Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jon the Hat

2015 Election season ..........stuff it in here.

Maybe they're not voting UKIP because of immigration?

edited to say that's a piss-poorly phrased sentence. Maybe it's not immigration that made them vote UKIP.

Maybe, although it's difficult not to imagine immigration and the EU are the biggest reasons people vote UKIP

edit: from last year 

'New YouGov research examines the motivations of Britons who say they would vote UKIP in a general election. More than three-quarters (76%) cite a desire to see immigration to Britain reduced, and 59% say a desire to see Britain leave the European Union – the primary objective of the party at its founding in 1991 – is what made them vote UKIP.'

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/05/03/immigration-and-europe-give-ukip-appeal/

People (not me) mainly vote Ukip I think because they are fed up with being sneered at and patronised by the main parties. They are a 2 fingered salute to the establishment.

True, but there are other parties that don't concentrate on anti-immigration and EU policies who they could go to.

Those stats would suggest otherwise. You seriously think there are other reasons that are a greater influence on voters?

I never said greater influence, those stats suggest there are other reasons for 25%. You said it was difficult to imagine any other reason, I disagree. :)

Why is immigration such a big deal for a lot of people, I'm not massively keen on it but I can't understand why so many people feel so strongly about it whilst barely encountering any leeching, scrounging ne'er do wells.

Because the country can't sustain 250000 more people coming in every year.

Because the country can't sustain 250000 more people coming in every year.

We voted for a common market.. nobody bothered to ask the British people if we wanted to be ruled by nameless faceless people in Brussels..and have open door immigration with us having no say what so ever. its a fookin joke. all we ever hear is how good it is for the economy..there are more important things in life than just the bottom line.

I'd agree with this with their current state.

Definitely disagree with the statement that most people would send their kids to private school if they could. It would be my last choice.

What a load of shit.  Do you have kids?  You are really telling me you would leave them in a school where they were largely ignored because the majority of kids had English as a second language?  Or where drugs and gang troubles were rife?  Or where the level of facilities was appalling?  I don't believe you. 

What a load of shit.  Do you have kids?  You are really telling me you would leave them in a school where they were largely ignored because the majority of kids had English as a second language?  Or where drugs and gang troubles were rife?  Or where the level of facilities was appalling?  I don't believe you.

Not sure that's what he said at all

I think you've quite clearly misconstrued what he was saying. People don't mean everything they say to be taken literally.

Anyway, private school's a waste of money. Anyone who approaches GCSEs with the right attitude is very likely succeed even with the boisterous classrooms you get in state schools.

Yeah sorry I didn't make that clear - I meant as in it would be a last case scenario where the other schools had really serious problems like you've mentioned.

I think you've quite clearly misconstrued what he was saying. People don't mean everything they say to be taken literally.

Anyway, private school's a waste of money. Anyone who approaches GCSEs with the right attitude is very likely succeed even with the boisterous classrooms you get in state schools.

Are you as likely to approach GCSEs with the right attitude if you're in a boisterous state school? I don't know, but personally, I doubt it.

Another reason I am cynical about MP's. Two of them prevented a bill going through by talking through the time allotted thus not allowing enough time for a vote. The bill was for a change in the housing law to prevent private landlords evicting tenants for little or nor reason if a complaint was lodged about lack of repairs, poor maintenance etc. The Two Mp's are both private landlords.

People have been made homeless because of this flaw in the housing act.

Is this right? It gives the decent landlords a bad name and is unfair to tenants who only want a safe environment to live in.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/these-two-tory-mp-landlords-just-blocked-a-bill-banning-reve

Are you as likely to approach GCSEs with the right attitude if you're in a boisterous state school? I don't know, but personally, I doubt it.

Just to clarify, are you saying that students who go to state school enter with the wrong attitude or that they lose their willingness to succeed after being in the the wrong environment?

From my own experience at school I could see that those who approached education in a positive manner did well. I think that comes from the home and that less well of parents don't need to be concerned about having to send their child to a state school if they've instilled the right mindset in their son or daughter.

Just to clarify, are you saying that students who go to state school enter with the wrong attitude or that they lose their willingness to succeed after being in the the wrong environment?

From my own experience at school I could see that those who approached education in a positive manner did well. I think that comes from the home and that less well of parents don't need to be concerned about having to send their child to a state school if they've instilled the right mindset in their son or daughter.

The latter.

Archived