Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ImBlue

Pace at centre back?

not many teams have genuine pace at centre back though. just good centre backs. mertesacker was one of the standout cbs in the league last year, new born babies can run faster than him. 

If you've got a good footballing brain (you can read the ball and have good positioning sense) then pace isn't too necessary at centre half in my opinion.

I'm not saying all our defenders, or some of our defenders are like that, of course, I'm talking generally. I fear Morgan will get turned easily but Moore certainly has the pace. And I'm guessing Nige will start with Moore and Morgan, I know I would.

Like someone has already said pacey defenders with guaranteed PL quality are very rare and expensive.

Would I like to see us aquire a couple, yes but not sure where we should be looking.

You could have the fastest of players in the world up against you but if you have an organised back line, the offside flag will keep appearing. We have de laet and schlupp who can cover behind CBS if ball over the top.

We need a LB and said it for a year now, I like schlupp but hell get murdered in some games, konchesky can't pass, tackle or run! We play with 10 men.

If all fails we can try and play KS in the attacking GK pos? lol

It won't be about pace in the defence. Morgan is positionally very aware. Moore, DeLaet, Schlupp.. all quick lads.

If we concede many goals it will be primarily about two things:

1. We are'nt good at defending set pieces (hopefully that's changed)

2. The defence won't be shielded sufficiently by the midfield.

Mark my words (:thumbup:).. if we start to concede goals and lose games this season it will be because the midfield is getting over-run.

Last season we learnt to both attack and defend as a team. Time and time over we regained possession because Vardy chased down a lost cause or Drinkwater got his foot in. That must continue. If we start to get over-run in that midfield area, it won't matter which of our centre backs are playing. We'll concede goals.

It won't be about pace in the defence. Morgan is positionally very aware. Moore, DeLaet, Schlupp.. all quick lads.

If we concede many goals it will be primarily about two things:

1. We are'nt good at defending set pieces (hopefully that's changed)

2. The defence won't be shielded sufficiently by the midfield.

Mark my words ( :thumbup:).. if we start to concede goals and lose games this season it will be because the midfield is getting over-run.

Last season we learnt to both attack and defend as a team. Time and time over we regained possession because Vardy chased down a lost cause or Drinkwater got his foot in. That must continue. If we start to get over-run in that midfield area, it won't matter which of our centre backs are playing. We'll concede goals.

SENSE  :thumbup:

Pace just isn't an attribute that's a priority in a cb. A good cb with pace will be at a top club,

I don't understand this

You can count pacey CBs in the whole country on one hand, if you're a fast kid you don't get stuck at the back you play in attacking roles including modern day RB/LB

We've got a good defence who were a bit exposed at setpieces & in the air in general, so we've signed an absolute cracker in Upson to help us there

I don't think having a slightly quicker centre-back is going to make any difference when you're up against world class attackers who can make any opposition player look terrible. It's more about the positioning and decision making.

Totally agree.

Pace being a necessity as a CB is a myth. The two main attributes for a CB is strength and positioning.

As others have mentioned Mertesacker and also Demichelis at the end of last season were two of the best CB''s in the league and are probably the slowest.

I think Wes and Was will start first game. Me personally I can't see Moore reaching double figures when it comes to Premier League starts if all CB's are fit and not suspended. That's not saying he's not a good player he is, but I think he will be slowly introduced to Premier League football rather than thrown in the deep end, It will be down to him to prove himself in Cup games or when he gets an opportunity. I'd be very surprised if he started first game of the season.

Vidic and (an aging) Ferdinand were arguably the best partnership in the world a few years ago.

Terry and Cahill were the stand out pair last year.

What allows these defenders to appear so great despite their lack of pace is both their own positioning, awareness etc....but also the protection they get from full-backs and central midfield.

Torres showed what a mug vidic was when 1 on 1 with a slightly pacey forward, but top players don't allow it to happen on a regular basis.

I don't think the best way to harness potential is by sticking your eggs in a 21 year old academy products basket. He hasn't played at that level and throwing a player like him in the deep end with world class players can do damage.

Plus, I don't think he is ready.

I think he is ready, if Pearson selects him, then its obvious he does too.

So we are going to have ping pong pantomine posts...no he isnt....oh yes he is.

The truth is we dont know about any of our players, PL creditability.

Just give them a chance...throw away the preperation of glib remarks , like I told you so...

If Moore, Schlupp dont make the grade then teams like city will never have a chance, we have produced

A u21, and a young international Talent.Small clubs like us need these type of players to hold their own and

Develope quickly. Age isnt the issue, if your good enough your old enough. Have some faith and stop bashing people

Before a ball is kicked, they deserve and have actually earnt their chance, or do you think otherwise.

Maybe spending 20 mill for 2 defenders is your solution.

Vidic and (an aging) Ferdinand were arguably the best partnership in the world a few years ago.

Terry and Cahill were the stand out pair last year.

What allows these defenders to appear so great despite their lack of pace is both their own positioning, awareness etc....but also the protection they get from full-backs and central midfield.

Torres showed what a mug vidic was when 1 on 1 with a slightly pacey forward, but top players don't allow it to happen on a regular basis.

Ferdinand and Gary Cahill are decent across the ground?

Ferdinand and Gary Cahill are decent across the ground?

Cahill is to an extent - but watch his performances at the world cup (His movement during the cross to balotelli was dreadful) and against athletico madrid.

Ferdinand was, about 4 years ago, but not in fergie's last season.

I don't think the best way to harness potential is by sticking your eggs in a 21 year old academy products basket. He hasn't played at that level and throwing a player like him in the deep end with world class players can do damage.

Plus, I don't think he is ready.

How does he get experience at Prem level without playing in the Prem?

This is no win debate

But for me the question is this: Do you think our defence is good enough to hold its own against teams like QPR, Burnley, Aston Villa, WBA, Hull, Swansea, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Stoke & West Ham?

I think they're more than capable.

Teams like, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea can have field day against any of the teams mentioned above.

Staying in the Premier League is not about how well we do against the big boys, it's how many points we get against teams like your QPR's, West Ham's & WBA.

Just like last season, doubters on here spouting on about Drinkwater & Vardy not being good enough and needed replacing, I really hope Schlupp makes the LB spot his own and has a cracking season.

For years we have been moaning the Academy doesn't provide anybody or we don't give them a chance. Then when we get a couple of real gems, people want us to spend money bringing in players to push them down the pecking order.

People shouldn't be worried about Liam & Jeff not being good enough, they should be more worried when they prove they're good enough and the big boys come sniffing around and we have to try and keep them at club.

Nigel's no idiot, if we come up a pacey striker then we'll play a deep line and not allow any space in behind for a striker to exploit. If we are caught behind then there aren't going to be too many forwards who can outpace Schlupp or de Laet. 

I know it was only a friendly but our set up against Everton was very obvious from the start, as soon as we lost the ball we'd get back in numbers, 2 banks of four and look to defend very deep and narrow so to  stop any movement between the lines. If we were to adopt this approach next season then I think a pacey centre half would be wasted in that set up, and if Upson still has it he'd fit into that sort of system easily.

Would be severely disappointed if Liam doesn't make double figures this season, he's playing alongside a 30, 34 and 35 year old so I'm sure Pearson will have him in line to be a first teamer by the end of this season.  Can't see us signing any more defenders now unless Pearson is worried about Upson's fitness.

So, where are these pacey CB's that you want us to sign?

Caulker for one, Cardiff picked him up?

Nedum onouha who I was impressed with last season.

But I don't have the privilege of having a scouting network across the world working for me.

Yes, they cost a few more quid, but I fear for Matthew Upson based on his last season in the PL and think we need a more mobile centre half.

Caulker for one, Cardiff picked him up?

Nedum onouha who I was impressed with last season.

But I don't have the privilege of having a scouting network across the world working for me.

Yes, they cost a few more quid, but I fear for Matthew Upson based on his last season in the PL and think we need a more mobile centre half.

So you've damned a player before he's played a game?

Plus, is caulker that pacey?

Archived