Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

On 11/1/2016 at 21:51, Uncle Phil said:

I'm fairly ignorant about CX. I'm a long time mountain biker and have reeled in the amount of travel as I've gotten older, but I can't imagine drop bars and those skinny tyres off road. It looks pretty smart though. 

How well do they cope with wet mud and slick roots? Are they as tough as a hard tail mtb?

@Uncle Phil  I picked it up on Monday and i`v only popped in one ride (52km), so i`m still trying to get to know the beast at the mo. I rode the first 22 km on the road and was averaging around 17 mph, which surprised me tbh. The last 30km were mainly trails, nothing too rough and it performed very well, it went through everything with ease, just like a mtb hard tail would do but faster (that`s down to the gearing - Shimano Sora 3500 - 50/39/30 -11/32 and the 27" wheels). I`m thinking of giving her a bit of a tougher workout this weekend on the Ashby Canal, I tried it a few weeks ago on my hybrid but it was a bit too rough for it and I got a pinch after hitting a root.... 

I`m used to the drops and mtb off road stuff so it will be no problem for me to bring both together. The drops on this are over sized (about 6 cm`s wider than my road bike from brifter to brifter) and this seems to give you a bit more maneuverability. 

The tyres are not skinny, they`re 42c Conti Speed Ride, but i`ll be looking to change to something with decent puncture protection in a 38c or 35c. 

I`ll report back after this weekends ride :thumbup:

Edited by I am Rod Hull

21 hours ago, hejammy said:

Looking to take up cycling , wanted ssome advise as to what bike to go for? Something fairly cheap  and cheerful initially just incase it turns out that it's 'it's not my thing' 

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks 

What kind of cycling do you want to do and what price?

14 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I got a Giant Talon 1 2017 last week through the cycle to work scheme.

I've only been out on it a couple of times but both times I've noticed how uncomfortable the seat it. Has anyone got any recommendations on what seat would be good to change it for?

That`s a nice bike :cool:.

You dont need a new seat... padded shorts and time in the saddle will ease the pain 

Trust me ;)

Edited by I am Rod Hull

Did a lap of the local trails today, roughly 12miles or so but great natural riding. There's no massive ups or downs, just undulating singletrack through woods and heaths.

Few walkers and horse riders about so couldn't maintain a good avg, love riding when the weathers is good this time of year though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2016 at 20:01, Uncle Phil said:

Did a lap of the local trails today, roughly 12miles or so but great natural riding. There's no massive ups or downs, just undulating singletrack through woods and heaths.

Few walkers and horse riders about so couldn't maintain a good avg, love riding when the weathers is good this time of year though. 

@Uncle Phil Good stuff :thumbup:

I did that Ashby canal ride that I was on about doing, but it didnt go too well. The first 6 miles on the road to the start at Snarestone were fine (averaged 18.6 mph :trumpet:) , but the ride from then on was a bit of a puncturethon... The tow path is mostly grass and this hides all the potholes, tree roots and boulders... not to mention it being lined with hawthorn for most of the way. I took 2 spare tubes with me (thought that would be enough) and after getting my first puncture just after Bosworth I decided to head back home. I should have taken the road route back, but I`m stupid and I got my second puncture at Shakerstone. I then took to the road, but with daylight dwindling and me not taking any lights (spent too much time swapping tubes) I thought it best to get off the road and back on the trails. A nice and easy last 5 miles from Measham to mine I thought, but the puncture fairy struck again and I had to walk the last mile and a half or so lol. Manged about 25 miles in the end, which was not too bad.

I took it out on a road ride with a couple of mates (on their road bikes) on Sunday and it performed well. Averaged 16.6 mph on a 35 miler which aint too shabby for a trail sided cx bike with a shite engine :D

Going to give it a proper trail workout this Sunday, including Hicks Lodge. 

Edited by I am Rod Hull

@I am Rod Hull Sounds good, keeps good pace. Crap news on the thorns though, they soon turn a nice jolly into an ordeal. My local spot is the east Devon heaths so gorse, blackthorn and hawthorn everywhere! I should use sealant or go tubeless. Maybe one day...

What's Hicks Lodge like? I thought it was flat family friendly off road, like a green trail centre route. Are there any 'off piste' bits. I might go for a spin when I'm back over Christmas. 

On 11/25/2016 at 21:01, Uncle Phil said:

@I am Rod Hull Sounds good, keeps good pace. Crap news on the thorns though, they soon turn a nice jolly into an ordeal. My local spot is the east Devon heaths so gorse, blackthorn and hawthorn everywhere! I should use sealant or go tubeless. Maybe one day...

What's Hicks Lodge like? I thought it was flat family friendly off road, like a green trail centre route. Are there any 'off piste' bits. I might go for a spin when I'm back over Christmas. 

Hicks Lodge - 4 miles of twists, humps and burms. Its a blue route so its too not difficult. I have heard mention of an unofficial "black" segment, but have no idea where that is (that`s if there actually is one), maybe around the old wood seg?, I`ll ask around.

There are lots of trails to ride in local area, you have the lake opposite, Moira canal, and the Conkers circuit a stones throw away https://www.nationalforest.org/document/visitor/conkers.pdf . I went out yesterday on the Cx with a couple of mates and we linked them all together for a cracking 30 miler, great fun and a nice brake from the roadie. I like having more than one option - roadie for miles, Cx/Mtb for smiles :thumbup:. I was surprised at the amount of Cx bikes out yesterday, they`re getting more popular and I can see why, they`re like a Swiss army knife.

I`m also thinking of going tubeless after getting 2 more (slow) punctures yesterday....I swear that these tyres are made of cheese :dry: . I`v been looking at "do it yourself tubeless" vids on youtube. Its doable but I dont think I`ll try it on these tyres so I`m going to play it safe and get new tyres for it this week with sealant in the tubes before I go down the home made tubeless route.

Selling my Specialized road bike if anyone is intrested its an Grey Allez 58cm just over a year old (i'm 6ft2) can post pics if anyone is keen, only been out on it about 10 times and in perfect condition. Will even throw in my turbo trainer FOC to. Looking for about £300 definitely worth more but just selling it to fund my new mountain bike.

@I am Rod Hull Cheers for the info. I'll try and link it together. For some reason I didn't realise hicks lodge was forestry commission, their trail colour grading can be a bit hit and miss but are usually a decent ride. Are they new tyres you're getting the grief from? Those flats are sounding pretty frequent! 

@goose2010 what mtb are you after? 

11 hours ago, Uncle Phil said:

@I am Rod Hull Cheers for the info. I'll try and link it together. For some reason I didn't realise hicks lodge was forestry commission, their trail colour grading can be a bit hit and miss but are usually a decent ride. Are they new tyres you're getting the grief from? Those flats are sounding pretty frequent! 

@goose2010 what mtb are you after? 

Either a Cube Acid 2x or Scott Aspect 700 - i've taken them both out from Rutland for a bit of a ride and both so nice to ride jsut need the money now!

• 4 weeks later...

@Uncle Phil They were the old tyres I was getting grief from. I`v changed the tyres since that ride for some Schwalbe Cx Comps in a 35c and took her out for a 50 km mixed road and trail ride yesterday. It was tough out there with 18+ mph winds and my legs are telling me it was double that distance :D . I`v made a few changes in the last few weeks - New saddle, pedals, bar tape, and I`v flipped the stem to make it less "sit up and beg" 

Me and my mate popped a 100km road ride in a couple of weeks ago and we stopped off at Hick Lodge cafe near the end of our ride. I would like to recommend the hot choc with marshmallows :o

Rest day for me today (but i might get the hybrid out for a little pootle ;)) as I`m meeting up with a few lads for a road ride tomorrow and it looks like it`ll be well over 50 miles.

• 3 months later...

My love affair with Wilier continues.... Here my latest, a custom built Izoard Xp :hyper:
Carbon frame and fork
Fulcrum 3 wheelset (front wheel is an older version to the rear, but I aint too fussed about that)
FSA SL-K carbon cranckset and stem plus FSA Enegy compact bars
Ritchey pro carbon seat post and stem spacers
11 speed Campag Athena with carbon shifters and Athena brakes

I could break this down and sell the parts for a tidy profit, but that aint gonna happen.... I`v waited along time for a well priced Wilier with Campag to come along and this is the one. I`v seen lesser spec`d versions go for a lot more than I bagged this for :trumpet:

P1000779.JPG

P1000781.JPG

P1000780.JPG

Edited by I am Rod Hull