Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

53 minutes ago, I am Rod Hull said:

I set out on a challenge at the start of the year to do a 100 mile ride for every calendar month, but things got a little out of hand... :rolleyes:

I bagged my 52nd imperial century of the year yesterday for the average of 1 per week. It`s been a crazy year on the bike and one that i`ll never forget :)

Very impressive :D

My challenge to myself was to hit 1,000 miles and 100,000 ft elevation gain by the end of the year, not quite on the same level lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Out of interest has any one got / used a E-Mountain bike?

Having been forced into retirement from playing football (broke my knee cap and ruptured my patellar tendon) I've decided to get back into mountain biking. With my knee getting back to strength slowly I thought an E bike is the way to go to help me on the uphill parts etc but they seem a massive investment.

So wondered if anyone had any experience with them and what would they recommend??

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Did my 1st Ride of the year today. 25 miles took 2 hours so average speed not great.

Anyone got any tips for climbing, still can't master it. If I go in high gear and hard I run out of steam. If I go in slow and try spinning in low gear. I lose momentum and end up coming to a standstill as well.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2019 at 21:48, Bayfox said:

Bump.

Did my 1st Ride of the year today. 25 miles took 2 hours so average speed not great.

Anyone got any tips for climbing, still can't master it. If I go in high gear and hard I run out of steam. If I go in slow and try spinning in low gear. I lose momentum and end up coming to a standstill as well.

Great miles for your first ride of the the year @Bayfox , well done :appl:

Hills - If its a steep one i`ll granny ring it and spin, but if its a long gradual incline i`ll big ring it and grind my way up. The best thing you can do is keep riding as the miles will help with your fitness. Its all about the miles, everything comes with the miles :)

Keep at it fella :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 22/04/2019 at 21:48, Bayfox said:

Bump.

Get as much of your body weight over the front wheel. 

On 26/04/2019 at 10:09, outfoxed77 said:

There's a hill in South Croxton that I just can't do, every time I have to get off and walk up it.

Mind you I am a fat git at the minute so hopefully I will conquer it when I've lost a few pounds!

I've managed that one a few times but i could do with oxygen at the top.  It's a weird one, not the longest or the steepest, but a brute all the same.  Greengate Lane, Birstall is another one that hurts! 

On 25/04/2019 at 21:11, goose2010 said:

Get as much of your body weight over the front wheel. 

That’s good advice to be fair, I’ve done it once... literally all of my weight straight over the front wheel and face planted because I was trying to be mega cool and pull an endo. That was the moment I realised I’d become an adult.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Been to Germany a couple of times now and was surprised how respectful motorists were of cyclists over there, so many people cycle, no helmets, no Lycra just people going about their everyday business on a bike. 

Same with Amsterdam, so many cycle lanes and stuff that people actually use properly. It's funny what happens when people use what's provided and aren't complete twats 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

That's why things like cycle lanes, toilets and nice things for the public in general don't work in Britain. There's too many complete twats. 

Look at the Scousers abroad in Barca currently; a small minority ruining the reputation of an entire country. 

• 1 month later...

'Labour MP claims 20p a mile for CYCLING around his constituency in latest expenses row'

Reports Claire Ellcott in the Daily Mail on 12 May.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/politics/labour-mp-claims-20p-a-mile-for-cycling-around-his-constituency-in-latest-expenses-row/ar-AABgBeZ

Also in the Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9055283/mp-expenses-20p-mile-cycling/

Now what could possibly be wrong with this? MPs are supposed to visit their constituencies regularly. If Mr Western had done these journeys in his car he would have been able to claim 45p.

Perhaps if a few more MPs did this then something might be done about the appalling potholed state of our roads and arrogant twats in powerful cars who have absolutely no respect for other road users.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my first road bike on the cycle to work scheme last month and loving the difference between that and my hybrid. Spent some time looking for a bike I wanted and then managed to get it price matched from a lower site to the point where a £1k bike has only reduced my net pay by £35 per month for the year. Well worth looking in to if your company does it!! 

My commute takes about 15 minutes in the car door to door and only about 7 minutes longer to do it on a bike. Average speed is generally around 16.5mph so not great but did hit 17.4mph on my commute home yesterday. Main difference to the hybrid is that you can't afford to lose concentration for a second as when you're hitting speeds in the low 20s, you really do feel like you're flying along and the slightest knock or bump could leave you on the deck. Struggling to get used to the location of the brakes as well so never trust myself to go flat out down a steep hill! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hate cycling and cyclists!

On a related note, I now cycle to work each day... only about 3ks... flat and uphill on the way to..and (obviously) down and flat on the way home. My question is.. why the fvck havent my leg muscles learnt, grown and developed so that.... every. single. hill. doesnt kill me?

13 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

On a related note, I now cycle to work each day... only about 3ks... flat and uphill on the way to..and (obviously) down and flat on the way home. My question is.. why the fvck havent my leg muscles learnt, grown and developed so that.... every. single. hill. doesnt kill me?

Make sure you hydrate and eat enough protein!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Get more miles in and it`ll get easier. You`re not going to improve unless you ride more, get out at every available opportunity and these hills will be nothing to you :chant:

9 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Make sure you hydrate and eat enough protein!

I don`t think you need to do that on a 3km ride :D

On 03/07/2019 at 13:46, syston_fox said:

Picked up my first road bike on the cycle to work scheme last month and loving the difference between that and my hybrid. Spent some time looking for a bike I wanted and then managed to get it price matched from a lower site to the point where a £1k bike has only reduced my net pay by £35 per month for the year. Well worth looking in to if your company does it!! 

My commute takes about 15 minutes in the car door to door and only about 7 minutes longer to do it on a bike. Average speed is generally around 16.5mph so not great but did hit 17.4mph on my commute home yesterday. Main difference to the hybrid is that you can't afford to lose concentration for a second as when you're hitting speeds in the low 20s, you really do feel like you're flying along and the slightest knock or bump could leave you on the deck. Struggling to get used to the location of the brakes as well so never trust myself to go flat out down a steep hill! 

Great choice on moving to drop bars, you`ll soon get used to it believe me. I felt the same as you, but I stuck it out and would never go back. Keep at it youth :chant:

Edit: You should be riding on the hoods, so your fingers are on the brakes at all times. 

Edited by I am Rod Hull

53 minutes ago, I am Rod Hull said:

Get more miles in and it`ll get easier. You`re not going to improve unless you ride more, get out at every available opportunity and these hills will be nothing to you :chant:

I don`t think you need to do that on a 3km ride :D

You'll be surprised everyone has to start somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I am Rod Hull said:

Great choice on moving to drop bars, you`ll soon get used to it believe me. I felt the same as you, but I stuck it out and would never go back. Keep at it youth :chant:

Edit: You should be riding on the hoods, so your fingers are on the brakes at all times. 

Yeah I'm on the hoods but still taking getting used to. Enjoying it much more than my old hybrid though. Done a couple of 25 mile rides and felt good after them whereas it was a slog if I did that before. 

The main difference is the hills though, the difference in weight of the bike means it's so much easier getting you some of the smaller ones. Don't get me wrong, it still kills me but my slow death is now 25% or so quicker 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ozleicester said:

It never gets easier, you just get faster.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...