Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Manchester United pre-match thread

yeah i too would drop schlupp and use him from the bench like the everton game. 

however i dunno if i'd drop him for knockaert, lawrence or albrighton or whether we'd change the formation, drop nuge to a wing/behind ulloa and play 3 in the middle of the park. SO MANY OPTIONS 

Part of me would like to see Lawrence thrown in. I'm still a fan of us playing 4-4-2 but I don't think Schlupp, Albrighton or Knockaert deserve to start.

Schmeichel

RDL           Morgan                  Moore              Konchesky

Hammond        Cambiasso

Mahrez     Drinkwater    Vardy

Ulloa

Hamer, Nugent, Wood, Albrighton, Wasilewski, King, Knockaert

Would love to see Drinkwater in the Number 10 role!

Anyone know what the odds were before the season of both teams in this game going into it level on points given the squads and fixture list?

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Drinkwater

Cambiasso

Hammond

Vardy

Ulloa

Mahrez

absolutely no chance that MJ will start ahead of DH. nigel is not a man of emmotions. he will keep the players that delivered - he should have learned a lesson yesterday (potentially tired players should not start PL games) but i dont think that will change his ways.

With Pearson it's simply a matter of it's your shirt until you don't preform, injuries aside. Surprising some just don't see it

We lost the first half, anyone that was there will agree that we got destroyed all over the pitch in the 1st and realistically should have been 1 - 0 down if it wasn't for Stoke missing chances. We won the second half in terms of our ability, chances created, and result.. and you don't change a winning side. 

So I think Pearson will keep the 4 - 3 - 3 he played vs Man U unless he thinks different after seeing Man U carve QPR's 4 - 3 - 3 earlier today.

Kasper will be back if fit because we will need to retain possession instead of kicking the ball out for a Man U throw in.

DeLaet keeps his place, the ex-man u players will be wanting their best performances. Drinkwater starts IMO, with Cambiasso and King (if fit) Hammond if not.

So a 4 - 3 - 3 on attack, 4 - 5 - 1 on  defense with Schlupp wide left, Nuge wide right - seemed to work vs Stoke.

People posting sides without Nugent lol

He's worked hard so far this season but doesn't provide much goal threat, with a more attacking midfield including Danny and Cambiasso I'd expect Vardys pace to be a decent option.

There really are so many options depending on the manager's chosen approach. What concerns me slightly is not central midfield but rather providing more goals threat in support of Ulloa.

We desperately need the rapid support of someone like Schlupp but neither he nor the less pacey Mayrez show great signs of scoring and neither does Nugent for all his industry.

With a seeming lack of great scoring potential from central midfield I'm just concerned about where enough goals will be coming from. Four from four games so far has at least kept us competitive but I doubt it will be enough across the season. We won't get many goalscoring opportunities compared with more established teams so it's vital to have others offering a threat as well as Ulloa.

Surely Kevin Phillips can make more of Schlupp's potential - because he does get chances - but we also need more help for Ulloa in the central attacking area.

Good post. If we start to struggle this season I'm convinced it will be due to exactly what you've said. We have no real goal scoring midfielders in the squad. Drinkwater, James and King will pop up with the occasional one, but if our strikers dry up in front of goal, I can't see where other goals are going to come from. At least not on a consistent basis.

The team will play will be based on whether Pearson goes for it, or is cautious. If the former, I wouldn't be surprised at a 4-3-3. If the latter, a 4-5-1.

But most expecting a win by a few goals (including those who think it will be tough???). That's good. Over confidence of our opponents is one of our best weapons this season.

Given we've got the same amount of points and our fixtures have been harder every single week so far, predicting a win by "a few goals" is absolutely insane.

They will rightly be favourites though.

I think Nigel should get all the ex-Manchester United lads together (and we've got a few!), and say to them,

"I'll give you some game time on Saturday, and I want you to go out there and show them what you can do!"

It might just make the Old Trafford management team sit up and think why on earth they let them go in the first place. Their loss, our gain!

Feeling confident going into this. Had you told me this time last year we'd take points off Everton, Arsenal and Stoke away I would have laughed, yet we've been superb so far.

In terms of Man U, I'm glad they're decimating QPR right now, it was bound to happen at some stage and happening now rather than frustrating them again and being determined for our game next week could only be beneficial to us. Hopefully they're over-confident and we can snatch an upset.

Reckon we'll start Cambiasso and Drinkwater, possibly in a three with King, and Schmeichel may return. Going 3-2 Leicester if we play at the top of our game and can catch them off their guard.

You're right - that result today was probably ideal for us. Obviously, QPR dropped points, but that looks less important than it was with them being cack. The main thing is that Utd won. The pressure's off them now, and hopefully that means their guard will be down. With any luck, they'll show up expecting another easy 3 points off another poor promoted club, and we'll wipe the smug looks off their faces.

I know I'm getting carried away, but a win from this match would make me so happy.

I would be pleased with a point although we are definitely capable of beating them by the odd goal, if Vardy starts alongside Ulloa I am confident we will beat them, if he doesn't I think it will be a draw, pace will give Manchester United problems it was evident today with Traore for QPR albeit for a limited time period.

Worldbeater squad once they gel. 3-0 us, not as high scoring as today, but much of the same performance. Nothing more than a training exercise for this team. It'll be a step towards getting this team to bond.

Not really. Leicester will comfortably survive this season. However we'll beat them, for the first time in 2 years we've looked like United. The old United. And even 50% of the old United is too much for a freshly promoted teams. 

we'll win 0-3 or 0-4.

Knockaert should be nowhere near the squad for this, not what we need for this type of game, we need defensive(ish) wide men, and wide men who will be able to counter attack with threat. Same side that was on when Ulloa scored vs Stoke, bench of- Smith/Hamer if Kaspers fit, Simpson,Was, King, Albrighton, Vardy, Mahrez

Archived