Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

Recently bought a road bike; primarily for the commute but was hoping to get into it and get out and about at the weekends. Made a massive mistake though and went cheap, I've been out on it once and can't stand the sight of it now. It's so heavy and clunky....wish I hadn't been so tight now!

What did you get?

Anyone got any advice for a 'newbie' in this sport?

What kind of cycling are you looking at doing? 

Road bike it is then. Whats your budget? 

Kudos  :thumbup:

Thanks! Feel I need to invest in a proper road bike. I've got a tourer which is excellent for going away for a few weekend loaded up but not optimal when you're cycling with a group of 15 on road bikes and have cars to carry everything for you! I do have an excellent cycling tan though.

Around £300.

Obviously want one that doesn't 'slide' on wet surface.

Around £300 if buying new will get you this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html or http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-road-bike-2016-85148.html they are considered the best "bang for bucks" entry level road bikes out there and both have carbon forks (good for cutting out the road buzz). The Merlin is better equipped with Claris and that`s reflected in the £50 difference in price.

If I were you i`d go down the second hand route like I did. I was unsure about getting a road bike (drop bars, gear changing, skinny tyres, potholes, etc, etc), but after looking and researching for 3 or 4 months or so I decided to take the plunge. After losing out on a few bikes on ebay I dropped on and got myself a 4 year old Wilier Escape (carbon fork, Miche wheels and brakes, full Campagnolo Xenon group set and Richey bars/seat post/handlebar stem... That is a good bit of kit nailed to it) for under £250 (£800 when new) It does everything I want it to, it gets me out there and for what I paid for it its worth its weight in gold :) . I`m already looking to upgrade though, maybe in a year or 2. 

We are at the arse end of the year weather wise so if I were you I`d wait, do some research and get something for next year. Just bide your time and you`ll drop on  ;)

Thanks! Feel I need to invest in a proper road bike. I've got a tourer which is excellent for going away for a few weekend loaded up but not optimal when you're cycling with a group of 15 on road bikes and have cars to carry everything for you! I do have an excellent cycling tan though.

Its a good time of year to grab a bargain 2015 bike now that sellers are bringing out their 2016 models  :thumbup:

Edited by I am Rod Hull
  • Like 1

Its a good time of year to grab a bargain 2015 bike now that sellers are bringing out their 2016 models  :thumbup:

I can do it through the Ride2Work scheme at work if I wait until January. Evans (where I have to get it from) still have discounts on at that time from memory. I shall give it some thought. I don't really need another bike but I only have three so there's always room for another...

I can do it through the Ride2Work scheme at work if I wait until January. Evans (where I have to get it from) still have discounts on at that time from memory. I shall give it some thought. I don't really need another bike but I only have three so there's always room for another...

I only have 3, but its not about need, its about want and if you want it get it  :D

went out and did 27 mile last night but really struggling with the light now as not getting in till 5:30 going to have to make up for it at the weekend. Never thought I would get into road biking as I have always been into mountain bikes but there is only a few decent mountain bike spots in the midlands but some great road cycling to be done.

Regarding speed I can average about 15mph over 25 mile  which that's according to mapmyride's app. Did get up to 35mph coming down bumble bee lane (out near magna park on the A5) never braked so hard though when a f'n rabbit ran out in front of me!

• Like 1

Around £300 if buying new will get you this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html or http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-road-bike-2016-85148.html they are considered the best "bang for bucks" entry level road bikes out there and both have carbon forks (good for cutting out the road buzz). The Merlin is better equipped with Claris and that`s reflected in the £50 difference in price.

If I were you i`d go down the second hand route like I did. I was unsure about getting a road bike (drop bars, gear changing, skinny tyres, potholes, etc, etc), but after looking and researching for 3 or 4 months or so I decided to take the plunge. After losing out on a few bikes on ebay I dropped on and got myself a 4 year old Wilier Escape (carbon fork, Miche wheels and brakes, full Campagnolo Xenon group set and Richey bars/seat post/handlebar stem... That is a good bit of kit nailed to it) for under £250 (£800 when new) It does everything I want it to, it gets me out there and for what I paid for it its worth its weight in gold :) . I`m already looking to upgrade though, maybe in a year or 2. 

We are at the arse end of the year weather wise so if I were you I`d wait, do some research and get something for next year. Just bide your time and you`ll drop on  ;)

For anyone interested in the decathalon bike at the top of the post. I bought this recently and it's great! My colleague who has much more expensive taste in bikes was well impressed with it so it can't be too bad.

I'm well pleased with it personally, perfect for my commute 14 miles a day!

• Like 1

For anyone interested in the decathalon bike at the top of the post. I bought this recently and it's great! My colleague who has much more expensive taste in bikes was well impressed with it so it can't be too bad.

I'm well pleased with it personally, perfect for my commute 14 miles a day!

Good choice. Its a cracking bike for the money  :thumbup:

Enjoy  :)

Edited by I am Rod Hull

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a road bike and a mountain bike.

Normally do around 80 miles a week going work and back and like to do some mountain biking as well.

Did the Monsall trail first (nice and flat) then a couple of weeks ago went to Afan forest, what a place this is, had great fun and camped in my campervan in their car park for £1!

Cut short though after I came off and split my head open which resulted in a trip to the local A & E and some glue being applied to my head, great fun though!

• Like 1

Bargain hi viz shite weather jacket here, lots of sizes and colours available http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/11935/altura-night-vision-evo-waterproof-jacket

I thought i`d got mine cheap when I paid £35 for one last winter, great little commuting jacket.

EDIT: The offer is now dead and its up to £50 from this mornings £25  :rolleyes: . I got 2, one for my nephew for Christmas and the other one is going on ebay where it`ll easily fetch £40  ;)

Edited by I am Rod Hull

• 4 weeks later...