Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Manchester United pre-match thread

Man Utd have great firepower and despite our defensive heroics I can't see us keeping them out for 90 minutes; however, I believe their defence to be their greatest weakness at present so want to see attacking options such as Schlupp and Mahrez in the team.  I know that they haven't had their best games recently but they both have the potential to get past the Man Utd defence.  I would leave Hammond in the team because he's done a job for us defensively in midfield that has been valuable, and after last Saturday's second half want to see DD and Cambiasso start.  I'd leave Nugent out for tactical reasons only, I believe that he does a good job for the team and am quite happy to see him start most matches, I just think that there's a better side for this particular match:

Kasper (if fit)

RDL     Moore    Morgan   Konch

Mahrez  DD  Cambiasso  Hammond  Schlupp

Ulloa

Mahrez and Schlupp probably won't do the whole game so I'd want to bring Vardy on at some point.  His attacking style could also disrupt the Man Utd defence.

Really looking forward to this one.

Are people still badgering out about making loads of changes!? Just because you're picking the best 11 players doesn't mean it will set up to be the best team.

Drinkwater, Cambiasso, Vardy etc will have to stay patient, the ones in control of the jersey are keeping it by playing fvcking well and getting points.

Not easy just bringing these players in, because it will result in a different shape and style of play, and the style we have adopted against the 3 'big teams' we have played so far has been pretty effective.

Hamer (Preferably Kasper)

RDL

Moore

Morgan

Konch

Schlupp

Hammond

King (Possibly DD)

Mahrez

Nugent

Ulloa

Subs = Smith, Simpson, Cambiasso, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Knockaert, Vardy

This is the point. king will be dropped when he doesn't perform. What did he do wrong ? The system left a tired player 2 against 3 in the middle. That's not kings fault. A good tests of Nigel's usual mantra (as is kasper v hamer).

Man U likely to play 2 up top so 4-4-2 will match up. Expect nuge to play as he is best to continually buzz around and annoy the holding midfielder.

Nigel's should have learned from Saturday that at this level, you can be punished if you have players who are exposed for fitness. If he can get this over the players (that as a team, we can change some of the personnel every few games to get the fittest players out there) and they buy into it, then we have a chance of keeping this level of performance going.

In this case, then we could see EC and DD start.

Pondering whether keeping a 4-3-3 would be a good move against an attacking side as threatening as Manchester United.

Still, you can't look past these:

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Cambiasso

Drinkwater

Hammond

Mahrez

Ulloa

Nugent

Subs: Hamer, Wasilewski, Simpson, King, James/Knockaert, Schlupp, Vardy

Nugent should start and be replaced by Vardy in the second half, who can run an exhausted ManU defense ragged.

Man Utd deserve credit for their preformance yesterday because they did well. But I think your giving them too much credit tbh. QPR were shite!

Uniteds back 4 could possibly be worse than the 4 we have played so far. If we do what we have been doing so far we will cause all sorts of problems.

The big problem we will face is obviously Di Maria on the wing... I think Hammond is a must for this game to sit in hole as Rooney or Mata are most dangerous in the number 10 spot.

I think Wes/Moore will have their hands full if they opt for Falcao/VP as they are both number 9's and both have a point to prove.

But other than that, I can see us asking a lot of questions on the counter... Blind looks like something they have needed for a while.. He swept things up nicely yesterday... But again, QPR looked dreadful!

IMO if we play at our best and not get fazed by 100's of millions of quid as the opposition... We can win!

I'd go for

Hamer(Kasper if fit)

De Laet  Moore  Morgan  Konch

Hammond

Mahrez    Cambiasso   Drinky    Schlupp

Ulloa

Hamer

DeLate                       Morgan                         Moore                             Konchesky

Cambiasso

Kind                            Drinkwater

Mahrez                                                       Nugent                                               Vardu

Ulloa

Even though they didn't concede yesterday, this United defence is definitely vulnerable. Tyler Blackett seems to be a starter at centre back at the moment and he's probably on par with Michael Keane.

I'm assuming Luke Shaw will come in at some point, not sure if the weekend will be too soon though.

Hamer

DeLate                       Morgan                         Moore                             Konchesky

Cambiasso

Kind                            Drinkwater

Mahrez                                                       Nugent                                               Vardu

Ulloa

Don't think they'll allow us 12 players!

They might be Kind and allow us to have an extra central midfielder

I think after Saturday Esteban will start-he was class. I'd like to see him nutmeg Rooney on the edge of the box in the second minute, sending him into a frothing purple rage resulting in him trying to headbutt Morgan and being sent off, unconscious, before Van Gaal has even taken his seat...

:nigel:

Uniteds back 4 could possibly be worse than the 4 we have played so far. If we do what we have been doing so far we will cause all sorts of problems.

Not sure I agree with that tbh.

Rafael, Evans, Rojo, Shaw is a decent line up. Add in the protection of Blind and it's not even close to the weakest we've faced. Everton's would take that award I'm afraid. With Blackett in there in it is more inexperienced and more than likely weaker but don't think we're going to stroll through it.

Hard to tell from yesterday how much of it was Utd being good and QPR being poor. We were a completely different proposition to them last season and again this, Utd won't find us meekly bending over for them.

They have some great attacking talent but that defence is vulnerable and can be got at.

Same set up and style for me, defend deep and counter quickly. I trust Pearson on the personnel, they're all showing they can play at this level so I won't worry about who he picks. I'd expect Hamer to keep his place though, Nige has never been one for dropping players that take their chance and perform well. I certainly wouldn't complain if he brought Kasper back in though.

Utd are going to be favourites but I think we'll grab a draw

It's a shame we're going to face Man U just as they're getting into their stride. Van Gaal has done well in the window.

I do think we can get at their defence but I'm concerned about us defending from wide positions.

If we lose, we lose, I just hope we start as well as we can because we won't get away with a first half like Saturday's again.

I'm not surprised United fans think they will beat us comfortably, they looked a much better proposition yesterday.

Then again, if they don't think we're better than QPR they need to think again.

Qpr gave them far too much space yesterday and sat too deep it was obvious once manure got one they would go on to win comfortably. Sky love fest for them was embarrasing along with Alan Green on radio 5 live who said yesterday, "they have Leicester next pity them?"

We will not give them that much space and I would at least hope we will test their defence more than ruddy qpr did?

Whoever has heard of Blackett for gords sake?

We are the home team and I believe it will be a great game.

Same team that started the second half against Stoke please bring it on.

We'll definitely make a better fight of it than QPR did. Never got in the faces of United and allowed them all the time in the world. Won't get that luxury with Vardy and Ulloa (or Nuge).

Another positive performance from our boys will do me. Result will just be a bonus as we're the Everton and Arsenal ones. Second half team against stoke to start for me unless kasper is back

1-1

Ulloa

Mata

Tough selection for NP. Good.

Issue for me is around right-side midfield. ADM destroyed QPR by running quickly, directly and from deep. We have to stop that. Knocky is better defensively that Mahrez. Radically, could play Simpson at right-back and push RDL to right mid to try and negate him at source.

Tough selection for NP. Good.

Issue for me is around right-side midfield. ADM destroyed QPR by running quickly, directly and from deep. We have to stop that. Knocky is better defensively that Mahrez. Radically, could play Simpson at right-back and push RDL to right mid to try and negate him at source.

Not a bad idea. We've dealt pretty well against some other top left mids though so not essential although Di Maria did look great yesterday.

I think our own positivity will do us good defensively. Even though United looked very good going forward I still think they looked a bit dodgy at the back and a better team (ie; us) would've scored against them

Archived