Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jon the Hat

2015 Election season ..........stuff it in here.

Somehow she's worth 11million as well, she's done alright for herself there.

I love the idea that the greens are going to pay just for being alive :thumbup:  But yeah they are clueless fantasists. 

The Green council in Brighton has one of the worst recycling records in the country and their hole tenure in Brighton seems to have been a shambles

Funny article about the Greens in Brighton, the Brighton council leader is called Jason Kitcat, which also made me chuckle for some reason...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9342592/brighton-has-become-an-object-lesson-in-why-it-is-a-disaster-to-vote-green/

Just watched this, that was seriously painful.

When a failed member of a girl band can take you apart in a political debate, it's probably time to decide you probably shouldn't be trying to be prime minister.

As for this....

Greens: People earning more than £100,000 a year would pay 50% income tax. Wealth tax of 1% to 2% on people worth £3m or more. Renationalise the railways and energy companies. Scrap HS2. Allow councils to impose extra business rates on out-of-town supermarkets to fund small local businesses. Crackdown on tax avoidance by multinationals. Allow "the current dependence on economic growth to cease, and allow zero or negative growth to be feasible without individual hardship". Commit Britain to a "zero carbon" future.

Greens: Abolish right to buy. Give councils the power to borrow money to build houses or buy them on the open market.

Greens: The party backs a Citizen's Income, a fixed amount to be paid to every individual, whether they are in work or not, to be funded by higher taxes on the better off and green levies. But in the short-term it would increase the minimum wage to £10 by 2020. Ban zero hours contracts. Axe the "bedroom tax". Abolish the work capability assessment and restore the level of the former disability living allowance.

It's amazing to think a political party can write this about a country that has a debt of 1,400billion and a rising deficit, thank god they don't have any power. I know I said I'd stop saying this but if that lot got anywhere near it would be time to get out as quickly as possible, we'd we bankrupt within a year let alone 5 years into a term with them.

How many of those people they would be inflicting a 'wealth tax' on do they seriously expect to stay when they also want to stay in an EU that allows people to live where they want across the continent?

If even the people of Brighton kick that lot out next year then take the message. Do Bennett and Lucas actually live in such a bubble they think the whole of UK is as wealthy as Brighton Pavillion?

Typical minority approach, though. Similar with UKIP. They have their agenda that they bang relentlessly and the rest (i.e. the 95% of other issues faced by a Government) are either never discussed or take the approach most likely to please the voters, however inconsistent it might. I guess why both making your policies add up if you have no realistic chance of winning the election?

Typical minority approach, though. Similar with UKIP. They have their agenda that they bang relentlessly and the rest (i.e. the 95% of other issues faced by a Government) are either never discussed or take the approach most likely to please the voters, however inconsistent it might. I guess why both making your policies add up if you have no realistic chance of winning the election?

True of the Lib Dems back at the start of the millenium as well - when you aren't going to get in, what does it matter what your policies are?

My main problem with the greens tbh is their stance on GMOs and Nuclear power - they act like hippies and ignore that GMOs have been repeatedly tested and are safe, and that nuclear power isn't dangerous - disasters like three mile, chernoybl and fukashima always come back to human error or natural disasters: but it's perfectly safe normally.

Somehow she's worth 11million as well, she's done alright for herself there.

I love the idea that the greens are going to pay just for being alive :thumbup:  But yeah they are clueless fantasists. 

The Green council in Brighton has one of the worst recycling records in the country and their whole tenure in Brighton seems to have been a shambles

I had a bit of fun with a few Green supporters over the weekend, if you tell them you are considering voting for UKIP 90% of the time they respond with hidden policies and trying to tell you that you aren't aware what you are voting for, I used the line 'Who is the Green party leader I'll have a look at them' to a few and got the answer of either 'I don't actually know or Caroline Lucas'.

It's amusing watching someone squirm that they don't even know the leader of a party they intend to vote for whilst accusing you of doing the same thing regarding policy.

Of course, and the real problem now we have is even the Tories and Labour are having to promise things they can't afford just like the Greens and UKIP because if they told the truth they wouldn't get near being elected.

It's about time all the main parties made a joint statement, told the people the exact truth about the deficit and all made a commitment to cutting it, to keep running at a deficit with 1,400billion worth of debt is madness and leading us to complete financial ruin.

I read in the Times last week that in 2018 our biggest actual financial outlay for the country will be paying interest on our debt, we'll actually be spunking more money on interest on a debt into thin air than we will on the NHS, schools, pensions etc - it's unreal, the politicians who caused this and forced it onto the children of the national should be hung, cut and quartered.

They should let each party rule the country for two weeks and then the public can choose which one they like the most.

Ouch.

That would be terrible, two weeks of just blowing as much money as possible to try and show you are competent and popular, it takes time to do a good job whether you are a football manager, an architect or a government minister.

Trouble with the debt is, government have been adept at hiding it so it is actually worse than it is. Public sector pensions have been too generous for years, but we are committed to paying out lavish pensions for the next 40 years that we really can't afford. The retirement age has not risen quickly enough despite the fact it needed too and this is costing us.

We've been building public infrastructure on finance that threatens to cripple individual departments and we are committed to paying these instalments for decades in many cases.

I have no problem with the government borrowing money because they do so at extremely low interest rates, we don't need to run a surplus or even necessarily balance the books, but the deficit needs to be brought under control. However, it isn't achieved by austerity or tax increases but by genuine economic recovery. There is no short term fix.

Think this should probably be the official politics thread from now on so I'll whack a Rochester by Election write up in here instead of opening a new thread.

Quite a big one given it looks highly likely UKIP will gain there second MP with Mark Reckless heavy odds on to win. A huge margin of victory would be an absolute disaster for the Tories and leave him facing further defections as many of his backbenchers start to realise they could have far more chance of being re-elected to parliament under the UKIP banner than the Conservatives.

Once a seat Labour could win this (did in 2005 abeit slightly different boundaries) but like many in the South they used to win it looks a seat long gone to them after the Blair/Brown regime, Miliband won't be able to take the piss too much if his votes drops too far (they got 28.5% in 2010)

Green's are quietly optimistic of saving a deposit which would be a pretty decent result in an area where they have absolutely no previous support. Local members were claiming on BBC DP they are getting a far better response than polls are giving them.

Lib Dems disaster will continue, they won't even save the deposit here after getting 16% last time, how his own MP's haven't yet ousted Clegg is a bigger mystery than how Labour's haven't ousted Milband, you can only think time is the only factor, were both of the parties poll ratings as low as this two years back change would already have occured I'm sure. (although can you oust a deputy PM? I should know that, probably not)

An absolute shitload of others candidates as well just here for publicity, about time they raised the amount to stand in a by-election to stop this nonsense.

Prediction. Comfy UKIP win with around 40-41% of the vote, Tories in second with about 31-32%, Labour in third place with about 20-21%...Lib Dems to drop below 3% and lose to the Greens. 

Probably should be named as a more general politics thread rather than 2015 election stuff.

I don't think a big margin will lead to any more defections, it will be bruising but that's about it. I think Ukip would be most interested in getting a Labour defection now, I guess that's not too likely but you never know. It's not a typical Ukip seat and tbh I'd expect it to go back to Conservative next year, unlike Clacton.

I'd go with 

Ukip 44%

Conservative 32%

Labour 16%

Greens 4%

Lib Dems 2%

I actually can believe Emily Thornberry has done this lol They must be trying to lose the election.

Thanks you anyway for reminding every working class person exactly what you think of them.

The Labour party is now publicly showing what a lot of people think, just as middle class and snobby towards working class than the Tories are.

BBC reporting Ed Miliband aide has said he's never seen him so bad, I actually have to feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, with MP's like that who needs enemies?

As a photographer, I thought it was a cracking photo that perfectly captured the whole by election. Maybe she has a future as a photo journalist? Bit harsh to force her to resign. Dunno why anybody in the public eye uses twitter though, recipe for disaster.

No by election no, just from the cabinet. Will struggle to pull herself back from this though.

The middle class Islington left wing elite showing itself to be no better than the Eton right wing elite when it comes to snobbery towards the working class is just something Labour can't afford at all anymore.

Who started that thread about Labour hating the English? You can certainly sign Emily Thornberry up to that list given her distain for the St Georges flag.

No by election no, just from the cabinet. Will struggle to pull herself back from this though.

The middle class Islington left wing elite showing itself to be no better than the Eton right wing elite when it comes to snobbery towards the working class is just something Labour can't afford at all anymore.

Who started that thread about Labour hating the English? You can certainly sign Emily Thornberry up to that list given her distain for the St Georges flag.

Maybe they are trying to appeal too the lib dem, self loather voters :dunno:

Old Ed just can't catch a fookin break.. if was raining soup he would have a fork..

May be something that blog says, instead of The Tory's being headlines it will be Laour. They are saying the same on the election programme. According to the blog she is not like she is portrayed. She was born in a council house and was popular and a good representative of her consistency...

Anyway I'm off bed. IDS is on and I can't stand having to watch his smirk for another two hours.

Am i missing something because i really can't see what is offensive about tweeting a picture of a house with st georges flags and a white van.

It's the insinuation that Rochester is obviously a bit of a scum hole as it has people who drive white vans and hang England flags out the window.

It helps those who claim that the Miliband/Balls/Harman led Labour party is ran by the out of touch London Islington elite - the funniest thing about it is she's the MP for Islington lol

Archived