn - staying at City ?

Have you put Waghorn's cock in your mouth? Yup.

With reference to Yakubu, I believe I was replying to someone else and merely stated two opinions. You have chosen to believe (somewhat arrogantly) that I was referring to you, I wasn't.

Classy.

As I was the only person to make any mention of Yakubu I figured it was a safe bet.

I would rather have him over Taylor-Fletcher and Schlupp any day. If you stick one of those three on towards an end of the game, I would say Waghorn would be the most likely one who will score. He had a little run in the side last season, and he scored a few decent goals, so that showed you, he was definitely more than capable of finding a bit of form again. He's had his shit spells, but we've got better strikers than him, but we've got much more worse one's as well.

Now I'm probably in Dickov22's Bad Books, but frankly I couldn't give a shit.

It's the lack being able to convert the many many chances this year that could be our ultimate downfall this season which is generally accepted. These may chances have been made out of good play by Vardy, Dyer and Knockheart plus a little help from a decent midfield. Though I have to admit he's shown a little more spark in the last couple of games, for me Nugent is the elephant in the room and if Wood had been fit, I personally would have dropped Nugent in an instant. Schlupp hasn't actually bust a gut when he's come on to stake a claim. Yakubu, however lazy, would have had a bucket full by now but that's not going to happen. Is it worth buying someone in January? To justify it I think they'd have to be better than what we've got and good enough for the Premiership, perhaps part funded by selling Nugent imo. As for Waghorn, I go with those who rate him and who think he could do a job, Nugent's not scoring anyway apart from penalties and until his last couple of games has been utter crap and contributed little. Waghorn for me has been unfortunate and at least with him compared with Nugent, you would get 90 minutes worth of effort and someone who's prepared to pull the trigger whereas Nugent continues to be trigger shy (sorry, he did nearly the corner flag the other day) and a mere shell of his former self in terms of effort.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

David Nugent      Leicester City       11

:xmasunsure:...

4 goals from open play is clearly what he meant.

Nugent has scored those goals, yes, but the attacking player should be able to score a penalty. I'm sure there are other competent penalty takers in the side. Again I'm not saying drop Nugent because right now he and Vardy are working well together and I genuinely don't think there's any real problem. But in terms of comparing Nugent's goal scoring ability to the other strikers in our team, the penalties are clouding things a little. Saying Nugent has 11 goals this season is a fact, but that doesn't really tell you the whole story.

4 goals from open play is clearly what he meant.

Nugent has scored those goals, yes, but the attacking player should be able to score a penalty. I'm sure there are other competent penalty takers in the side. Again I'm not saying drop Nugent because right now he and Vardy are working well together and I genuinely don't think there's any real problem. But in terms of comparing Nugent's goal scoring ability to the other strikers in our team, the penalties are clouding things a little. Saying Nugent has 12 goals this season is a fact, but that doesn't really tell you the whole story.

He just said goals, and whether from open play or the spot, they all count. Or, should we be calling for Pearson to go because we're in 11th? No - penalties count, we're in 1st. This discounting goals because you don't like the manner in which they're scored is pathetic and the mark of blinded retards.

Tell you what, Waghorns goals for us: One was against Ipswich, where anyone could have scored (and even Futacs did) so that doesn't count, one against Huddersfield where they were crap, so that doesn't count, one against Derby when we were overrunning them and even Whitbread scored, so that doesn't count, one against leeds, but in a game that meant nothing - doesn't count, tap-in vs Doncaster, but that doesn't work because he didn't do anything - and you see where I'm going? Has he scored 8 goals or 3? He's scored 8 - the manner or circumstances of the game mean **** all - likewise, Nugent has scored 11, not 4.

He just said goals, and whether from open play or the spot, they all count. Or, should we be calling for Pearson to go because we're in 11th? No - penalties count, we're in 1st. This discounting goals because you don't like the manner in which they're scored is pathetic and the mark of blinded retards.

Tell you what, Waghorns goals for us: One was against Ipswich, where anyone could have scored (and even Futacs did) so that doesn't count, one against Huddersfield where they were crap, so that doesn't count, one against Derby when we were overrunning them and even Whitbread scored, so that doesn't count, one against leeds, but in a game that meant nothing - doesn't count, tap-in vs Doncaster, but that doesn't work because he didn't do anything - and you see where I'm going? Has he scored 8 goals or 3? He's scored 8 - the manner or circumstances of the game mean **** all - likewise, Nugent has scored 11, not 4.

I'm not saying they don't count, I'm saying they're not particularly relevant to a discussion about his goal-scoring ability generally.

I'm not saying they don't count, I'm saying they're not particularly relevant to a discussion about his goal-scoring ability generally.

In that case, try reading before you open your mouth, because the poster I was responding to discounted his penalties and decided that only open play goals count.

At the end of the day, you've got to stick the penalty in the back of the net and there's a reason Nugent's taking them instead of, say, Dyer.

To be fair any striker should be able to put the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards, hence why most penalty takers are strikers or at least goal scoring midfielders. I'm pretty sure Wood was penalty taker towards the end of last season so i'm sure if he was playing he would have scored a similar amount to Nugent.

I don't get this Waghorn is shit argument, and I'm really glad he got a good reception coming on against Reading, because he isn't shit and could still have a place here. I also don't get those that say he was shit when he came on, he wasn't, was he amazing? No. He did some good things, carved out one decent chance for Vardy who got it stuck under his foot, won the ball back held it up and helped us see out the game, but there were some mistakes in there too. 

Last season he had a decent spell, not just about goal scoring (which I will come on to) but he was playing well, creating chances for others and himself, and we actually started looking dangerous from set pieces.

His goal scoring record isn't great, but then we seem to practice missing chances in training, and it is fair to judge him on it as a striker, and he and Nigel will know that for him to have a chance of having a career here he needs to put away his chances.

What frustrates me is the unnecessary criticism of him, he has had a pretty turbulent time since starting, 3 different managers, 3 loan spells, a number of injury problems, numerous striking partners and very few starts. Despite that he got called up to the U21s and was voted man of the match 3  times last season. What also frustrates me is the amount of games he could have played when instead we played Kane, Beckford, Kamara, Bednar.

I remember Vardy getting a similar amount of stick last season but an injury free run in the side this season and you can see the difference, as we would with Waghorn, so I will not judge him until he gets that, but I can't see that happening any time soon, and as much as I would like him to stay here and prove Mark_w right, I would probably take the money for him if offered by Millwall. 

I think Waghorn has had an incredibly bad treatment here actually. When he played for us in 09/10 (his loan season) he was quality and I think most people thought he would go on to fairly big things. Since we signed him he hasn't been given a fair chance at being first choice/second choice striker. Last season he started to hit form when getting a run of games, and then we signed Wood who came straight in and kept his place, despite going off the boil completely after a month or so, to me this didn't seem fair. I've always thought that Waggy can be a decent striker at this level, but he is clearly a confidence player. He needs games to get himself firing and unfortunately I don't think he'll get them here.

Can't ever remember thinking of Waghorn as a "quality" striker. Energetic, committed, willing to have a pop, yes, but not "quality". People like Derek Dougan and Frank Worthington were quality.  

If Waghorn had been a wind-up toy he'd have been a classic, perhaps even a best-seller. 

But as a striker he's too one-footed, lacks any real of aerial presence, has indifferent close control, is a fairly ordinary passer and is usually so keen to blast the ball into the net that he loses composure and hits the ball high and wide far more often than he hits the goal.

Three seasons after I saw these limitations I'd have expected some improvement. After all most of those problems are fairly easy to rectify.

If, during his time at Millwall, he's become a better player I'll happily acknowedge it, but I've never noticed any significant change as yet.

He's the sort of genuine, all-action, player who appeals to some people but strikers need to score goals and to have the techniques necessary to do that or the attitude that says I'll improve. 

So I'm not convinced. Useful squad member, yes. Genuine top of the table striker, no.

I'd be suprised but I suppose it may be because, as you suggest, he's never had a run of games, the chance to build partnerships and to adjust to the pace at the top of the Championship? After all it's taken Vardy a while. 

But whatever, we need a genuine goal-getter and I'll be delighted if Waghorn proves my scepticism wrong.     

Well , he may get his chance against Millwall with Vardy s yellow cards and him missing the next match.

Well, it will be either Waghorn or GTF.  Difficult to see who Pearson would prefer to start.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Waggie begin, as we all know strikers score against 'former clubs'!  .

WAGHORN IS SHIT!

WAGHORN IS USELESS!

WAGHORN COULDN'T HIT A COWS ARSE WITH A BANJO!

WAGHORN IS  A CONFERENCE STANDARD PLAYER AT BEST!

WAGGY, WAGGERS (whatever ****ing nickname you give him) SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER PLAY FOR LEICESTER CITY AGAIN!

WAGHORN DOES NOT HAVE POTENTIAL - HE'S 23 ****ING YEARS OLD - HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR POTENTIAL TO COME THROUGH?

WAGHORN IS NOT A USEFUL SQAUD MEMBER!

WAGHORN - HOW MANY ****ING EXCUSES ARE YOU PEOPLE GOING TO MAKE FOR HIM (he's had injuries, he's had 3 managers .... so have lots of ****ing players, he had that one "great" game against Derby)!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

WAGHORN IS SHIT!

WAGHORN IS USELESS!

WAGHORN COULDN'T HIT A COWS ARSE WITH A BANJO!

WAGHORN IS A CONFERENCE STANDARD PLAYER AT BEST!

WAGGY, WAGGERS (whatever ****ing nickname you give him) SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER PLAY FOR LEICESTER CITY AGAIN!

WAGHORN DOES NOT HAVE POTENTIAL - HE'S 23 ****ING YEARS OLD - HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR POTENTIAL TO COME THROUGH?

WAGHORN IS NOT A USEFUL SQAUD MEMBER!

WAGHORN - HOW MANY ****ING EXCUSES ARE YOU PEOPLE GOING TO MAKE FOR HIM (he's had injuries, he's had 3 managers .... so have lots of ****ing players, he had that one "great" game against Derby)!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

So not a fan then?

I'm pleased we have him back as cover for wood as he offers more experience than Schlupp. Although I have to say he has never been that great off the bench always a different player if he gets a run in the team, I guess that could be the difference between a good and and excellent player. Take Matty James, give him the slightest chance and he will put in a top performance

Not sure if I was imagining it though but he looked a little chunkier than normal.

As a previous poster said let's just back him because he is still a city player!

I reckon Waghorn may get a run out today with Vardy serving his one match ban...I think he should get a run out in front of GTF and Schlupp. Maybe if he gets some game time we could see some spirit and goals from the lad. When here on loan he did well, but he hasnt really had much of a chance to shine in recent times and this could be why Pearson sent him on loan to get game time and prove himself.

Archived