Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Manchester United pre-match thread

Think we'll start Vardy with Ulloa. I think their defensive frailties are too glaring to ignore. Vardy will give Blackett nightmares. Not that Nugent has done anything to deserve being dropped, purely that Vardy will have 5 yards on them before they even blink.

Totally agree. It's too much of an opportunity to pass up imo. Can't see Nuge hurting them as much as Vardy. That's not to criticise Nuge

Hi there, United fan in peace.

First of all congratulations on your promotion. I've been quietly looking at your results for a while now and was really happy when you lot finally got promoted. Deserved winners of the Championship and after all the heartbreaks you've suffered over the last few years, I'm glad you're finally back where you belong. A real Premier League club!

As for the guy from RedCafe who says you're a plastic club, that's bollocks. As I've said before, you lot deserve to be in the Premier League. I'd rather have you lot than bloody Stoke and the like.

Anyway, back to the game. What are your strengths and weaknesses? What formation and players do you think you'll put out? Anyone think you might nick this one? I have no doubt it'll be a difficult game but I'm quietly confident we can win this. 2-1 or 1-0 to United for me.

We'll probably play a diamond, similar to the one we played against QPR. What I like most about the new formation is that it isn't fixed. It's consistently moving. It even turns into a 3-5-2 at different times in the match. We'll line up most probably like this:

DDG

Rafael-Evans-Rojo-Shaw

Blind

Herrera----Di Maria

Mata

Falcao------Rooney

Rafael provides an outlet on the right going forward with Herrera also on the right but more inside. On the other side of the pitch is a compete different story, in the last game anyway, where Di Maria was out wide, with the left back, in this case Rojo, cutting inside. Interesting to see how you'll deal with that and whether we keep that system in place with Shaw most probably coming in at left back.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to the discussion on here. Hoping we beat you after so many years away from the Walkers' or should I say the KP now.

First of all congratulations on your promotion. I've been quietly looking at your results for a while now and was really happy when you lot finally got promoted. Deserved winners of the Championship and after all the heartbreaks you've suffered over the last few years, I'm glad you're finally back where you belong. A real Premier League club!

As for the guy from RedCafe who says you're a plastic club, that's bollocks. As I've said before, you lot deserve to be in the Premier League. I'd rather have you lot than bloody Stoke and the like.

Anyway, back to the game. What are your strengths and weaknesses? What formation and players do you think you'll put out? Anyone think you might nick this one? I have no doubt it'll be a difficult game but I'm quietly confident we can win this. 2-1 or 1-0 to United for me.

We'll probably play a diamond, similar to the one we played against QPR. What I like most about the new formation is that it isn't fixed. It's consistently moving. It even turns into a 3-5-2 at different times in the match. We'll line up most probably like this:

DDG

Rafael-Evans-Rojo-Shaw

Blind

Herrera----Di Maria

Mata

Falcao------Rooney

Rafael provides an outlet on the right going forward with Herrera also on the right but more inside. On the other side of the pitch is a compete different story, in the last game anyway, where Di Maria was out wide, with the left back, in this case Rojo, cutting inside. Interesting to see how you'll deal with that and whether we keep that system in place with Shaw most probably coming in at left back.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to the discussion on here. Hoping we beat you after so many years away from the Walkers' or should I say the KP now.

Welcome. Think we might nick a draw and certainly won't be pushovers like QPR. Your attacking options are crazy to be fair but I think we might have enough to cause your defence a few problems

Welcome. Think we might nick a draw and certainly won't be pushovers like QPR. Your attacking options are crazy to be fair but I think we might have enough to cause your defence a few problems

That's what I'm worried about. I'm not too clued up on how good you are attacking wise but our defence isn't the greatest. To the guy who said Blackett has been shit this season, well that's just a load of bollocks. He's been probably our best defender apart from Jones this season. A real surprise because he was woeful for Birmingham last season and I honesty thought he'd get released. But hey, ho, LvG worked his magic and decided to play him as a left sided CB and it's worked so far. Looked a little iffy on the weekend but to expected from a 20 year old. Having said that, all things considered when injuries and suspensions have cleared up, I don't think he'll be starting many games for us.

Our attacking options are crazy, you're right but at the moment RvP is woefully out of form and deserves to be dropped with Falcao looking a better option than him at the moment. Think he might show the Premier League what they've been missing out on Sunday lunchtime. Apart from that, everyone else will play, with only Januzaj being the player that'll perhaps miss out, which is a shame as he scored a hattrick playing within himself last night for the reserves.

Cambiasso looks good from the little I've seen of him on the highlights and I see some of our former United lads are making a name for themselves at LCFC. Great to see! Whose the best of the bunch? I think Lawrence will end up being a tidy bit of business for you and if you can get Powell on a permanent deal, I'll be absolutely distraught.

DDG

Rafael-Evans-Rojo-Shaw

Blind

Herrera----Di Maria

Mata

Falcao------Rooney

You can't help but be amazed by your squad at this time! It's something else. Likewise, we can't help but feel slightly more confident having beaten stoke on Saturday. My head is telling me we will lose but my hearts saying we could nick a draw again. Having said all of that, one thing I will assure you of is that we will not bend over and get spanked like QPR did. We don't allow shots to rain down on our goal, we'll block everything we can. We will fight and push, we'll frustrate you guys because we're a real team and our lads would die for eachother. These are our biggest strengths. As for weakness' I'm not sure we know them yet. This is a new team. We've only lost one so far and that was against Chelsea who were lucky to score imo. I think our biggest weakness could be our ability to finish. With the exception of Ulloa we haven't really been hitting the back of the net. Like I said, knowing our weakness right now isn't easy as we're playing so well and haven't had a lot of games yet. Enjoy your day at the KP but don't take us lightly, we're no QPR.

DDG

Rafael-Evans-Rojo-Shaw

Blind

Herrera----Di Maria

Mata

Falcao------Rooney

Welcome :-)

I am an eternal pessimist so I am predicting a 3-0 or 4-1 Man U win. Based on nothing bar your attack and my own pessimism. 

I think Nigel will stick with 442 but I did like the 451/ 433 he changed it to for the second half at stoke.

Cambiasso looked class and alongside Drinkwater changed the game so would like to see them start.

If we can attack your defence we have the speed and strength to trouble it especially as I see it as your weakest point.

If blacket plays he is young and inexperienced and if shaw comes in, then the back 4 have not played together before so we may be able to expliot that.

DDG

Rafael-Evans-Rojo-Shaw

Blind

Herrera----Di Maria

Mata

Falcao------Rooney

We will most likely approach the game like the Arsenal game, pressuring and closing down quickly, not letting anyone get comfortable on the ball and forcing mistakes with constant pressure. Our wingers are quite disciplined and will drop back and cover the full back and then get forwards and provide the outlet when we win the ball back. They were both superb against Arsenal but worryingly they both ran themselves into the ground and had to be subbed. Similar against Chelsea fatigue started setting around 60 minutes and we failed to close them down properly and conceded twice. Against Arsenal we had better substitutes to bring on so we were able to maintain our shape.

I expect us to continue with 4411, but the fact that we have a number of new signings and players coming back from injuries means we have more or less a full and fit squad to pick from for the first time and a few poor performances against Stoke means we could change it, switch to a 4231/451 to incorporate Cambiasso and Drinkwater into the team. Personally I don't think that is Nigel's style he will stick to 4411 with everyone knowing their role but make a few personnel changes. Hopefully Schmeichel will be fit, you just know he would love to play against United:

Kasper

De Laet Moore Morgan Konchesky

Mahrez Cambiasso Hammond Schlupp

Nugent

Ulloa

Would be my prediction, if we are losing or just can't get into the game then Drinkwater, Vardy and maybe Lawrence to come on to see if he can tempt you into triggering that £11million buy back clause.

I am hoping for a repeat of the Arsenal game 1-1, unfortunately the focal point of your attack is significantly better than Sanogo, so I'm not optimistic.

You can't help but be amazed by your squad at this time! It's something else. Likewise, we can't help but feel slightly more confident having beaten stoke on Saturday. My head is telling me we will lose but my hearts saying we could nick a draw again. Having said all of that, one thing I will assure you of is that we will not bend over and get spanked like QPR did. We don't allow shots to rain down on our goal, we'll block everything we can. We will fight and push, we'll frustrate you guys because we're a real team and our lads would die for eachother. These are our biggest strengths. As for weakness' I'm not sure we know them yet. This is a new team. We've only lost one so far and that was against Chelsea who were lucky to score imo. I think our biggest weakness could be our ability to finish. With the exception of Ulloa we haven't really been hitting the back of the net. Like I said, knowing our weakness right now isn't easy as we're playing so well and haven't had a lot of games yet. Enjoy your day at the KP but don't take us lightly, we're no QPR.

One of our biggest weaknesses is the inability to deal with pressing. Any team that remotely pressed us last season at home came away with a point or more. Away from home, we're a bit better because teams are more open and we have a bit more time and space. This current team hasn't deal with pressing in the Premier League yet so if you can do that, you'll cause us problems.

Di Maria, Blind and Herrera are probably our key players at the moment. Stop them and you're stopping United's heartbeat. Everything goes through them. I know that's fairly obvious but as a United fan, we've gotten accustomed to having no midfield and bypassing it completely. We all know about Di Maria but Blind is probably the man you have to stop the most. Recycles play so efficiently and is such a clever player to have. Herrera and Di Maria will cause you problems going forward but Blind will be the fulcrum of it all.

I have no doubt you lot will cause us problems and we've already dropped points to Sunderland and Burnley away but something's telling me we'll sneak it at the KP. You've had such a great start, surely you'll get complacent at the weekend?!

That's what I'm worried about. I'm not too clued up on how good you are attacking wise but our defence isn't the greatest. To the guy who said Blackett has been shit this season, well that's just a load of bollocks. He's been probably our best defender apart from Jones this season. A real surprise because he was woeful for Birmingham last season and I honesty thought he'd get released. But hey, ho, LvG worked his magic and decided to play him as a left sided CB and it's worked so far. Looked a little iffy on the weekend but to expected from a 20 year old. Having said that, all things considered when injuries and suspensions have cleared up, I don't think he'll be starting many games for us.

Our attacking options are crazy, you're right but at the moment RvP is woefully out of form and deserves to be dropped with Falcao looking a better option than him at the moment. Think he might show the Premier League what they've been missing out on Sunday lunchtime. Apart from that, everyone else will play, with only Januzaj being the player that'll perhaps miss out, which is a shame as he scored a hattrick playing within himself last night for the reserves.

Cambiasso looks good from the little I've seen of him on the highlights and I see some of our former United lads are making a name for themselves at LCFC. Great to see! Whose the best of the bunch? I think Lawrence will end up being a tidy bit of business for you and if you can get Powell on a permanent deal, I'll be absolutely distraught.

Drinkwater has been outstanding. Had a tough start but was without doubt our best player last season. He and Matty James formed a formidable partnership so it will be interesting to see if Pearson goes back to that when James is fit.

Vardy could be one to look out for as his pace really is top class. He won't give your defenders a moments rest. Ulloa also looks like a great piece of business. Mahrez on his day is a great player

Welcome :-)

I am an eternal pessimist so I am predicting a 3-0 or 4-1 Man U win. Based on nothing bar your attack and my own pessimism.

I think Nigel will stick with 442 but I did like the 451/ 433 he changed it to for the second half at stoke.

Cambiasso looked class and alongside Drinkwater changed the game so would like to see them start.

If we can attack your defence we have the speed and strength to trouble it especially as I see it as your weakest point.

If blacket plays he is young and inexperienced and if shaw comes in, then the back 4 have not played together before so we may be able to expliot that.

Yep, Cambiasso is a huge coup for you guys but while he's still a class player, he looks like he's lost the legs a tad so I'm interested in how Herrera, Mata and Di Maria can take advantage of that.

I'm an eternal pessimist, or rather I've become one since Moyes took over, so I can't see us thrashing you especially with the start you've had but I'd take any win. If I'm honest, a draw I'd be very disappointed in.

Blackett is inexperienced but he's been one of our best players. Having said that, he probably won't play against you lot.

We will most likely approach the game like the Arsenal game, pressuring and closing down quickly, not letting anyone get comfortable on the ball and forcing mistakes with constant pressure. Our wingers are quite disciplined and will drop back and cover the full back and then get forwards and provide the outlet when we win the ball back. They were both superb against Arsenal but worryingly they both ran themselves into the ground and had to be subbed. Similar against Chelsea fatigue started setting around 60 minutes and we failed to close them down properly and conceded twice. Against Arsenal we had better substitutes to bring on so we were able to maintain our shape.

I expect us to continue with 4411, but the fact that we have a number of new signings and players coming back from injuries means we have more or less a full and fit squad to pick from for the first time and a few poor performances against Stoke means we could change it, switch to a 4231/451 to incorporate Cambiasso and Drinkwater into the team. Personally I don't think that is Nigel's style he will stick to 4411 with everyone knowing their role but make a few personnel changes. Hopefully Schmeichel will be fit, you just know he would love to play against United:

Kasper

De Laet Moore Morgan Konchesky

Mahrez Cambiasso Hammond Schlupp

Nugent

Ulloa

Would be my prediction, if we are losing or just can't get into the game then Drinkwater, Vardy and maybe Lawrence to come on to see if he can tempt you into triggering that £11million buy back clause.

I am hoping for a repeat of the Arsenal game 1-1, unfortunately the focal point of your attack is significantly better than Sanogo, so I'm not optimistic.

Cheers. If you play anywhere near as good as how I saw you play against Arsenal, then we're in for a game. Vardy is what worries me especially against the frail defence. Evans has always got a mistake in him especially when dealing with strong or pacey players. Ulloa and Vardy fit the bill so it'll be interesting to see that battle.

Drinkwater has come on leaps and bounds, as has Matty James, which is very pleasing to see. Let's just hope the young lads decide to have a off game against their former clubs, something which almost never happens. They also seem to have blinders and even sometimes score against us!

Drinkwater has been outstanding. Had a tough start but was without doubt our best player last season. He and Matty James formed a formidable partnership so it will be interesting to see if Pearson goes back to that when James is fit.

Vardy could be one to look out for as his pace really is top class. He won't give your defenders a moments rest. Ulloa also looks like a great piece of business. Mahrez on his day is a great player

We're certainly in for a game. Still quietly confident we'll beat you mind. :)

Drinkwater just shades James in terms of overall impact, when Drinkwater plays well the team does. Him and James were the best midfield in the league last season and it was no surprise we dominated so many matches. James has been out injured so it'll be great to see him back.

We haven't seen Powell and Lawrence yet and after a shaky start De Laet has been really good in the last two matches, following on from an excellent season last year.

Yep, Cambiasso is a huge coup for you guys but while he's still a class player, he looks like he's lost the legs a tad so I'm interested in how Herrera, Mata and Di Maria can take advantage of that.

I'm an eternal pessimist, or rather I've become one since Moyes took over, so I can't see us thrashing you especially with the start you've had but I'd take any win. If I'm honest, a draw I'd be very disappointed in.

Blackett is inexperienced but he's been one of our best players. Having said that, he probably won't play against you lot.

I don't Cambiasso plays a different role a bit like gerrard, sitting deep  and not chasing the play. hopefully his brain will make up for the loss of pace.

Blacketts only mistake I have seen is throwing the ball to the opposition to take a quick throw but like i say, it is not lack of quality just experience.

I will build myself up to believe we can win over the course of the week and then get up sunday and start worrying about RVP Di Maria Falcao Rooney Blind Mata  Herrara lol 

Mainly I just want us to put up a fight (unlike that shamble of sh*te that is QPR), our lads seem to really care about the club and put their bodies on the line to block shots and run themselves into the ground so hopefully we can come away with your lot knowing you have been in a game :-)

Drinkwater just shades James in terms of overall impact, when Drinkwater plays well the team does. Him and James were the best midfield in the league last season and it was no surprise we dominated so many matches. James has been out injured so it'll be great to see him back.

We haven't seen Powell and Lawrence yet and after a shaky start De Laet has been really good in the last two matches, following on from an excellent season last year.

Cheers. Wasn't entirely sold on James and Drinkwater becoming PL players but fair play to the two. We'll see how well they do this season. De Laet is a good player also but Lawrence and especially Powell are a cut above, imo.

May be we should play everyone with a United connection they will all raise their game:

Schmeichel

De Laet  Morgan James Simpson

Barmby  Drinkwater

Lawrence Powell* Schlupp

Ulloa

*I know he can't play against his parent club

Ulloa must have a united connection....he is argentinian and so is Di Maria 

Cheers. Wasn't entirely sold on James and Drinkwater becoming PL players but fair play to the two. We'll see how well they do this season. De Laet is a good player also but Lawrence and especially Powell are a cut above, imo.

Drinkwater was superb when he joined but went totally off the boil from February to May 2013, it coincided with a terrible run of form for the team and he lost his place. There were reports last summer that he was transfer listed but Pearson picked him for the first match and he never looked back, got a goal, kept his place and was immense throughout. He looks a goal threat from midfield too.

James has had a few injuries during his time with us but when he's played he's bullied teams, driving forward with the ball, getting stuck in and hardly ever giving the ball away. Could do with a few more goals though.

For years we'd struggled to get a grip on the midfield area, we had Richie Wellens (another player you may remember) but he was a player that used to look for the perfect pass and took too long on the ball. Now we have three very good midfielders in Drinky, James and Cambiasso whilst our back ups King and Hammond have been impressive so far.

You'll certainly be challenged in the midfield area far more than you were against QPR, we are a team that presses high up the pitch.

From the little bits and pieces of United I've caught it's Evans who looks the shakiest at the back. Vardy or Nuge is the toughest decision Pearson has in my opinion, I think Nugent is a lot more disciplined than Vardy and he's been terrific (bar Stoke where he looked a little lost) at dropping in to help the midfield when needed, but Vardy completely trumps him for both speed and stamina. 

[On another note, how brilliant is it having Yanited fans sign up to discuss forthcoming games compared to the likes of Watford and Charlton?]

Hey as a couple others I'm a United fan that has joined recently. 

I agree with the other poster that said Blackett has been one of our best players this year which surprised me a bit because he was poor on loan at Birmingham last season. But he seems to relished going up a level and done well in pre-season and has carried it on. 

I think the match will be close. It will be interesting to see how we cope with teams pressing us. We haven't done too well in the past but with a few new players and a change in tactics I hope we will cope well. 

I watched the match vs Arsenal which I think you should have won and saw highlights of the Everton and Chelsea games. Hopefully we can get the win and the QPR game wasn't a false dawn!

Archived