Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Manchester United pre-match thread

We've never really had a spell long enough away from the top division where you could class us as a "sleeping giant", where we haven't looked like getting promoted for eight to 10 years. Even in the last decade we managed to reach two play-offs, one more than Leeds have managed. Sheffield Wednesday went down in 2000 and haven't got anywhere near coming back (they may do this season).

Tradtionally we've been a top flight club or challenging near the top of the second tier, it's only 2004-2009 in the last 50 years where we had a long spell of being nowhere near the top flight/ aiming for promotion.

We haven't hit the heights of some clubs (Forest, Leeds) but then we haven't hit the depths (Wolves, Portsmouth, Burnley) from great heights either.

Only other Leicester City fan I've run into in my entire life was on the infield at Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the 2005 US Grand Prix. A really fat kid with a Leicester City flag, saw him from across the grandstand. I was drunk as hell and saw the flag and immediately screamed "LEEEEESSSTAAAAAAHHHHHH" at him and he looked over at me, also drunk, and screamed "SLEEPINGGG GIANTSS OF THE MIDDDLAANNDDSS" then tried to wave but lost his balance and tumbled down the steps. I think he was seriously injured.

So as far as I know Leicester City are sleeping giants. My informal poll of Leicester City fans came back with nearly universal agreement.

But surely if they were beating the majority of teams they wouldn't be sleeping. The Wolves side of the mid eighties were always described as sleeping giants, and seemed quite fair.

One club that I've always though had the potential to be much bigger are Bristol City. With the size of the catchment area etc, I'm surprised no one has taken them further.

By comfortably beats, I means the set up and fan base rather than their results.

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Cambiasso

Hammond

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Ulloa

Vardy

Subs: Schlupp, Nugent, Hamer, King, Knockaert, Simpson and Lawrence.

Really like the look of this team would love Vardy to hit form, based on last season he has the ability to me a menace in the prem, just needs goals and confidence back. Only fear is that the system puts pressure on full backs but I guess we can change things with Schlupp coming on and going 442 or 451

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how butthurt some United fans get over various social media platforms.

One thing I've never understood is how a lot of them have never witnessed a game in the flesh.

Random from United Arab Emirates says "Leicester are going to get a beating after we slapped QPR".

Cringe.

Really like the look of this team would love Vardy to hit form, based on last season he has the ability to me a menace in the prem, just needs goals and confidence back. Only fear is that the system puts pressure on full backs but I guess we can change things with Schlupp coming on and going 442 or 451

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vardy to hit? Get his confidence back?

He's been injured so he hasn't lost any of his phenominal form from last season, nor his confidence. I think he just need some game time, start games and he will hit the ground running and cause havoc to defences like he did last season.

One thing defenders hate to defend is pace, and i think he could be one of the top ten fastest players in the prem.

Forest are DEFINITELY not bigger than us. I can't believe anyone on this forum would say so. Their ground is sh1t, their average attendance is similar or lower. They have no more potential than us given that Leicester has a bigger population than Nottingham. We've also been more successful than them for the last 20 years. They had one brief, amazing spell of success. Doesn't make them bigger. We're basically very similar clubs in terms of size. Could have been us if O'Neill had become manager in the 70s like Clough. Then you could win big stuff if you had an amazing manager, as the properly big clubs were not so financially dominant. Leeds are bigger than us as their fanbase home and away is bigger and Leeds is a bigger city. That's my view anyway!

Just been on one of their forums (RedCafe.net) and the amount of people saying they will not be happy unless they put 4 or 5 past us is insane. There are some down to earth people who just predicted a scrappy 1-0 win, but so many people are too optimistic

Just been on one of their forums (RedCafe.net) and the amount of people saying they will not be happy unless they put 4 or 5 past us is insane. There are some down to earth people who just predicted a scrappy 1-0 win, but so many people are too optimistic

After spending that much money so would i

It's funny how butthurt some United fans get over various social media platforms.

One thing I've never understood is how a lot of them have never witnessed a game in the flesh.

Random from United Arab Emirates says "Leicester are going to get a beating after we slapped QPR".

Cringe.

Pure EPL banter straight from Lagos.

But surely if they were beating the majority of teams they wouldn't be sleeping. The Wolves side of the mid eighties were always described as sleeping giants, and seemed quite fair.

One club that I've always though had the potential to be much bigger are Bristol City. With the size of the catchment area etc, I'm surprised no one has taken them further.

Bristol City - forever badly managed at director level, also suffer from having no real big club local to them to nab cast offs (say like Crewe did when they were successful and a lot of the lower level London clubs).

In fact you could say the same about Bristol Rovers. The fact they are playing conference football is really a disgrace really, smacks of complete mismanagement.

I will be interested to see who start's at RB because in my opinion Simpson is more solid in defence than De leat but then going forward De leat has more pace so there is a trade off either way. The other interesting thing will be upfront, I would love to see vardy start and where a lot of people will say Nugent should be dropped I disagree because he is doing so much off the ball at the moment to keep his place in the side. Else where I would say Cambiassio will make his home debut, Im also going to say that Lawrence will make the bench a player I am excited to see play personally. 

Genuinely believe we will cause Man Utd problem's as we have pace to hurt there defence, they won't enjoy playing against Ulloa and Mahrez imo! I will be happy with a draw and maybe even a sneaky 2-1 win!

Having held and almost beaten Arsenal Man U should not hold any fears for us.

We do need to avoid defending quite so deep.There were times in the Arsenal game when we defended on the edge of our box.We got away with that ,despite inviting pressure against Arsenal, because they like to work passes to create a goal.Man U have more potent firepower,any one of 4 or 5 will welcome a shot from 20/25 yards.

Against QPR Blind was allowed time and space to dictate.We are unlikely to give him that luxury.As previous posters have said City play a pressing,tempo game which Man U may not find easy.I won't be surprised if we initially play a 4231 or 433 with the extra man in midfield to deny Man U space in midfield.

I hope we nick a win but a draw is probably realistic,

We may be a far superior side to QPR right now, but their ineptitude at OT last week will have imbued Yanited with confidence.

It'll be a tough afternoon for our back four and our front line will have to be at their best at the other end. 

A narrow 2-1 defeat in my opinion. Mahrez to score for us with Di Maria and Rooney for them.

Right. Don't know what to think abou t this game, other than that I'm very excited about it.

A few weeks ago, I genuinely thought we'd batter these lot.

They win one game and the daft bastard pundits seem to think they've become a world-beating force overnight.

Yes, fair enough, it was a pretty comprehensive victory. But, let's not forget, QPR are absolute dog shit.

I hope they turn up cocky after their little victory and we stun them. We need to show their new boys that not every game in the prem will be as easy as playing against those overpaid, under skilled, under motivated, tacticless mercenaries at QPR.

This might be reality o'clock. We grabbed a single goal victory and confidence is good. Whilst they spent a fortune and finally started to look like a team in patches. We all know a battering or two will come our way this season. Horrible feeling this might be one of them. Let's not get carried away by one win - for us to get anything out of this game would be an astonishing achievement. But these are the fixtures we've craved. So enjoy it one and all. No matter what the score, it's better than playing Yeovil!!!

Archived