Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Ulloa's Strike Partner?

Keep Ulloa up field and look to get the ball to him quickly, not aimlessly hoof,

I seriously hope, after all the brilliant football we played last season that we will definitely not hoof the ball.

Someone get the memo to Konchesky, I bet he is salivating over the prospect of smashing it to Ulloa but the ball going into the crowd

I seriously hope, after all the brilliant football we played last season that we will definitely not hoof the ball.

Someone get the memo to Konchesky, I bet he is salivating over the prospect of smashing it to Ulloa but the ball going into the crowd

Hopefully we will play it into his feet where he can hold it up play it out wide to our wingers and then get in the box to get his head on the cross.

GOAL!!!!

He also needs to be able to contribute to our all round play and be able to keep the ball during our patient build up.

I can't see him playing 4231. It won't work with a target man like Ulloa. He doesn't move much, he doesn't venture far from the six yard box, which is ok and being a strong target man who is dominant in the air I suspect he'll need someone like Vardy or Nugent at the side of him. The only time I can see us playing one/Ulloa up front on his own is when we play the "better" sides.

I can't see him playing 4231. It won't work with a target man like Ulloa. He doesn't move much, he doesn't venture far from the six yard box, which is ok and being a strong target man who is dominant in the air I suspect he'll need someone like Vardy or Nugent at the side of him. The only time I can see us playing one/Ulloa up front on his own is when we play the "better" sides.

That claim is based on what exactly?

If done well in a 4231 he will have 3 players alongside him, making the runs and looking to play him in, it is not a lone striker role.

...........................KS...............................

...........Moore.....Wes......Upson.............

De Laet...................................Schlupp

.......................Drinky............................

..........Albrighton............Mahrez.........

.......................................................................................Knocky/King/Vardy................ could be inserted here to bolster midfield if playing lone striker.

Vardy/Deeney................Ulloa/Nuge....

Wheres James.????

That claim is based on what exactly?

If done well in a 4231 he will have 3 players alongside him, making the runs and looking to play him in, it is not a lone striker role.

Only on Adam Virgo's view from their radio station, and from a few Brighton fans. I always thought 4231 was ideal for the one being a more of a poacher, not a target man. 

From watching his goals Ulloa certainly has a poachers instinct, but he can also hold the ball up well and bring others into the game which is what you need in a 4231 the most creative players are in the 3 and need to be brought into the game.

I think it would be a massive step backwards if we play a 442 with Ulloa and Vardy in a big man little man combo, and just hitting balls up to Ulloa to flick on, I guess we will see what NP decides.

Imagine we spent 10 million pounds on Deeney. You'd assume that for that kind of money, he would be starting most matches, likewise for Ulloa. Yes they score goals but only when given the chances. The stats below show that they don't create many chances for other players

Deeney  (44 games)                          Ulloa (only played 33 games)

League Goals: 24                              League Goals: 11

Assists: 4                                           Assists: 3

Total: 28                                            Total:14

You could assume that Ulloa's would be slightly higher had he played over 40 games but this still shows that we're left with two players who score goals but don't do much more. Yes, I know scoring is the important part but where do we expect these chances to come from? Now you're probably thinking, we have loads of players creating chances. If Deeney and Ulloa started, you'd think there would easily be enough chances created.

They would probably start ahead of Vardy and Nugent...

Nugent   (45 games)                         Vardy (only played 37 games)

League Goals: 20                             League Goals: 16

Assists: 13                                        Assists: 5 (does that include the penalties he won?)

Total: 33                                           Total: 21

I think it's fair to assume that Vardy could have reached 20 goals had he played more games. That stat just highlights how important Nugent was last season.

Of course, Nugent and Vardy are not the only players who created chances for us last season. Dyer was involved in 14 goals. Mahrez, Knockaert and James all got a few assists as well.

Shout out to Wood and Taylor-Fletcher as well. The forgotten men. I admit, these stats aren't great! But it shows that in 18 less games, Wood still created as many chances as Deeney

Wood (played 26 games)                                      Taylor-Fletcher (played 21 games)

League Goals: 3                                                    League Goals: 3

Assists: 4                                                               Assists: 3

Total: 7                                                                  Total: 6

My point is, by playing Deeney and Ulloa you're losing out on the extra work that Nugent put in. I hardly ever defend David Nugent but I'd much rather have him in the side than Troy Deeney.

You can't play Deeney and Ulloa in the same side and expect the same level of creativity. Sorry, I just can't see it happening. Playing Mahrez and Knockaert in the same side may be risky as both like to roam. Time will tell with Albrighton.

But of course, Nigel knows best.

Just read that it's a straight race between us and Swansea for Deeney!.. Lots of talk about one, possibly two of our players going to Watford as part of the deal.. Player's mentioned... Andy King, Jamie Vardy and Matty James.. Really cannot see us parting with any of them!!!!..... Chris Wood seems the sensible departure???

Imagine we spent 10 million pounds on Deeney. You'd assume that for that kind of money, he would be starting most matches, likewise for Ulloa. Yes they score goals but only when given the chances. The stats below show that they don't create many chances for other players

Deeney  (44 games)                          Ulloa (only played 33 games)

League Goals: 24                              League Goals: 11

Assists: 4                                           Assists: 3

Total: 28                                            Total:14

You could assume that Ulloa's would be slightly higher had he played over 40 games but this still shows that we're left with two players who score goals but don't do much more. Yes, I know scoring is the important part but where do we expect these chances to come from? Now you're probably thinking, we have loads of players creating chances. If Deeney and Ulloa started, you'd think there would easily be enough chances created.

They would probably start ahead of Vardy and Nugent...

Nugent   (45 games)                         Vardy (only played 37 games)

League Goals: 20                             League Goals: 16

Assists: 13                                        Assists: 5 (does that include the penalties he won?)

Total: 33                                           Total: 21

I think it's fair to assume that Vardy could have reached 20 goals had he played more games. That stat just highlights how important Nugent was last season.

Of course, Nugent and Vardy are not the only players who created chances for us last season. Dyer was involved in 14 goals. Mahrez, Knockaert and James all got a few assists as well.

Shout out to Wood and Taylor-Fletcher as well. The forgotten men. I admit, these stats aren't great! But it shows that in 18 less games, Wood still created as many chances as Deeney

Wood (played 26 games)                                      Taylor-Fletcher (played 21 games)

League Goals: 3                                                    League Goals: 3

Assists: 4                                                               Assists: 3

Total: 7                                                                  Total: 6

My point is, by playing Deeney and Ulloa you're losing out on the extra work that Nugent put in. I hardly ever defend David Nugent but I'd much rather have him in the side than Troy Deeney.

You can't play Deeney and Ulloa in the same side and expect the same level of creativity. Sorry, I just can't see it happening. Playing Mahrez and Knockaert in the same side may be risky as both like to roam. Time will tell with Albrighton.

But of course, Nigel knows best.

Assists are a very misleading stat, especially with Deeney and Ulloa playing in average teams. If Every chance Paul Scholes created got finished he'd likely have a billion assists. Chance creation stats are much, much more important.

Assists are a very misleading stat, especially with Deeney and Ulloa playing in average teams. If Every chance Paul Scholes created got finished he'd likely have a billion assists. Chance creation stats are much, much more important.

Fair point, do you agree though that it's unlikely that we'd start with both Deeney and Ulloa because they are too similar?

We have 4 central midfielders, the last thing we're going to do is trade one of them for another striker. Swapping Vardy for Deeney is pointless. If we payed 7 million plus Chris Wood, I'd be expecting someone a little bit better than a guy who's had two good seasons in the Championship.

Don't write off Nugent just yet. He's a wily old Fox around Goal and has done it before in the Premiership.

With the exception of Get the F --k  and Wood a few Games for WBA . The rest are untried at this level.

They're going to have to learn on the job.

Hopefully they won't freeze and I'm sure KP will have them well tutored and prepared.

Just read that it's a straight race between us and Swansea for Deeney!.. Lots of talk about one, possibly two of our players going to Watford as part of the deal.. Player's mentioned... Andy King, Jamie Vardy and Matty James.. Really cannot see us parting with any of them!!!!..... Chris Wood seems the sensible departure???

There is no way on this earth that we would offer the likes of James or Vardy in any deal regarding anyone, never mind Deeney.

Wood wasn't considered premier league quality by WBA and ive seen nothing that convinces me that he can do the business consistently. Nugent I just dont see how he will get goals in open play so for me it's Ulloa and Vardy.

Archived