Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Waghorn - staying at City ?

Do people agree that, with the sacking of Steve Lomas, the reported (£500k) deal for Millwall to sign Waggie in January, will be off ?  I guess, that with him now returning to the bench for City against Reading, he will be back in Nige's plans and in the squad for the remainder of the season (especially now Wood is out for a while) ?  Nige has said he's not in the market to sign another striker in January - could that be because he always intended Waggie to stay ?  He's certainly a better striking bet than Schlupp (and GTF in a forward role) and has scored a few in the Championship already.  

If we have to rely on Waggy for our promotion push, we may as well forget it now. Average at best and whilst people slate Nugent's scoring record, his all round game is far superior to Waggy's. Remember, Waghorn has been playing regularly for Millwall and hasn't really set the world on fire. Still think he'll go to Millwall because he needs to be playing football regularly and when Wood is fit he'll be 4th or 5th choice.

I hope so...if we can get waghorn to create his loan spell form then waghorn and vardy would be terrifying. I just wonder how much patience he has with the lcfc set up now. Tbh I'd give him spells of the bench ( more than his usual 5 minutes - so first sub where possible) in the next two league games and start in the fa cup with vardy against Stoke to see how that goes. Nugent must know he can't be far off the bench with some of his performances. He needs a good one today if he starts.

The best of a poor three options after Vardy and Nugent for me.

Has flattered to decieve so many times since he singed permanently, and whilst his build up play can be good his finishing is often poor.

He got a large contract with us on the back of that cracking loan season he had, if he could rekindle a twinkle of that in the absence of Wood and the potential injury to Vardy it would be most welcome.

The best of a poor three options after Vardy and Nugent for me.

Has flattered to decieve so many times since he singed permanently, and whilst his build up play can be good his finishing is often poor.

He got a large contract with us on the back of that cracking loan season he had, if he could rekindle a twinkle of that in the absence of Wood and the potential injury to Vardy it would be most welcome.

If we have to rely on Waggy for our promotion push, we may as well forget it now. Average at best and whilst people slate Nugent's scoring record, his all round game is far superior to Waggy's. Remember, Waghorn has been playing regularly for Millwall and hasn't really set the world on fire. Still think he'll go to Millwall because he needs to be playing football regularly and when Wood is fit he'll be 4th or 5th choice.

I did say he'd only be staying as a "squad player" - I agree, there's no way he'd be in front of Nugent or Vardy (or even Wood, when he's fit).

Average at best and whilst people slate Nugent's scoring record, his all round game is far superior to Waggy's.

No it really isn't. Last time he was playing regularly upfront for Leicester (for a spell of about 8 games last year) he was regularly our man of the match, the only complaint leveled against him was his lack of goals. Waghorn's all round game is just as good as Nugent's, perhaps better, it's his finishing that usually lets him down and right now Nugent isn't exactly scoring for fun. I'd stick with Nugent/Vardy because it's working at the moment, but Waghorn is a good option to have.

He will have a part to play in the squad.

With our forward players putting such a shift in in each game, defending so hard from the front they are frequently subbed

Waghorn is cut from the same cloth & is a ready made sub/stand by player

And whilst GTF puts himself about a bit and holds the ball up okay when we're closing the game out, waghorn is a grafter more similar to Nuge & Vardy

Unless we need room to manoeuvre under FFP, I'm sure he'll stay and he'll play a part!

Mark w Are you seriously suggesting you would rather have Waggy up front than Nugent - cos if you are I'm glad Pearson is in charge and not you. If Waggy is that good why the hell was he allowed to go out on loan - I've answered the question, cos he's average at best. 

Mark w Are you seriously suggesting you would rather have Waggy up front than Nugent - cos if you are I'm glad Pearson is in charge and not you. If Waggy is that good why the hell was he allowed to go out on loan - I've answered the question, cos he's average at best. 

Ugh, did you not read the bit where I said I'd stick with Nugent and Vardy?

Waggy was sent out on loan because last year Nugent and Wood were miles ahead of him (they haven't been so far this season), Vardy was third choice and I doubt Waghorn was happy with being fourth choice.

But I'm glad Pearson is in charge and not me as well if that helps.

I think Waghorn has had an incredibly bad treatment here actually. When he played for us in 09/10 (his loan season) he was quality and I think most people thought he would go on to fairly big things. Since we signed him he hasn't been given a fair chance at being first choice/second choice striker. Last season he started to hit form when getting a run of games, and then we signed Wood who came straight in and kept his place, despite going off the boil completely after a month or so, to me this didn't seem fair. I've always thought that Waggy can be a decent striker at this level, but he is clearly a confidence player. He needs games to get himself firing and unfortunately I don't think he'll get them here.

OK Mark - sorry if I got my wires crossed - I just don't think Waggy will make any impact in our promotion push - would like someone new in who is a bit different - maybe Le Fondre who is a natural goal poacher, rather than a runner like Vardy, Nugent and Waghorn.

I think Waghorn has had an incredibly bad treatment here actually. When he played for us in 09/10 (his loan season) he was quality and I think most people thought he would go on to fairly big things. Since we signed him he hasn't been given a fair chance at being first choice/second choice striker. Last season he started to hit form when getting a run of games, and then we signed Wood who came straight in and kept his place, despite going off the boil completely after a month or so, to me this didn't seem fair. I've always thought that Waggy can be a decent striker at this level, but he is clearly a confidence player. He needs games to get himself firing and unfortunately I don't think he'll get them here.

I must have fallen asleep at some point last season as I appear to have missed this golden patch of good form that Martyn experienced. I'm assuming it was during his glut of 3 goals in 22.

I suppose I look at the team now and think it is far superior to when Waggy joined. He had a decent first season, but hasn't really progressed since then. That may not be entirely his fault with the change of manager's etc. However, IMO I really think we need to be looking for an additional striker to compliment Nugent, Vardy and Wood. Like I said, Le Fondre would give us a different option or Becchio, whilst similar to Wood in stature, is far more potent in the air.

He's been played out of position on the wing for a lot of that time.

And playing for one of the worst teams in the league, who have worse distrubution and delivery than us...

Done well IMO...

I don't understand the idea that if a player goes to a bad club they should set the world alight...

Yes they should be the best player in that team individually (Which waghorn is/was) But that completely contradicts the opinion that our fans have on nugent "He's not had the support or the delivery"

So waghorn has?

If fans on here can say that nugent has been playing off scraps.. what the fvck has waghorn been playing off at millwall, one of the worst teams in the division...

Done a good job there.

Welcome him back for his LAST CHANCE.

Let's hope he gets his old form back, same with nugget

If Milwall don't bid for him in January, then Waghorn has the rest of the season to make a case of playing for us. It's now or never for him.

I don't think he is good enough or clinical enough. Even his all round game seems mid table championship at best.

Unless he hits a purple patch and shows major improvement he won't be here next season.

Archived