Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Asha

Poker

I had one S&G game when I got in last night. Laid down KK on the turn. thinking about it I am wondering whether I should have done because despite a bad board I had the odds. I raised UTG and had one caller. Flop came two diamonds with an ace. I made a small CB Turn another diamond. I checked he bet. I looked at the board and thought he is either calling with top pair a flush or bluffing. As it was the first hand I had no info and folded and showed. There were around 250 chips in the middle 40 to call.

I know I was getting the odds but but I felt  I was behind.

Finished up coming second so not too bad in the end and it was not a huge pot ( was  giving up.

I had one S&G game when I got in last night. Laid down KK on the turn. thinking about it I am wondering whether I should have done because despite a bad board I had the odds. I raised UTG and had one caller. Flop came two diamonds with an ace. I made a small CB Turn another diamond. I checked he bet. I looked at the board and thought he is either calling with top pair a flush or bluffing. As it was the first hand I had no info and folded and showed. There were around 250 chips in the middle 40 to call.

I know I was getting the odds but but I felt  I was behind.

Finished up coming second so not too bad in the end and it was not a huge pot ( was  giving up.

Sounds like he was floating the flop just to raise the turn, still a weird bet size though.

Snap call with Kings in that position. maybe if the turn bet was 100-150 I put him on a ace, any more and I think he's bluffing.

Sounds like you've spent quite a bit of time researching that! I bet you have nightmares about the number 6790!

I worked it out on the next break!

I was left with <2 big blinds but managed to spin in up to become chip leader! Lack of experience being deep in £200 tourneys mixed with a feeling of invincibility after about 6 double ups though and I ended up making a stupid call with AQ when villain obviously had AK and I was crippled again. Busted in 29th after being 2nd in chips when the bubble burst on 43 players. Still, the cash was good for £530 and I gained experience of how not to play with a chip lead stack. I also learnt my biggest weakness is managing my emotions. I got so tilted before but playing £200 tourneys a bit more regular I can take those beats as part of the game. If/when I step up to £1000 or more buy-in tournaments I know I'll be ready to not make the same mistakes I did when I stepped up to £200's

Played my first cash game today, micro stakes and bought in for $15.

Played about 150 hands and actually did okay, played tight and then made sizeable bets when I did play, hovered around break even for a while before steadily getting up to around $27. Had a bit of a howler in the end, was on the phone and in SB, I thought the whole table had folded so bet 5BB with K8 suited to get the BB to fold to steal which he did. However turns out someone else had min raised and I hadn't even noticed, who then called. Schoolboy.

Needless to say flopped nothing, ended up making a pot sized bet to try and represent a stronger hand which got called and then we limped through to showdown and I ended up with about $21. Turns out it would have been my last hand anyway as I was making arrangements to go out for lunch so was a bit of a kick in the bollocks, but still pleased to at least break even in my first game and be competitive considering I'm a complete novice.

Just played in 3 S&G's won the 3rd. One of the players was called DogeCorby and had a City badge as an avatar. Anyone on here?

There is a freeroll tournament starting at 3pm (15 min) Nearly 6800 entrants so far.1080  places paid. 7000 now.

Still in at first break. 1560/3590 with just below average chips and rebuys and add on available. Been a bit mad. First hand two all ins one 62 other 53. 53 hit 3 on turn. Not had cards or opportunity to see many flops. One showdown when all in which I won.

Started again/ Just had AKo All in on flop called by A9s. the hit flush on river. Add on break. BB 250 I have 4250

2nd break 763/1127. 19774 entrants. Ruddy blinds are going up fast. 1000 200 ante. I havearound 12000.

just about OK. Well it would be if I never had AA and all folded after other hands there had been reraises.

1069 36c Largest stack is over 238k average 28k  I went out with 12k :)

Still in at first break. 1560/3590 with just below average chips and rebuys and add on available. Been a bit mad. First hand two all ins one 62 other 53. 53 hit 3 on turn. Not had cards or opportunity to see many flops. One showdown when all in which I won.

Started again/ Just had AKo All in on flop called by A9s. the hit flush on river. Add on break. BB 250 I have 4250

2nd break 763/1127. 19774 entrants. Ruddy blinds are going up fast. 1000 200 ante. I havearound 12000.

just about OK. Well it would be if I never had AA and all folded after other hands there had been reraises.

1069 36c Largest stack is over 238k average 28k  I went out with 12k :)

Do you play many cash games or nearly all tourneys? I tried a S&G and came 141/990 but it seemed really frantic and more luck-orientated so I decided not to go for another at the moment.

Over the course of the weekend I've managed to come out about $35 up over around 500 hands, give or take, on 25NL. Given that I've played fairly tight and over quite a few hours I don't think it's down to luck too much. Although I must admit I didn't expect to be able to come out on top quite so quickly, so who knows?

I've signed up to Poker VT and tried to follow the beginners advice on there as much as possible along with watching plenty of online footage with comms, so maybe I'm just playing a sensible game that enables me to be competitive against better players, time will tell I guess. I'll probably post in a few days after my first losses with a different perspective! Haha.

I started off with limit poker. If you play tight in that and watch the odds you should do OK. NL is different. I don't seem to do so good as in S&G. Just played two at once.A 9 and a 6 seater. Only because I registerred for two and they both filled up at the same time.

2nd in the 6 and 4th in the nine. Wasn't easy doing two. I don't know how people play more.

With the multi table I only play Free roll. Well nearly Freerolla free ticket and paid $1 plus 10 plus 20c for each rebuy I would need to get in the top 100 to get it back.

Playing tight and premium hands is a good way to start.Read some books on it and watch TV and YouTube games and tutorials. I'm still learning myself in a way. I'm not very quick when it comes to working out odds.I avoid the crazy players at the beginning and let them knock each other out then bully the remainder.

Played a cash game at my mates the other night

Pocket kings in hand. Small/mid raise which gets called. Happy days

Flop is

3 (hearts)

K (hearts)

6 (hearts)

What's the play next?

I went all in. Lost to J 10 (hearts)

Been a while since I played so still quite rusty

Did you just open shove?

Id obviously put out a C-bet to see how I'm fairing. If I then get re raised, depending on how much it is, I'd either call to see if my hand hits the full house or better to win a massive pot against the flush, or fold if the re raise on the flop was massive.

Did you just open shove?

Id obviously put out a C-bet to see how I'm fairing. If I then get re raised, depending on how much it is, I'd either call to see if my hand hits the full house or better to win a massive pot against the flush, or fold if the re raise on the flop was massive.

Yeah I had him easily covered so just shoved. Probably had double the chips he had so thought it was worth the risk.

Yeah I had him easily covered so just shoved. Probably had double the chips he had so thought it was worth the risk.

If you don't get cold decked there you're far too cautious a player. Yes, he might have the Ace or Jack flush (as he did) but even if he does you've got redraws and he might well be drawing himself. Your play was fine.

If you don't get cold decked there you're far too cautious a player. Yes, he might have the Ace or Jack flush (as he did) but even if he does you've got redraws and he might well be drawing himself. Your play was fine.

Open shoving on a flushed board to a pre flop caller wasn't the right play, the fact he lost proves that.

2 suited cards are easily in the villains pre flop calling range.

Obviously all this depends massively on what the stacks and pot sizes were, but there's no reason to go from a decent stack to not so decent when you have no idea how strong a player to act is.

In my very limited experience the same-suit flop would have been a worry for me and I don't think I'd have shoved with trips.

Did you just open shove?

I guess this is what I would have done being wary about them flopping the flush.

Open shoving on a flushed board to a pre flop caller wasn't the right play, the fact he lost proves that.

2 suited cards are easily in the villains pre flop calling range.

Obviously all this depends massively on what the stacks and pot sizes were, but there's no reason to go from a decent stack to not so decent when you have no idea how strong a player to act is.

Yeah, agree that the c-bet is the best play here, but I don't mind the shove when he's got a fair few more chips than the villain - puts the shorter stack to the test for all his chips, and drives out the draws or brings them in having made the wrong choice in doing so. It's only the Ace, Queen or Jack flushes that snap call - weaker flushes might even hesitate thinking they're being outflushed.

Also, if I made a c-bet in this situation and then faced a big raise/shove from a stack who had half my chips, I'm honestly not sure if I could muster the strength to lay this one down.

Having thought about this a bit more it definitely would have been a very difficult hand but I think that OP could have got away with it much more cheaply. After a c-bet he would presumably have faced a hefty re-raise by which point you would have to assume or at least be thinking that he'd flopped the flush and probably end up folding the Kings. Not an easy call either way.

The shove is a strange one to me. Surely you'd only get called by a flush? Make a small c-bet and if you get shoved on, then it's down to your read on the player to decide if he has the flush or not. A lot of players could shove there with just the Ah.

This was the first hand in a tourney I played in yesterday. Some players are crazy. Three all ins first hand pre-flop.. Why?

10429479_10152437264572003_2808591791792

Was this the free roll? This happens all the time in tourneys with free to low buy-in. Even in the 6-max hyper-turbo SnGs any ace, pocket pair, or 2 Broadway cards and the chips will go in- regardless of buy in. Eg- the $74 Sunday million sat. Top 2 get a seat worth $215 and the rest get zilch

Yes It's tickets from the poker school. There are 3 rebuys so I assume they think they have nothing to lose. I prefer to wait a few hands and just play late position and try to pick up some blinds.I may play suited connecters and pairs if cheap to see a flop. This is perhaps why I lag behind in chips.

The KK hand I may just have made the CB. The board would have put  me off shoving. Even a safe board I may not have shoved. If he hit a pair he may have called a medium bet and would get more from the pot. I am not an expert though and whether I could fold trips I am not sure. I have done the same or similar not thinking they had a flush VS my decent hand.

Just won another 6 max S&G, Just under 6 Euro. Starting to win more. The other week lost about £50 on cash games.Recovered about 15.

I started with 100 bank roll and added 20 when it was at around 93. so need around 45 to break even. Think I'll do it by Xmas ....2015?

The shove is a strange one to me. Surely you'd only get called by a flush? Make a small c-bet and if you get shoved on, then it's down to your read on the player to decide if he has the flush or not. A lot of players could shove there with just the Ah.

Yeah, but you want to chase out the draws too. You don't want someone with just one high heart in their hand getting a cheap look at a flush draw. 

It's a tough situation to handle, I think. I think you're damned either way, though the c-bet option does make a bit more sense.

Just won another 6 max S&G, Just under 6 Euro. Starting to win more. The other week lost about £50 on cash games.Recovered about 15.

I started with 100 bank roll and added 20 when it was at around 93. so need around 45 to break even. Think I'll do it by Xmas ....2015

Not having a go but I thought you always spoke about how you believed benefits were being unfairly denied etc? I was under the impression you were on them so if this is how they get spent god help us all!

ps..sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Archived